Pre-purchase question: Can you drag the playback head to a desired location?

bobster26

I have a pre-purchase question re: WiiM Home app with WiiM Pro Plus.

As a music teacher, I often want to play back a song from a specific location, not from the beginning.

Is it possible to drag the playback head to a desired location and have it play back from there?

I need this to work with Apple Lossless (ALAC) files streamed via DLNA from a NAS (and maybe from AirPlay 2 also).

In my current setup, this doesn't work with ALAC files, which are the vast majority of my library. I run the Synology DS Audio app on my iPad, streaming from a Synology DS218+ to a Marantz pre-pro via AirPlay. It might work with some AAC or mp3 files, but with ALAC files, dragging the playback head causes the app to jump to the next song in the playlist.

If I get a WiiM Pro Plus, I'm hoping to stream over Ethernet via DLNA instead of via AirPlay (that's possible, isn't it?).

Have you tried this locate feature, and if so, did it work?

I'm looking for answers from people with this exact setup, or very close. Please let me know which device you're using to run the WiiM Home app (PC, iPhone, iPad, etc).

Thanks!

EDIT: I emailed WiiM support. They replied in less than 20 minutes (on a Sunday night!) and said this "seek" feature works with all supported formats, and works with both DLNA and AirPlay.

Still, I'd love to hear reports from customers, just to verify.

Last edited:
You can slide the progress bar, but you’ll have to guess the position, as the time displayed won’t update while you’re sliding, only a fraction of a second after you let go and the music starts at that position.

If you need to start at a precise position, one of the APIs might allow you to do it with code.

You can slide the progress bar, but you’ll have to guess the position, as the time displayed won’t update while you’re sliding, only a fraction of a second after you let go and the music starts at that position.

If you need to start at a precise position, one of the APIs might allow you to do it with code.
Thanks @cc_rider - good to know! I wish it updated as you drag the playhead, but that might not be a dealbreaker. Will ask support if that might be possible in a future update.

(BTW, dragging does work on ALAC files in Synology's DS File app (a file manager - not music-specific) and the time readout updates as you drag.)

All I want is playback of ALAC files that I created by ripping CDs - the equivalent of 16/44.1. I do not need or want any higher resolution.

The article from What HiFi claims that AirPlay 2 converts ALAC Apple Music streams to lossy AAC, but I'm not using the Apple Music streaming service. It does not say that ALAC files are converted.

The other research cited in that post is highly suspect, IMO, but that's beyond the scope of this thread. I'm not here to convince anyone of anything!

All I want is playback of ALAC files that I created by ripping CDs - the equivalent of 16/44.1. I do not need or want any higher resolution.

The article from What HiFi claims that AirPlay 2 converts ALAC Apple Music streams to lossy AAC, but I'm not using the Apple Music streaming service. It does not say that ALAC files are converted.

The other research cited in that post is highly suspect, IMO, but that's beyond the scope of this thread. I'm not here to convince anyone of anything!

I’d say the two sources mentioned in my post are fairly reputable, but I did misread your post and was only thinking of Apple Music. Your playback of ALAC files should be unaffected.

Back