Casting Turntable

aferdia

Anyone able to answer this for me with regards to Airplay-casting turntable audio, please? I don't think it's been asked before.

Can I Airplay-cast to a group of Sonos speakers in a room - without any lag between speakers etc?

I presume that Wiim Pro can't see an actual Sonos group but can it create a group of it's own? I'm looking to send turntable audio to a Sonos Beam and two Symfonisk speakers in the same room.

Appreciate the help.

@aferdia
Quite sure you've checked this already?!

I hadn't checked that - I'd searched the questions on the forum - sorry about that.

My question still stands, mind you.

I know I can cast multiroom to multiple devices and obviously devices in the same room but what I'm asking is, will all three of my devices in the same room - play the same music simultaneously - synced up perfectly, without any lag?

I've been told by a hifi store customer service person that the speakers will be a little out of sync with each other - I'm checking to see if he's right (with people who've actually used the device).

Although, thinking about it, I can Chromecast to more than one device in aroom without losing sync so I don't see why I couldn't do it with Airplay. Just wanted to be sure before buying.

Thanks

@aferdia
Only found this and bet I am the least useful here when it comes to casting anything (and personally I believe that my turntables rapidly will quit working for me when they notice I send their signal wireless 😉, but that is the meaning of a radical old fashioned).
So sorry, but I am sure with a little patience you will get help here from others.
Btw...whats about a Sonos Port?

@aferdia
Only found this and bet I am the least useful here when it comes to casting anything (and personally I believe that my turntables rapidly will quit working for me when they notice I send their signal wireless 😉, but that is the meaning of a radical old fashioned).
So sorry, but I am sure with a little patience you will get help here from others.
Btw...whats about a Sonos Port?
It's Sonos' own network streamer for their own devices. It comes in at €429. You're better off not having heard of it! :)

It's Sonos' own network streamer for their own devices. It comes in at €429. You're better off not having heard of it! :)
But it works without any problem. We've used it for long. The Connect and then the Port. (And if you once want to sell it you get a really good prices 😉)

But it works without any problem. We've used it for long. The Connect and then the Port. (And if you once want to sell it you get a really good prices 😉)
Ah ok - to be honest, I was trying to avoid the extra cost - I've just spent a fortune on a speakers and decorating a music/movie room etc.

If I can get a Wiim to do the same job for €175 that makes sense for me.

This are only personal suggestions and I do not want to spend your money 😉
For Sonos I claim more than decent knowledge. It simply works. (And I bet in relation to re-sale prices it is still a good deal.)
For Chromecast, Airplay or AlexaCast I am a noob.

The Sonos devices are expensive.
The simplest (and cheapest) route using a WiiM would be to connect the turntable to a Bluetooth transmitter - paired with the Wiim.

The Sonos devices are expensive.
The simplest (and cheapest) route using a WiiM would be to connect the turntable to a Bluetooth transmitter - paired with the Wiim.
And this Bluetooth is the worst setup for a turntable (if not an Amazon plastic toy) I can imagine. Cheap for sure...in every aspect.

Anyway, I believe @d6jg does something with streaming and turntables. May be he can help?
I can stream my turntable output to multiple rooms in 16/44.1FLAC and in perfect sync (although there is a second or two lag from needledrop to sound) but I don't use a WiiM for this task.

The path is
Turntable -> Phono-preamp -> Amp (speakers off) -> Tape out -> Behringer UCA202 -> RaspberryPi running Liquidsoap/Icecast2 -> LMS -> as many players in as many rooms as I want.

LMS uses server side sync algorithims. There are no mics involved.

I can stream my turntable output to multiple rooms in 16/44.1FLAC and in perfect sync (although there is a second or two lag from needledrop to sound) but I don't use a WiiM for this task.

The path is
Turntable -> Phono-preamp -> Amp (speakers off) -> Tape out -> Behringer UCA202 -> RaspberryPi running Liquidsoap/Icecast2 -> LMS -> as many players in as many rooms as I want.

Sounds pretty easy 😉

The path is

That's way beyond my knowledge grade! Thanks for the help though!

So does anyone actually know for sure if I can use the Wiim Pro to send audio directly to 3 Sonos speakers in the same room - in sync - via Airplay?

And this Bluetooth is the worst setup for a turntable (if not an Amazon plastic toy) I can imagine. Cheap for sure...in every aspect.
That's just audio snobbery. There are numerous factors which determine what you actually hear. First and foremost is the physiological status of the listener's auditory system - mine is pretty much buggered, so 'cheap and nasty' usually suffices for me! In my opinion, the second important factor will be the source material - both the actual physical recording parameters and more objectively the actual content and performance (eg. Compare and contrast an operatic aria with gangsta-rap? The old adage of 'Garbage in - garbage out' probably plays a role also.

I have a 2nd Gen. Sonos Connect which to be honest was a waste of money (compared to the Wiims).

If money is no object, then here's a contender for Sonos fans:

That's way beyond my knowledge grade! Thanks for the help though!

So does anyone actually know for sure if I can use the Wiim Pro to send audio directly to 3 Sonos speakers in the same room - in sync - via Airplay?
AirPlay sync requires AirPlay 2 - are the Sonos compatible?

My understanding is the mics are for scenarios where you've got {n} WiiMs feeding {n} different systems (each with potentially different delays) but want them in sync or L/R.
As difficult as this would be to do manually, can a per streamer delay be configured in LMS?

My understanding is the mics are for scenarios where you've got {n} WiiMs feeding {n} different systems (each with potentially different delays) but want them in sync or L/R.
As difficult as this would be to do manually, can a per streamer delay be configured in LMS?
Yes but I have never had occasion to go near such settings.

Anything that you sync in LMS is proxied by the server and (if necessary) transcoded down to the lowest common bitrate / codec of the various players in the sync group. Each player can however be "adjusted" for audio delay but as I say I have never gone there. Sync is best performed with all, or at least the majority, of the players being wired.

Back