No Cover via Nas

MartyS

Hello friends,

I am a new Wiim user and I love it. Bought the Mini a couple of days ago and just ordered a Pro.
The only thing I am really missing is Multichannel and Dolby Atmos support.

But now to my problem: I have all my music library stored on a Nas. A hard drive directly connected to my router, which functions as Nas (a Fritz!Box 4060). On the Wiim no album art is shown. On Bubbleupnp and other Nas player the art is displayed correctly. The cover are stored within the Audiofiles and as cover.jpg or folder.jpg in the folders.

I tried everything, but no luck. I need your help. What can I do?

Thank you very much

Are you playing tracks as well as it's making the log really difficult to parse. Ideally you'd open BubbleUPnP, navigate straight to a track listing via as short a route as possible and then close the app down.

I don't think the 'bad XML found: replaced DIDLLite prefix' is necessarily a bad thing as I even see that with MinimServer (although I will chase that up), as it looks like BubbleUPnP attempts to fix it, but the 'WiiM Wohnzimmer: cannot parse DIDLite:' could be a problem, although it's still displaying tracks and metadata so it could be a bit of a red-herring.
At least one of the problems with the xml is the elements:
Code:
<song:rate_hz>44100</song:rate_hz>
<song:format_s>16</song:format_s>
<song:bitrate>668</song:bitrate>
As they don't match the defined schema.

In terms of album artwork I do see some URLs that appear to end prematurely in one section but completed in another e.g.

Code:
http://192.168.*.*:57645/extractart/audio/0F3FCBFB705C624D9EEFAEF21A44B46EB417E48FE1A4D7A7459968DB318A8C0A4222DB22BF4D91F54BE550B53787ACDD501501D9C1A2A5CB80A3FD1EF91CC1279883A1C5702E27BE94D4DBF5FCC356CF44FB16BDE2932035DE4463682410CBD324150B759CE57C87ED3

http://192.168.*.*:57645/extractart/audio/0F3FCBFB705C624D9EEFAEF21A44B46EB417E48FE1A4D7A7459968DB318A8C0A4222DB22BF4D91F54BE550B53787ACDD501501D9C1A2A5CB80A3FD1EF91CC1279883A1C5702E27BE94D4DBF5FCC356CF44FB16BDE2932035DE4463682410CBD324150B759CE57C87ED3A7C394BE55E62.jpg

It's difficult to link them to events, but if you play '1-02 Alvin Wrench.flac' from BubbleUPnP and then open the WiiM Home App do you see the correct artwork displayed?

Do these tracks always display artwork correctly in the WiiM Home app?
Code:
01 - The Mole.mp3
02 - We Need Our Army Back.mp3
03 - Shivering Soldier.mp3
04 - Supermarine.mp3
1-06 A Cat.flac
Any track from the Braveheart album

If these are the ones that display then it's probably a URL length issue.

Thank you Simbun. I actually played all those track.

I played '1-02 Alvin Wrench.flac' from BubbleUPnP but no artwork was available inside WHA while plying on Bubbleupnp.

The Tracks you mentioned don't show any cover at all. Only the first 2 tracks from the Braveheart album show the album art. Strange.

The Tracks you mentioned don't show any cover at all. Only the first 2 tracks from the Braveheart album show the album art. Strange.
That's a shame as we've seen problems with URL parsing a number of times before, although not from within the WHA.

Only the first 2 tracks from the Braveheart album show the album art. Strange.
The first two tracks use 01.png and 02.png, if you use these images for tracks 3, 4 and 5 do they show now (after a re-index)?

The only thing left really is to provide a clean log of just a track listing with an accompanying list of the tracks that do display artwork, otherwise it's over to WiiM.

What a pain.

Okay I will try that. You mean I should only play tracks with covers that are displayed in the WHA and only log those tracks in Bubbleupnp?

I installed Emby on my PC and I can enter the folders via Bubbleupnp (unable to open it in WHA). When I play a track in Bubble the track shows up in WHA and displays the cover!

Okay I will try that. You mean I should only play tracks with covers that are displayed in the WHA and only log those tracks in Bubbleupnp?
No, just open BubbleUPnP, navigate straight to a track listing for an album that contains some tracks that do display their artwork in the WiiM Home app and some that don't via as short a route as possible and then close the app down and save the log, don't play anything. Given all we're interested in is the display of artwork in the track listing (correct me if I'm wrong) we don't need anything else logged.
Then once you have a log just let me know which tracks show the correct artwork.

I installed Emby on my PC and I can enter the folders via Bubbleupnp (unable to open it in WHA). When I play a track in Bubble the track shows up in WHA and displays the cover!
I have a bunch of servers in sandboxes to test with, and Emby does work for me through WHA but JellyFin doesn't, which I'm sure it has before.
We've found some really bizarre bugs in WiiM before, so it's possible we'll never be able to get to the root of it ourselves.

The Fritzbox media server does not support showing metadata for Flac files, amongst a lot of other audio file formats. It has no problems with MP3 files.

See (in German):

I have an almost identical set up with a Fritzbox media server, and have the same problem that no album art is shown for any Flac files. MP3 album art is not a problem.

