WiiM Pro+ / Mini - Passive Preamp Audio Quality

awdioguy

I'm getting a WiiM Mini or Pro+. In the chart below, the Pro+ has the better analog performance over the Mini.

My question is ... if I want to connect a turntable to the WiiM and use it as a Passive Preamp (just to control the volume) before sending it downstream to an external DAC/amp/speakers etc. -- will the audio signal differ between the WiiM models? Or will the Mini sound equally as good as the Pro+ in the passive pathway for media such as vinyl?

Thanks,
wiim.jpg

This is the measurement of the WiiM pro by @VintageFlanker. This is the change in sound quality when the volume is turned down with Pro. Plus would have a similar result, but @onlyoneme might know.

Screenshot_2023-10-31-15-46-25-055_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Thread 'My WiiM Pro Plus (+) tests' https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/my-wiim-pro-plus-tests.1235/

The turntable has to be phono preamped.
The use of WiiM in the way you think, implies that is not a passive preamp, the signal from phono, is digitized, controlled in volume and maybe in EQ, then converted in analog again.
The pro plus is far better, especially in the ADC stage.
I was thinking something of similar, using the tape monitor bus, and definitely I would go with pro plus.

The turntable has to be phono preamped.
The use of WiiM in the way you think, implies that is not a passive preamp, the signal from phono, is digitized, controlled in volume and maybe in EQ, then converted in analog again.
The pro plus is far better, especially in the ADC stage.
I was thinking something of similar, using the tape monitor bus, and definitely I would go with pro plus.

You are correct. I forgot to mention there'd be a phono preamp between the record player and WiiM.

I'm new to audio so not the greatest at understanding all the charts. I guess my question boils down to the use of the WiiM as a volume control for a record player -- and whether the performance is the same across the board for all the WiiM models? Or if the improved ADC in the Pro+ has a bearing on this?

As an aside, I think the DAC of the WiiM Pro+ is fine. But a part of me would rather have an external DAC and swap out the separates as needed. I'm just getting into the hobby and everything tells me the performance of DACs will keep getting better as prices continue to drop.

Aren't its 192khz 24bit sampling rate worth, for intense analogue input use?
It isn't. The ADC performance is already worse (indeed) than even a clean 16/44 signal. 192kHz sampling rate doesn't bring anything here (nor it is relevant for a signal that has no content in ultrasonics to begin with, no to mention that none could hear anyway). There's no peace of mind here. ;)
However, max input voltage is important, and an improvement over the Pro & Mini.

Let's say I wasn't pointing the number itself but the chance that ADC on pro plus could be more recent and therefore better?

If the main driver is the ADC capability then there are far better products available than any of the WiiMs

What exactly do you want to do?

Not really. There is no mention of streaming the audio to a second device just controlling the volume.
I don’t see any mention of streaming to a second device other than “sending it downstream to an external DAC/amp/speaker”. Don’t see your angle at all…

I don’t see any mention of streaming to a second device other than “sending it downstream to an external DAC/amp/speaker”. Don’t see your angle at all…
Why convert to digital only to convert back to analogue just for digital volume control? Must be something else in the requirements eg does he want to stream to second device?

I don't have volume control for the turntable. I also needed another device to connect PC and turntable to the chain. I considered a volume control knob/preamp/audio switcher/etc. or some combo of these before realizing the WiiM could solve all that, plus it gives me Bluetooth, remote control, EQ etc. while costing less and reducing clutter. I'm happy to hear other suggestions -- but that seems to be the way to go?

... so if all the WiiM models do just as good a job playing vinyl on my Elacs (they just arrived today!) I'll probably settle for the Mini with a remote and separate DAC.

PXL_20231031_172324260~3.jpg

What is running the ELACs? Or are they powered / active?

If they are powered/active, they will have their own volume control, won’t they?

If you’re instead running the ELACs off a power amp — which would mean you need volume control provided by a preamp or WiiM, be very careful! The WiiM has a startup chime that could be very loud at the WiiM’s full line-out volume.

Back