Streaming giant TIDAL cuts 40 jobs, source confirms

I have worked in the music industry for decades. Its a known fact. Not all spotify source files are poor quality and other than for golden eared audiophiles spotify premium 320kbs is indistinguisable from a CD for mere mortals.
Indistinguishable though is different from there being actual lossless CD quality tracks in Spotify Premium.

I did not refer to audible differences, thats up to everyone. What I mentioned is the technical nonsense that they already have "a third" of their content in CD quality. Even "as known facts" and from one "for decades in the industry" it is simply bla bla

I did not refer to audible differences, thats up to everyone. What I mentioned is the technical nonsense that they already have "a third" of their content in CD quality. Even "as known facts" and from one "for decades in the industry" it is simply bla bla
I stream from a NAS. The industry wants you to pay for high quality physical media for now.

I stream from a NAS. The industry wants you to pay for high quality physical media for now.
And I am happy to give this Euros to the industry. I stream from everywhere 😉
edit: Everywhere was wrong. Not from Tidal, for reasons 😂

Last edited:
Getting back to Tidal...if I were a Tidal subscriber, I'd begin using Soundiiz or somesuch to save my playlists, library, loved albums/tracks, etc. on a daily basis.

Getting back to Tidal...if I were a Tidal subscriber, I'd begin using Soundiiz or somesuch to save my playlists, library, loved albums/tracks, etc. on a daily basis.
You are full of baseless conspiracy theories.

You are full of baseless conspiracy theories.
Among other things, I'm basing my thoughts on the items @Brantome quoted at the head of this thread:

The layoffs come as the US company shifts its primary focus away from music
One anonymous source close to TIDAL told RA that this shows the company is making a clear shift from "being music-centric to product-centric–pushing tech initiatives instead of anything related to music, labels, distributors or artists."

Unless Tidal comes out and makes a public statement to the effect that all this talk about deprecating their music streaming business is nothing but caca de vaca, those layoffs are shouting out their apparent intentions to the world. Believe me, Jack Dorsey didn't acquire Tidal because he's a just a nice guy (he's brilliant, but nice guy I'm less sure), or because he relished running an unprofitable and rather uncompetitive music streaming business.

Last edited:
How would you know?

Hi, let‘s not get out of hand with this. Spotify hasn’t yet released their “Supremium“ service with lossless CD tracks and their Spotify Premium service currently only delivers a max of 256kbps AAC (viz. https://support.spotify.com/uk/article/audio-quality).
Ok, I was writing a not very friendly reply on this freaky nonsense, but I keep my fingers calm and laugh in my drink. You're so right 😉

Back