Yamaha to Sonos via WiiM

Steve251

Greetings.
I have only just come across this product and it looks great

I have a Yamaha R-N602 and to that I have a Yamaha Network Streamer, a SACD player and a 1970s Pioneer turntable attached

I would like to stream to my Sonos Arc, Era300 and two Play 3's

I know I can connect the output from one of these to WiiM but I would like to be able to stream all of them and choose which one by the Yamaha's selector switch

So if played a CD that would come out of my Sonos setup or if I chose to pay a vinyl then that would come out as long as I changed the CD to Turntable on the the Yamaha.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

I think there are several ways to to do what you want.

One is to connect one of the RCA outputs of your Yamaha to a Wiim Pro and configure the Wiim Pro input to Line In and the output to Airplay with your Sonos speakers as the targets
I can't test this but in theory it should work.

Another possible non-Wiim solution is the Brennan VB1

Again, connect one of the RCA outputs of your Yamaha to the VB1 and use the VB1 app to manage your Sonos target.
The description talks about connecting a turntable (with pre-amp) directly to a VB1 but there should be no reason why you can't connect your Yamaha

There is of course a Sonos Port but its the most expensive solution of these three

Hey, thanks JFBUK for your help, I had not heard of the VB1 so will take a look at it
I had looked at the Sonos Port but it does not get great write-ups and the WiiM is better and cheaper

I was hoping to utilise both my SACD player attched to my amp and the TT to send to Sonos
I get the impression that I can only do one or the other without unplugging cables and plugging other in

Below is that back of my amp

Blue Circled is where my TT is plugged into but that is TT in
Green is where my network streamer is plugged into but I am happy to lose this
Red is where my CD player is plugged into

I am guessing that if I plug say my TT or CD into the WiiM, Port or VBV1 then take the output back to the AMP that is how it works but then that only allows me one device not two

1707655988204.png

Hi Steve,

there will be no need to plug and unplug anything once you are set up.

1707656832051.png

Your Yamaha will output audio from line 2 out using whichever source you have selected on the front of your Yamaha, using the Yamaha remote , or the Yamaha Musicast app.
Its just like having a tape recorder connected, if you can remember those :) , except you are not recording.
You will have to control which Sonos your Yamaha is playing to using the Wiim app or the VB1 app as appropriate

Ah thank you. And yes I do recall tape recorders. In fact, had a portable one where you would use a pencil to wind the tape or tension it back in the 70s. Then in the late 70s, I moved to a Technic one with my Pioneer kit. I have watched a few videos, and read reviews but the one piece of info I could not find was the bit you just confirmed. That is wonderful news. Now to decide upon which device. The Sonos Port is out, Wiim Pro Plus is favourite but need to look at the VB1. Many thanks

I have a Yamaha N-S303 network streamer but I dont use it much as I find the Yamaha Music cast system poor when it comes to connectivity. So I started simplly streaming from Spotify to local devices but am now beginning to build a Sonos system as I use it for TV and Dolby Atmos as well. I moved away from Spotify as I like Dolby Atmos through Sonos and now want to connect my old Hi Fi to Sonos Speakers

Simply use the "playback" jacks for any of the tape loops on your amp. Depending on the amp, this might require engaging the "tape mon" switch rather than choosing "tape" as an input.

I have my wiim pro on the "tuner" input for my main amp, with aux as cd and phono as phono.

Simply use the "playback" jacks for any of the tape loops on your amp. Depending on the amp, this might require engaging the "tape mon" switch rather than choosing "tape" as an input.

I have my wiim pro on the "tuner" input for my main amp, with aux as cd and phono as phono.
Yeah, mine is all up and running. It is so nice being able to play my vinyl through my wireless speakers as it now allows me to declutter a bit

Back