WiiM Pro Plus with Geshelli Labs J2S/Sparkos/AKM 4499?

Sketcher

Recent purchaser of the WiiM Pro Plus. Was wondering if anyone has tried this unit with a maxed out Geshelli Labs J2S DAC (Sparkos Op amp/AKM 4499 chip option) and, if so, what your impressions were. Was it a big improvement, slight improvement, or “other”? Did the EQ function of your Pro Plus still function in this configuration? What did you find to be the best connection to use between your Pro Plus and J2S and what interconnect cable worked best for you?

Thanks!

Try a forum search for Geshelli, it’s been mentioned a few times.

EQ/PEQ work irrespective of you using the WiiM’s optical or analog outputs.

As for the best connection, only you can decide as your kit, speakers, room acoustics, preferences, ears and brain are different from everyone else’s.

I can't say I've had any experience with the Geshelli. But I've had experience with the Wiim.
Mini,
Pro,
pro-plus, (sold it because if seemed to bright)
Pro 2nd time. Sold it because what I read about the analog made me want to give the plus another try, and back to the
Pro Plus again. So, what changed?
The filters! Never knew they were there. Under "audio output" in the app there are 6 filter selections. If, like me you're sensitive to "ringing" there's are options here to calm that stuff down. The difference is subtle, but real. The default is full-on high definition. The selections "smooth" stuff out some. This is a pretty big deal to be buried under the menus. The Pro Plus with the slow roll off filter applied through the emotiva amp sounds like real music used to sound. Don't give up on the "plus" until you experiment with the filters.

I can't say I've had any experience with the Geshelli. But I've had experience with the Wiim.
Mini,
Pro,
pro-plus, (sold it because if seemed to bright)
Pro 2nd time. Sold it because what I read about the analog made me want to give the plus another try, and back to the
Pro Plus again. So, what changed?
The filters! Never knew they were there. Under "audio output" in the app there are 6 filter selections. If, like me you're sensitive to "ringing" there's are options here to calm that stuff down. The difference is subtle, but real. The default is full-on high definition. The selections "smooth" stuff out some. This is a pretty big deal to be buried under the menus. The Pro Plus with the slow roll off filter applied through the emotiva amp sounds like real music used to sound. Don't give up on the "plus" until you experiment with the filters.
I agree that changing the filter settings made a big difference with the Pro+ while using my headphones. I'm really sensitive to "ringing" as well. That is why I've spent so much time investigating DACs. Just a few really strong ss's and T's and I'm done. I ended up with an R2R DAC which has zero ringing.

Sibilance is my pet peeve as well. Can I ask which R2R DAC had the zero ringing issues for you?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I can see how you could be nonplussed (original, proper meaning), but it made sense to me - in the 'pro and pro plus' sub-forum, the mini pro had to be the non-plus version ;)

Back