Pro Plus Owners: Has Any External DAC Transformed SQ For You?

Sketcher

Not finding much online regarding the Plus in conjunction with external DACs and was wondering if anyone is using such a combo and, if so, do you think it’s made a big, little, or no difference to overall sound quality. If it’s made a worthwhile difference to you, would love to hear about the rest of the system it’s making the difference in.
Thanks!

Reactions: SWM
I think the Dac in the Pro Plus is amazing, I've had a few customers phone me to come listen, they have it in setups where you would expect to find the higher end steamers like Aurender and the likes.. and they can't stop singing it's praises.

I've have to agree that it's really really good, I hear a difference when I change over to my Theta Dac, it has more body and better Bass definition but I don't seem to miss it that much when listening to the Pro Plus internal Dac.

Noise and distortion of the WiiM’s internal DAC lays beyond non-audiophile hearing ability. Tho there are ppl out there who say they can actually hear difference between DACs, power supplies, cables, 16 and 24bits etc. I think the only way to know for sure is try an external DAC (better a few). If you think it sounds better - then yeah, it sounds better.

Not specifically the Pro Plus but I have the Pro connected to my Audio-GD R7 Mk2. It sounds amazing. I actually replaced a higher priced streamer for the Wiim when using Toslink.

If my DAC wasn't already here a Pro Plus on its own or a Pro with a budget DAC around 100-150 € would do the job.
The only reason I run a relatively expensive DAC is that I didn't want to affront my also relatively expensive CD transport and to marry it with a not appropriate partner. They please my eyes together ;-) It is a decision for look and feel. For sound a much cheaper solution would not make a difference in my opinion.
The reason is that the DAC left a few more connection options free. And for what it shall do the Pro is perfect all over.

I think you should experiment with different DACs yourself since people hear things differently. Also it depends on your setup. If you have some highly resolving headphones then you may well hear differences in DACs, amps, cables etc. If you are mainly listening through speakers in a normal room then the differences become much more difficult to detect.

It really is an experiment to see what sounds best in your system. I did a lot A/B testing to find the right combination for all my equipment. The more expensive option was not always the winner for me.

Don't forget about room treatment, speaker placement, and the EQ built into the Wiim. Those will probably do more for sound improvements than the DAC would and be cheaper. You can use REW with a calibrated mic to you 90% there then fine tune to taste. Do this last after you have the speakers and room treatment set.

Noise and distortion of the WiiM’s internal DAC lays beyond non-audiophile hearing ability. Tho there are ppl out there who say they can actually hear difference between DACs, power supplies, cables, 16 and 24bits etc. I think the only way to know for sure is try an external DAC (better a few). If you think it sounds better - then yeah, it sounds better.
Well said.

Back