speaker for wiim pro+

fabtou

Good morning
I have just purchased the Wiim Pro+ and am delighted with the sound quality and the very fluid and instinctive application.
I had previously tried Volumio, bluesound and Octavio. And I finally found something that suits me.
The streamer is connected to a Marrantz amp and two wharefedale speakers.
Today I want to clean up my system and find something more minimalist, like active speakers (kef) or the Sonos 5.
Do you know if I can use the wiim pro with this type of speaker?
What can you advise?
Thank you for your answers
Fabrice

Good morning
I have just purchased the Wiim Pro+ and am delighted with the sound quality and the very fluid and instinctive application.
I had previously tried Volumio, bluesound and Octavio. And I finally found something that suits me.
The streamer is connected to a Marrantz amp and two wharefedale speakers.
Today I want to clean up my system and find something more minimalist, like active speakers (kef) or the Sonos 5.
Do you know if I can use the wiim pro with this type of speaker?
What can you advise?
Thank you for your answers
Fabrice
Hi, @fabtou.

Yes, you can use the WiiM pro plus by connecting it to an active speaker. You need a speaker with one of the following: RCA (AUX) in, Optical in, or Coaxial in.

Sonos 5 has AUX in. An RCA to AUX cable is required. Also, I think you can use the WiiM pro plus's AirPlay2 transmit to wirelessly output from Sonos 5.

But if I broadcast in airplay I lose the high res music.
And I want to continue using the wiim pro+ dac

Note that, like the wiims, some active speakers will digitise the analog input.
i.e. if you use the wiim analog out then that may go through another analog to digital and digital to analog conversion.

I am quite fond of Edifier active speakers. I have a WiiM connected to an Edifier D12. It is a stereo speaker in a single cabinet because a desk I do not have the room to have to speakers in an evenly divided stereo setup. The cabinet is made of wood and the sound is good, especially for a speaker that costst around €100,-.
But Edifier has a quite large range of active speakers.

This is the D12 that I have:
1705502502262.png
But I considered this set as well, the R1280T, but it didn't fit on my desk.
1705502719761.png
They all have RCA and AUX in connections and most of them have Bluetooth as well.

See https://www.edifier.com/ for their whole range.

Thank you for answer.
I did not know this brand.
Can I connect my Wiim Pro to an active speaker?
If I buy a sonos for example, what is the point of keeping a separate streamer? The sonos app should be enough, right?

Thank you for answer.
I did not know this brand.
Can I connect my Wiim Pro to an active speaker?
If it has an RCA or AUX input you can.
If I buy a sonos for example, what is the point of keeping a separate streamer? The sonos app should be enough, right?
It might be that the WiiM has a better DAC, but in that case make sure the Sonos speaker does not digitize the input first. Which I actually assume it does because it will probable be able to distribute the input to other Sonos devices on the network.

Back