Turntable to Airplay (Wiim Pro->Wiim Mini wirelessly)

bamtobeef2

Dear all, this might be a daft question, as it comes from a music streamer newbie (I only use Chromcast at this time).

I have a turntable that in my new apartment cannot be placed in close enough proximity to the speakers (Klipsh R-41PM) for a wired connection. I wonder how I in the best and cheapest possible way can digitalize the turntable output to wirelessly stream to the speakers (if possible at all). I've come across WiiM Pro Plus, which at a glance provides the possibility of handling input from the turntable (2xRCA on backside) and provide the possibility to stream this input to Airplay 2. I don't use Airplay 2 (although I have both Macbook and iPhones), as my primary speakers in the apartment are Chromecast. The speakers are connected to an old Chromecast Audio that I use frequently for Spotify streaming. As the speakers offers multiple inputs, I figure I might be able to also buy an Wiim Mini and the stream from the turntable via the Wiim Pro Plus can be played on the speakers.

*Turntable (RCA) -> Preamp (RCA) -> Wiim Pro Plus -> "Airplay 2" -> Wiim Mini -> Optical cable -> Klipsch R-41PM.

Have I got something wrong here, does it work? Can I optimize this setup? Will there be noticeable sound issues? The speakers I have are not in any way upper-range, but have so far been sufficient for me.

I have understood that the Wiim Pro Plus doesn't stream the RCA input into Chromecast system format?

The WiiM Pro/Pro plus are chromecast receivers, not transmitters so you would need to use their airplay 2 transmission feature, but what you outline should work albeit at 16/44.1 lossless resolution iirc

Surely there's no need for airplay2 between the pro and the mini - just group the two wiims so that they play the same thing, i.e. the turntable.

Back