Casting Turntable

AirPlay sync requires AirPlay 2 - are the Sonos compatible?
Yes Sonos will work with Airplay 2, definitely. The question is can I send in-sync audio from a turntable to a group of Sonos speakers in a room using the Wiim Pro.

I can stream my turntable output to multiple rooms in 16/44.1FLAC and in perfect sync (although there is a second or two lag from needledrop to sound) but I don't use a WiiM for this task.

The path is
Turntable -> Phono-preamp -> Amp (speakers off) -> Tape out -> Behringer UCA202 -> RaspberryPi running Liquidsoap/Icecast2 -> LMS -> as many players in as many rooms as I want.

LMS uses server side sync algorithims. There are no mics involved.
Sort of off-topic, but...

I have LMS on a win10 mini Pc. Installed the obligatory Material skin plugin and the lesser-known CD-player plugin. Plugged in an Asus USB cd-player (25 euro) - voila, cd discs play to any connected squeezebox devices (including a WiiM pro).

But to be honest, it's all a lot easier simply to use Spotify or Tidal!

Yes Sonos will work with Airplay 2, definitely. The question is can I send in-sync audio from a turntable to a group of Sonos speakers in a room using the Wiim Pro.
Can the Sonos speakers be set up as a group within Sonos? I can't recall how to group speakers in Sonos. My Sonos beam shows up in the Wiim app as an airplay output device.

Whay don't you just try it?

Are you planning to cast to more than a pair of Sonos speakers ?

The answer to this post on the Sonos forum implies that synchronisation is not an issue for a stereo pair with Airplay

You might also want to look at one of these

When I understood right he does not have a Pro yet and will find here a confirmation that it will work in his way before buying one.
Okay...
I set up a Group in Sonos (a Beam and a Frame) called Test.
Using Sonos app the group Test played in sync. The sound output across the room was impressive (even with my clapped out hearing)

Using the Wiim app, the group Test doesn't appear, but it is possible to select the 2 speakers individually. They play in sync but the volume levels are different.

I found it fiddly and a bit hit'n'miss to get this far.

So, it sort of works but too much effort for me at my age these days.

Maybe somebody else can give it a try and report back their experience.

Okay...
Using Sonos app the group Test played in sync. The sound output across the room was impressive (even with my clapped out hearing)

Using the Wiim app, the group Test doesn't appear, but it is possible to select the 2 speakers individually. They play in sync but the volume levels are different.

No idea, when we needed "multi room" years ago all was done with Sonos.
Today we have a Sonos Arc in the living room, but for TV only.
In the kitchen is a Sonos Era. Thats it.
My son has a turntable connected to a Port and all is fine. It simply works! Without any Linux, command lines, skins and deeper knowledge why something works. It works, job done.
For dedicated music listening I use other ways. And for sure no Bluetooth. Name it snobbery", I name it reasonable.

Last edited:
Bringing the Sonos Port on the table was only an opinion. Because I know that the needs of the OP will be fulfilled.

Okay...

Thank you very much for that Castalla - appreciate your efforts 👌

Are you planning to cast to more than a pair of Sonos speakers ?

The answer to this post on the Sonos forum implies that synchronisation is not an issue for a stereo pair with Airplay

You might also want to look at one of these

Thank you JFBUK. That Brennan device looks interesting - I'd never heard of it!

Anyone able to answer this for me with regards to Airplay-casting turntable audio, please? I don't think it's been asked before.

Can I Airplay-cast to a group of Sonos speakers in a room - without any lag between speakers etc?

I presume that Wiim Pro can't see an actual Sonos group but can it create a group of it's own? I'm looking to send turntable audio to a Sonos Beam and two Symfonisk speakers in the same room.

Appreciate the help.
Hello,

I have an unusual situation similar to the one above that I’d like to see if you can help resolve. I have a turntable that is completely standalone that I’ve been using an old iPhone to AirPlay to an Apple TV via the AirChord app. Something has changed and I can’t get it to maintain a connection anymore.

Would any of the WiiM products be able to physically connect to my turntable and then simply stream via AirPlay to my Apple TV? My turntable has both phono amp level RCA and USB outputs.

Thanks, Rob

Hello,

I have an unusual situation similar to this that I’d like to see if you can help resolve. I have a turntable that is completely standalone that I’ve been using an old iPhone to AirPlay to an Apple TV via the AirChord app. Something has changed and I can’t get it to maintain a connection anymore.

Would any of the WiiM products be able to physically connect to my turntable and then simply stream via AirPlay to my Apple TV? My turntable has both phono amp level RCA and USB outputs.

Thanks, Rob

Hello,

I have an unusual situation similar to this that I’d like to see if you can help resolve. I have a turntable that is completely standalone that I’ve been using an old iPhone to AirPlay to an Apple TV via the AirChord app. Something has changed and I can’t get it to maintain a connection anymore.

Thanks, Rob
The pro plus has line in. The you can use with a phono stage. I think it can output over AirPlay

Thanks for the quick reply! That's very encouraging as it will likely be higher quality than my current set up and way more stable. Anyone actually do this already or am I a unicorn here?

Thanks for the quick reply! That's very encouraging as it will likely be higher quality than my current set up and way more stable. Anyone actually do this already or am I a unicorn here?
I am sure someone will be doing this and it would be useful to know what arrives at the Apple TV in terms of bit and sample rate. You may not have picked up that AirPlay 2 (which allows sync) is often lower quality than AirPlay 1.

I am sure someone will be doing this and it would be useful to know what arrives at the Apple TV in terms of bit and sample rate. You may not have picked up that AirPlay 2 (which allows sync) is often lower quality than AirPlay 1.
@Rob Wilson i tried your proposed set up with a turntable into the line-in of the Wiim Amp and an Apple 4K 2021 box connected to a Sonos Arc, and, as expected, it works. I would expect it to also work with any Wiim that you can line-in your TT to. I don't what what audio quality was being played - the Sonos app just indicated it was receiving "stereo PCM" from the Apple Tv. The AppleTV has an Airplay on/off switch in the settings, so that obviously has to be "on".

@Rob Wilson i tried your proposed set up with a turntable into the line-in of the Wiim Amp and an Apple 4K 2021 box connected to a Sonos Arc, and, as expected, it works. I would expect it to also work with any Wiim that you can line-in your TT to. I don't what what audio quality was being played - the Sonos app just indicated it was receiving "stereo PCM" from the Apple Tv. The AppleTV has an Airplay on/off switch in the settings, so that obviously has to be "on".
Airplay cast from a WiiM Pro/Plus/Amp is lossless 16/44.1, so while you can set the line in resolution to 24/192, there’d be little point setting it any higher than 16/44.1

Back