Setting us Wiim on an existing network with a headless server and ripped CD files

That's great (and I figured it wasn't too difficult to do this!).

I'll get a few pieces of Wiim gear and try it out in the house with both server approaches (minimserver and LMS and see what seems to feel best. If that all works, I'll get all the Sonos out of the house, and I won't be too sad to see it go. The products are good, but I don't like what the company did to long-term owners, nor do I feel they are providing the value that they used to in the early days.

As you all know I am a supporter of LMS but I would just like to offer a few words so that things are clear.

1. It won't run directly on a NAS but will run in a Docker if your NAS supports that - https://hub.docker.com/r/lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver
2. Once installed and running your WiiM Pro/Pro+ becomes a native Squeezelite player (LMS used to be called Squeezebox Server) and you control it entirely through the Material gui loaded as a URL on your phone/tablet/PC. It does not use the WiiM Home App at all except for initial set up of the WiiM
3. LMS has numerous plugins - Qobuz, Tidal, Spotify, Radio Paradise, BBC Sounds etc and in most cases the implementation is better than that in the WiiM App - BUT it does not support Amazon Music.
4. A key plugin is Music & Artist information (MAI) which gives you bios, reviews and lyrics. Using this makes it Roon like (but FOC).
5. LMS is NOT UPnP/DLNA - it uses a different protocol.

So. The question is to what extent you intend to use your system. If it is just occasional use then any DLNA server installed on your NAS will give you access to all your local files at full resolution. IMHO LMS provides much more. It's browsing, and queue management is fabulous in comparison to the WiiM app.

No problem on the comments regarding a NAS. It will be useful for others, if not directly for me.

I need to get some of the Wiim gear in my hands and then try a few options; mimimserver and LMS, and see how I feel about the different interfaces.

Thanks for all the discussion and feel free to continue if there is more to discuss. I'll keep monitoring this.

Back