Streaming system for 1.100 €

I get you about burr browns. I like the palpable and natural sound I hear from my attessa burr brown dac which is a pcm 5242 implementation. However I have not heard any dac from topping or smsl.

Made an interesting experience when replacing my older Node 2i with a new Node X a few weeks ago. The internal dac from the Node 2i never satisfied me, but I like the Bluesound app very much. And the idea having to add an external dac for the (of course with a price a bit over budget class) Node didn't pleased me. So I was a kind of sceptic when my dealer offered me the Node X. As far as I know the X has the same dac chip as the 2i had. I do not check this long numbers, I still trust my old ears. But they advertised they improved the circuit around the chip. The dac chips are all really cheap, therefore pricing of a lot of dacs in my eyes is ridicolous if not fraudish 😉
And what shall I say, the X was from the very first moment all in. Better in my ears as the predecessor was. For ~800 € worth a look and a listening. If one does not fear bad kharma from Guru Amir and his disciples 😝
What I do not like is this silverish colour. And the all plastic case, but I think that is due to the wifi options difficult to avoid. Especially for those like me who hates this Mork from Ork antennas.

Last edited:
Made an interesting experience when replacing my older Node 2i with a new Node X a few weeks ago. The internal dac from the Node 2i never satisfied me, but I like the Bluesound app very much. And the idea having to add an external dac for the (of course with a price a bit over budget class) Node didn't pleased me. So I was a kind of sceptic when my dealer offered me the Node X. As far as I know the X has the same dac chip as the 2i had. I do not check this long numbers, I still trust my old ears. But they advertised they improved the circuit around the chip. The dac chips are all really cheap, therefore pricing of a lot of dacs in my eyes is ridicolous if not fraudish 😉
And what shall I say, the X was from the very first moment all in. Better in my ears as the predecessor was. For ~800 € worth a look and a listening. If one does not fear bad kharma from Guru Amir and his disciples 😝
What I do not like is this silverish colour. And the all plastic case, but I think that is due to the wifi options difficult to avoid. Especially for those like me who hates this Mork from Ork antennas.
Archim, it is ESS9038Q2M inside node x!

As I wrote, I did not care about the specific chips and I did not check. Read three reviews about a dedicated chip and you get four results. Compared with the WiiM's the Node 2i performed slightly better. With the X it is remarkable better. But as mentioned often before, the Node X is ~ 500 € over the WiiM, the 2i still ~ 300. So one can expect a better performance. But main thing in my above post was that not only the dac chip cares, the environment is same important.

Perhaps interesting for someone. If not, simply ignore it.
May be over the complete summer we will stay in our second home. Over the last year I looked for an affordable (wife friendly) streaming system for the vacation time. Far away from my everyday stereos and with much smaller invest. A turntable is a must, but that was on stock.

My result. It includes (for streaming only, a turntable with a preamp is also here):

NAD 316bee V2 integrated amp. ~ 420 €

WiiM Pro Streamer ~ 180 €

SMSL C100 DAC ~ 100 €

Q-Acoustics 3020i ~ 360 €

Cables, bits and pieces ~ 40 €

approx. 1.100 € cpl.

As an idea for a decent holiday setup only. Works! And believe me, it is already hifi 😉

View attachment 878View attachment 879
All good except consider Schiit products and especially their DACs.

@adias
This tiny SMSL box was my first contact with these countless, mostly Chinese, brands, not manufacturers.
It was pure curiosity because in my private environment a question for a 1000 € system popped up. I was absolutely surprised by the way this SMSL thing performs in relation to his price. And I am absolutely sure many of these brands will do equal. So a Schiit will likely also perform well.
But in my opinion and I stated that very, very often here during the last few weeks: If one runs such a cheap or budgeted chain it makes no sense to "improve" the dac first. To get a remarkable better result the dac is in my ears the less important part of the system. Using f.e. the internal inside the WiiM is already good enough to bring such a system to its borders. It might be cheaper in first look to add a new dac, but that is, as I wrote before, trying to make a workhorse a triple-crowner by buying a better saddle. If someone tells me he is able to hear a difference between a 1000 € and a 100 € DAC in the chain I mentioned in my first post, I will give him or her hail for his ears. But I will not believe him. So in my world still amp and speakers first.
Back to your post, I am sorry always tending to write a little bit more. To much time to fill for a retired grandpa 😉
I never ever will give a recommendation for things I do not own or have had at least the chance to try and hear. Therefore no Schiit, because I never listened to.

I have compared the $129 Schiit Modi+ to significantly more expensive DACs and the Modi+ sounded like music… and the others analytical, artificial and fatiguing.

As long as it sounded like music everything is fine. I will not deny. But I do not know and therefore no judgement. A discussion of better and worse was not my intention, it only wanted to share my personal experience. So it is up to you to post a similar thread.

Fair enough. My intention was to suggest other avenues, if not for you, for others to consider. Options are good.

Back