Is Airplay 2 from Wiim to Sonos lossy after 192kHz/32-bit ADC conversion?

spac3manG

Hi,

I have a turntable and preamp that I have connected to a pair of Sonos play five gen 2’s via line in.

I am thinking of getting a Wiim Pro Plus streamer and connecting the turntable preamp to that, and then using the Wiim to Airplay to the Sonos Play Fives.

Benefits :

• I can Bluetooth from the wiim to headphones
  • I can move the turntable anywhere as I don't need the line in
  • I push the turntable ADC to the Wiim, which is (isn't/maybe/maybe not) “better” than the sonos play five gen 2
  • Airplay 2 at 16 44 is equal (or not?) to the line in ADC/DAC on the five

Can anyone point to a reason why this may

1. Improve SQ
  2. Worsen SQ
  3. SQ will be the same - its the Vinyl that's the weak link ;)

Is Airplay 2 from Wiim to Sonos lossy

spac3manG

Wiim ADC info

1. Enhanced ADC for Line Input: Utilizing the TI Burr-Brown Audio PCM1861 ADC, the WiiM Pro Plus achieves a remarkable up to 192kHz/32-bit digital output. Analog sources, from record players to MP3 players, are impeccably converted into digital format, resulting in an unparalleled clarity and a signal-to-noise ratio of 110 dB.

I don’t use the line in on the WiiM for my TT because as far as I can make out it can only really send audio at sensible rates to other WiiMs but I do have a means of sending the audio from my TT around the house at 16/44.1 Ogg FLAC (lossless) using a USB ADC and a Rasperry Pi. There is some latency but it works. The Pi presents as an Internet Radio stream which I use with LMS but could be used with any device that can play an Ogg FLAC radio stream.

Hi,

I have a turntable and preamp that I have connected to a pair of Sonos play five gen 2’s via line in.

I am thinking of getting a Wiim Pro Plus streamer and connecting the turntable preamp to that, and then using the Wiim to Airplay to the Sonos Play Fives.

Benefits :

• I can Bluetooth from the wiim to headphones
  • I can move the turntable anywhere as I don't need the line in
  • I push the turntable ADC to the Wiim, which is (isn't/maybe/maybe not) “better” than the sonos play five gen 2
  • Airplay 2 at 16 44 is equal (or not?) to the line in ADC/DAC on the five

Can anyone point to a reason why this may

1. Improve SQ
  2. Worsen SQ
  3. SQ will be the same - its the Vinyl that's the weak link ;)

Is Airplay 2 from Wiim to Sonos lossy

spac3manG

Wiim ADC info

1. Enhanced ADC for Line Input: Utilizing the TI Burr-Brown Audio PCM1861 ADC, the WiiM Pro Plus achieves a remarkable up to 192kHz/32-bit digital output. Analog sources, from record players to MP3 players, are impeccably converted into digital format, resulting in an unparalleled clarity and a signal-to-noise ratio of 110 dB.
the airplay client in the Wiim to send to other devices will deliver 44.1/16 ALAC it is not using low latency streaming but realtime. Just checked what mine does in this scenario and I can see that the datarate outputting over the network is equivalent to cd quality ALAC. But if your using ADC at higher than this then you are loosing quality as it will be downsampling from the capture source. But I would let it capture as high as you can to move filtering further above the audible range.

ok - so wiim will send airplay 2 at CD quality 44.1/16, which will be downsampled from the ADC capture. this is better news :)

Back