New set up for a very small room

George Dance

First off my room is only 24 M2 so I’m working under several limitations. I initially bought a Wiim Pro and teamed it with a Douk Audio ST-01 amp /Dac feeding a pair of vintage Rogers DB101 speakers. The Wiim is hard wired into the wi-fI router and I tried using both the Wiim and Douk dacs, neither of which was giving me much satisfaction. Whither the announcement of the Fosi Audio V3 amp a few weeks ago I took the plunge and ordered a V3 and a SMSL SU-1 dac to feed it. Magic, sounds brilliant. I’m still wrestling with the bit rate set up, I’m using an optical link, only getting 16 bit / 44.1 kHz at the moment, using tidal. Very happy so far.

Last edited:
Have you done the audio output test to check your digital output resolution is set greater than 16/44.1, as well as turning on MQA beta under audio settings and are using Tidal Connect?

Hi, thanks for response, after some further research it would seem as I have Tidal HiFi tier and not HiFi Plus I’m limited to 16 bit / 44.1 kHz.

Your setup reads pretty reasonable. The advantage or non-advantage of higher resolutions than your subscribed CD quality is discussed very contrary. Personally I see this hires stuff overrated, especially with such, with all due respect, entry level components. Have fun with the music and be sure that it sounds already much better than the vast majority of people outside this forum have.
So, if you want to stay with Tidal forget the Plus option, at least till they put this MQA fraud to the bin. Once they offer higher resolution than CD quality without MQA it could be time to think new about this question. My subjective opinion, as always.

Hi, thanks for response, after some further research it would seem as I have Tidal HiFi tier and not HiFi Plus I’m limited to 16 bit / 44.1 kHz.
I "only" have the basic hifi tier too.
Can't say that I feel I'm missing out, even with my basic setup ;)

Back