Streaming system for less than 500 €

Achim1811

Major Contributor
This morning a neighbor received his small room holiday solution recommended by me.
We sticked it together and then I waited if he will hit me or hug me. But thanks heaven he is absolutely fine with it. And so am I.
Due to space and due to low importance for him only small money was spent and not very high requirements were made.
The setup is only
Nubert NuBoxx A-125 active speakers
Wiim Pro connected via coax to the speakers and by ethernet to the world.
Both bought on A. for less than 480 €. Brilliant for the money.
For a new to purchase system active speakers can be worth a closer look.

Last edited:
Did he had the chance to listen to your main system or some other hi fi system? To me value for money is of utmost importance. However, as I value money, if something is not up to par I prefer to spend nothing at all than simply having something.

Also good for the money could also be not good in general...!

@steadyshot
He normally uses Bluetooth with Spotify. So he is not the target for high sound quality. And is not interested in, he asks me for a little better sounding speakers than his ridiculous Alexas for smallest money. He will do some listening to decide if the WiiM brings a difference to BT only and I am quite shure his answer will be No! The speakers will stay anyway.
It was me who was impressed about value for money.
And be sure, I am deep enough in the theme that I do not need phrases like "...good for money could also be not good in general."
It was only thought as an idea for people who need things like that, ok?

I understand your point and I am not doubting you at all!

However I don't like the phrase good for the money because it could mean so many different things especially in hi fi. It is ambiguous. I prefer classifying something in general.

Could be you reached me on wrong foot, sorry.
Since many years I avoid giving absolute "buy that, not that" to friends or family who I know they are not informed about the possibilities of music reproduction available. I refuse even to answer questions like "What was the price for that?" I know that the vast majority of people would like but can not imagine the priority and the money I spend.
But in a forum like this I am expecting informed adults 😉(muaaaah) so sometimes I give kind of recommendations without being asked. Only for info. And I never ever in my life gave judgements over items I never owned or at least listened to. I fear not very common in nerd forums where to many people knows everything about everything. And write about it. So no one has to have my view to things, I only share.

One change in connection your neighbour should make. The DAC in the WIIM should be used. I have tested well tested and recommended DACs connected with SPDIF and finally the WIIM showed up with the best sound. Just check it out.

@luimu
Thanks for your suggestion. He is fine with his active speakers and I bet he would not hear the slightest difference. And tbh I am not very interested in having more contact than absolutely necessary. He is a neighbor 😉
But again, thank you.

Back