Optical In / Out Query

Witterings

Major Contributor
How will the Optical In / Out work .... My setup would be TV to Optical In and Optical out to Opt In on the amplifier.

If say I'd last cast music to the WiiM from Amazon music, I stop playing that and have the TV plugged into the Optical In and switch it on, will it automatically "throughput" to the Opt Out or will I have to go into the WiiM App and change the Input / Output?

I ask as my amp only has 1 optical in so I'm currently using a 3 in 1 out optical switch with WiiM, Chromecast Audio and TV plugged into it, the Pro will have Chromecast built in so should be able to do away with the switch.

Autosense can be difficult in case of TVs as they usually stay on and just send empty samples over optical.

You can consider this

if autosense is not going to be implemented in Pro and you need autoswitching.

Cheers for that, I have seen those when looking for the switch I actually bought. Part of it is I'd like to be able to reduce components if I can just to tidy the area up even if it means I do have to switch it via the App but it'd be nice if I don't have to.

Cheers for that, I have seen those when looking for the switch I actually bought. Part of it is I'd like to be able to reduce components if I can just to tidy the area up even if it means I do have to switch it via the App but it'd be nice if I don't have to.
You're welcome. I use that switch so just PM me in case of any related questions.

The pro has coax out too - does your amp have coax in? Or is that already being used?
I'm assuming pro will do opt in to coax out.

Or, why not tv direct to amp via optical, amd Pro to amp via coax?

The pro has coax out too - does your amp have coax in? Or is that already being used?
I'm assuming pro will do opt in to coax out.

Or, why not tv direct to amp via optical, amd Pro to amp via coax?

The amp I'm referring to doesn't unfortunately, it's one optical in or rca.

It's the same WiiM App for both Mini and Pro isn't it?
If so, then you would select the input in the App I think. IIRC there is an Input selector - WiFi, AuxIn, BT etc
Can't check at present as I am away from my Mini with no network connection.

Autosense can be difficult in case of TVs as they usually stay on and just send empty samples over optical.

You can consider this

if autosense is not going to be implemented in Pro and you need autoswitching.
Any sense of how good the DAC is for use with TIDAL MQA? Thank you!

Fair warning, I just received my Pro and it does not work with my tv as an optical input. I have a Sony Bravia smart tv and for whatever reason the optical pass through in the Wiim Pro causes a variety of audio problems. I was sending the optical output of the Pro into a Schiit Modius DAC which in turn is going into a Saga+ Pre-amp and a Vidar amp and the TV was in the optical input on the Pro but it was not happy. I had very low audio levels and digital dropout. I then went back to how I had it set up before receiving the Pro with an optical 3 to 1 splitter and all is fine. I hope a future update of the Pro fixes the problem.

Fair warning, I just received my Pro and it does not work with my tv as an optical input. I have a Sony Bravia smart tv and for whatever reason the optical pass through in the Wiim Pro causes a variety of audio problems. I was sending the optical output of the Pro into a Schiit Modius DAC which in turn is going into a Saga+ Pre-amp and a Vidar amp and the TV was in the optical input on the Pro but it was not happy. I had very low audio levels and digital dropout. I then went back to how I had it set up before receiving the Pro with an optical 3 to 1 splitter and all is fine. I hope a future update of the Pro fixes the problem.

Certainly useful info for me, one of the reasons I'd get a Pro is to reduce the number of units I have, same as you I have a 3 way optical splitter with TV, Chromecast Audio and my WiiM mini going into it and was hoping I could get rid of the CCA and the splitter to tidy up the area and reduce the number of cables etc.

Certainly useful info for me, one of the reasons I'd get a Pro is to reduce the number of units I have, same as you I have a 3 way optical splitter with TV, Chromecast Audio and my WiiM mini going into it and was hoping I could get rid of the CCA and the splitter to tidy up the area and reduce the number of cables etc.
same. I thought the Pro would allow me to get rid of my splitter as well. Maybe in the future.

Why not make your signal paths more optimized by sending your TV's audio output directly to the Modius via Toslink, and the Pro's output to the Modius via digital coax? Seems like an unnecessary complication to unnecessarily detour a digital signal through the Pro, especially if it may be getting input from sources other than your TV.

Why not make your signal paths more optimized by sending your TV's audio output directly to the Modius via Toslink, and the Pro's output to the Modius via digital coax? Seems like an unnecessary complication to unnecessarily detour a digital signal through the Pro, especially if it may be getting input from sources other than your TV.
yes that's an option but the Modius doesn't have a remote and so to switch between the TV and the Wiim Pro would require physically selecting an input on the Modius every time. The attraction of the Wiim Pro was to have both the TV and Pro sharing the same input so that no switching needed to be done.

You could check the firmware version / build date - mine still shows 19th dec, so nothing has changed recently (for me, at least).
Maybe something as simple as re-plugging in the cables gave a proper connection?
Maybe you don't really care, as long as it stays working!!

Back