Comparing the Pro/Pro Plus to the Mini

K-L

Been using the Wiim Mini since it's arrival to the marketplace. I purely use it's digital out to an external DAC and the sound is fabulous. Recently I saw a video on YT where the presenter did a comparision of the Mini/Pro/Pro Plus utilizing the digital outs. It was of his opinion via testing that the Pro and Pro Plus both exceeded the sound reproduction via digital out as compared to the Mini (no difference between the Pro models). Wondering if others have had real world comparisons with these models but ONLY via digital output to external DACs. Thanks-

Thanks. I am aware of this. Just wondering what forum members have experienced.

Been using the Wiim Mini since it's arrival to the marketplace. I purely use it's digital out to an external DAC and the sound is fabulous. Recently I saw a video on YT where the presenter did a comparision of the Mini/Pro/Pro Plus utilizing the digital outs. It was of his opinion via testing that the Pro and Pro Plus both exceeded the sound reproduction via digital out as compared to the Mini (no difference between the Pro models). Wondering if others have had real world comparisons with these models but ONLY via digital output to external DACs. Thanks-

If you ask let's say 100 people (especially in a forum like this one) you will get at least 120 "all objective experiences". From The Cult's light infantry on one side to the old-fashioned "ear only deciding".
Both approaches have their merits.
My only warning is: Beware of advices from self-declared "audiophiles". 😉
I would try it myself, the invest with the WiiMs is really small.

Mini toslink is as good as it gets.

index.php

My opinion is that the Mini is really basic, unsophisticated design. It's visible more on the analog output but to some extend also on the digital one. So, for many DACs it will not make any difference, but for some, let's say a bit "specific" or less advanced, the Pro/Pro plus will bring an advantage.

My opinion is that the Mini is really basic, unsophisticated design. It's visible more on the analog output but to some extend also on the digital one. So, for many DACs it will not make any difference, but for some, let's say a bit "specific" or less advanced, the Pro/Pro plus will bring an advantage.
Yes. If I remember correctly, the jitter and noise was slightly lower on the pro models compared to the WiiM mini , according to your measurements ?

For me, my Rega dac R sounds slightly better ( slightly clearer and more dynamic ) using the coaxial spdif between the WiiM pro and my dac, compared to using toslink. I have no idea why.

Last edited:
That's the graphical difference between the Mini and the Pro when both are connected to miniDSP Flex, multitone:

1705827244660.png

TD+N difference in numbers is 23 dB, -77 dB vs -100 dB. Is it audible? No idea. Is it measurable? Obviously.

That's the graphical difference between the Mini and the Pro when both are connected to miniDSP Flex, multitone:

View attachment 4692

TD+N difference in numbers is 23 dB, -77 dB vs -100 dB. Is it audible? No idea. Is it measurable? Obviously.
Every 3db is a doubling of the SPL of the total harmonic distortion and noise …About 7 times lower

View attachment 4692

To be specific - is this digital connection from the WiiMs to the Minidsp flex , and measured on the flex analog output ?

Back