The Wiim app’s behaviour in this regard is identical to VLC, for example. But an app like Musicstreamer (iOS) seems to be able to access all metadata regardless of file format. Maybe the Wiim app might be able to do the same in the future (I hope!).

The Fritzbox media server does not support showing metadata for Flac files, amongst a lot of other audio file formats. It has no problems with MP3 files.

See (in German):

I have an almost identical set up with a Fritzbox media server, and have the same problem that no album art is shown for any Flac files. MP3 album art is not a problem.

The Wiim app’s behaviour in this regard is identical to VLC, for example. But an app like Musicstreamer (iOS) seems to be able to access all metadata regardless of file format. Maybe the Wiim app might be able to do the same in the future (I hope!).
These are the sort of issues that make you realise just what a pigs ear UPnP/DLNA actually is. Dozens of different implementations to code for. It makes you realise just what a good job the developers of BubbleUPNP have done. No sleight to WiiM but they are never going to achieve the same levels of integration.
I’d investigate alternatives to the FritzBox media server.

See (in German):
I had looked for documentation but I couldn't find any.
Wow, so it's essentially useless as a music server then, unless you're trapped in the 90's ;-)

MusicStreamer has come up before. I think it's just using the Fritzbox as a network share and doing all the indexing itself.

WiiM do have indexing network shares on the roadmap, but it's really not the job for a phone app.

I had looked for documentation but I couldn't find any.
Wow, so it's essentially useless as a music server then, unless you're trapped in the 90's ;-)

MusicStreamer has come up before. I think it's just using the Fritzbox as a network share and doing all the indexing itself.

WiiM do have indexing network shares on the roadmap, but it's really not the job for a phone app.
Musicstreamer has been rock solid for me, and yes, it does its own indexing. Unfortunately it can only connect to Wiim through Airplay which reduces all the bitrates to 256.

And it would be wonderful if the Wiim app could do its own indexing. It would put it on a different level and I for one wouldn’t mind even paying for the upgrade.

Hi Team,

I'd like to inform you that our team is fully aware of the cover issue regarding NAS. We're actively working on resolving this matter, and I'm pleased to share that the next two upcoming App releases are aimed at addressing this issue. Please stay tuned for these updates!

Moreover, our Engineering team doesn't believe we can't exceed BubbleUPNP's capabilities. We're up for the challenge and are determined to provide an improved solution. Our goal is to enhance DLNA/UPNP functionality, and we're optimistic about achieving this milestone within year 2023. Thank you for your continued support!

Hi Team,

I'd like to inform you that our team is fully aware of the cover issue regarding NAS. We're actively working on resolving this matter, and I'm pleased to share that the next two upcoming App releases are aimed at addressing this issue. Please stay tuned for these updates!

Moreover, our Engineering team doesn't believe we can't exceed BubbleUPNP's capabilities. We're up for the challenge and are determined to provide an improved solution. Our goal is to enhance DLNA/UPNP functionality, and we're optimistic about achieving this milestone within year 2023. Thank you for your continued support!
Hi, @WiiM Support.
Thank you for your good work. 😉

>I'm pleased to share that the next two upcoming App releases...

Does that mean there will be two apps separate from the WHA?
(Just an interest-based question)

Hi Team,

In this instance it's not a problem with the WHA but the server, but displaying artwork at other levels (as the ios version does) would be very welcome.

I think from a purely UI perspective it's very achievable as it's a very limited problem to solve, unlike the compatibility with other servers and renderers! You obviously benefit from scale and a pure music focus, so I think it's certainly possible.

I consider the gauntlet thrown ;)

And it would be wonderful if the Wiim app could do its own indexing. It would put it on a different level and I for one wouldn’t mind even paying for the upgrade.
I shouldn't have said indexing, it states 'Support SMB for music sharing' so it's likely to just be browsing network shares but I could be wrong.

Hi Team,

In the words of Neil Patrick Harris, "Challenge Accepted"!
Looking forward to seeing what you can achieve.
Hope I didn't waste A$5 on a bubble licence... ;)

... I have all my music library stored on a Nas. A hard drive directly connected to my router, which functions as Nas (a Fritz!Box 4060). On the Wiim no album art is shown. On Bubbleupnp and other Nas player the art is displayed correctly. The cover are stored within the Audiofiles and as cover.jpg or folder.jpg in the folders.
Hello! I'm new here and I have the same issue, with the Fritz!Box 6890
I'm not sure that this is a behavior of the router, as I also own a couple of Sonos devices and I can see the covers when browsing via Sonos app
Same goes with BluOS app, on NAD amplifier

that's good to hear.

Opening a very old thread here as I have a similar issue. Artwork is not displaying for some folders yet there's no obvious difference between those that do and those that don't show an image. All of my music is on a Netgear ReadyNAS with DLNA enabled for the 'Music' share. When an album is selected, the artwork is shown at the top of the screen and adjacent each track (all flac files). I can see (using Jaikoz) that the art is added to each track and there's also a folder.jpg or cover.jpg in each of the folders containing the tracks. It's just one the app is showing a list of albums that the image is not there.

Opening a very old thread here as I have a similar issue. Artwork is not displaying for some folders yet there's no obvious difference between those that do and those that don't show an image.
Does the album artwork show in other control points e.g. BubbleUPnP or mconnect?

Back