Is this a good system to start streaming?

sosodrk

Hello everyone. Newbie here, sorry if this is a repost, admins please decide if it is necessary to delete it (hope not). I only found this topic that is somewhat similar - but not identical.

So, I have right now a kind of vintage system with a set of stereo AKAI speakers, the SR-HA5 (i think they are from mid '90's) which have a 3 way system and sound very good in my opinion along with an AKAI AA-5810 amplifier, that has 50 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo). I added an Yamaha CD-player and I have my eyes on the Wiim Pro Plus for a while now. Until now I used the system to listen to cds and also vinyl on my turntable (also Akai, also from the 80's)
😁
I also hooked up a bluetooth music receiver from TP-link (it's called HA100) but as far as I think I understood Bluetooth messes up the quality of the music files available from Tidal, for example.
So I want to be able to stream from Tidal for the best possible sounding available and I understand that Tidal offers Hi-Res files on a vast part of their collection. Will I be able to use the setup like this and listen to Hi-Res audio in a correct and good way? In this way, using the Wiim Pro Plus as a streamer and DAC will I receive a good audio output through my amp to the speakers?
My setup.jpg
Thank you to all the members of the community for your attention on this matter and once again sorry for the topic being a newbie.

No issues being a newbie and asking questions, we all were once ;)

Your setup looks fine tbh, and I expect you’ll find the Pro Plus (using its RCA outputs I’d guess) is able to breathe new life into your system. Enjoy the music :)

you could also use the bluetooth input on your WiiM instead of the TP-link one... in case you want to stream via bluetooth - e.g. when friends are visiting your place.

the other thing you could do is hook your TV up via optical to the WiiM and that way you could switch between the SONOS soundbar and the AKAI speakers... probably much better SQ 🤔

you could also use the bluetooth input on your WiiM instead of the TP-link one... in case you want to stream via bluetooth - e.g. when friends are visiting your place.

the other thing you could do is hook your TV up via optical to the WiiM and that way you could switch between the SONOS soundbar and the AKAI speakers... probably much better SQ 🤔
This just occured to me, that the Sonos just became useless... I'll give this a go (TV>Wiim>speakers) and see how it ends up. Thanks for this tip!

This just occured to me, that the Sonos just became useless... I'll give this a go (TV>Wiim>speakers) and see how it ends up. Thanks for this tip!
That makes sense. The Sonos seemed stranded in your diagram and a set of bookshelf or floorstanders will be better sounding. As well, if you put the HDMI from the TV into your amp (if the amp supports it which it probably does),

Suggestion to go one bit further would be to add an Amazon Firestick/Firecube with Alexa support to automate the turn on/turn off of the TV/stereo by voice -- makes it easy for kids and spouses to use.

That makes sense. The Sonos seemed stranded in your diagram and a set of bookshelf or floorstanders will be better sounding. As well, if you put the HDMI from the TV into your amp (if the amp supports it which it probably does),

Suggestion to go one bit further would be to add an Amazon Firestick/Firecube with Alexa support to automate the turn on/turn off of the TV/stereo by voice -- makes it easy for kids and spouses to use.
Thanks for the suggestion. Being a 50 year old amp you can imagine that HDMI wasn't invented yet, so the amp doesn't have this port. I'll try hooking up the Wiim PP by optical cable to the TV and by RCA audio cable to the amp.

Thanks for the suggestion. Being a 50 year old amp you can imagine that HDMI wasn't invented yet, so the amp doesn't have this port. I'll try hooking up the Wiim PP by optical cable to the TV and by RCA audio cable to the amp.
Sorry...missed that detail in your writeup and was focused on the diagram. Yes, of course, the wiring that you're suggesting should work for this case.

One more thing, can I run the Cd player through the Wiim on the input and play it like this?

RCA Line out and optical.
Cool if you are happy using the DAC in the CD player, then use RCA out into the WiiM.

If I were you then that's probably what I would do - and use the optical in on the WiiM to connect your tv (the rca out from the TV is bound to be horrible). This way all your devices are able to be managed from WiiM home app and play through your speakers

Bought the thing since yesterday and it’s sitting on the shelf along with the other toys.
I’m really happy with the choice I made. Still wondering if the price difference would have paid off for the Wiim Amp but I’m not ready to part with my vintage amp. View attachment 5992

Heartwarming variety of features with solid knobs and switches on your AKAI amp! All you need on board.

Bought the thing since yesterday and it’s sitting on the shelf along with the other toys.
I’m really happy with the choice I made. Still wondering if the price difference would have paid off for the Wiim Amp but I’m not ready to part with my vintage amp. View attachment 5992
That amp is beautiful!!

That amp is beautiful!!
Thanks! I love it as well. And adding the Wiim PP to the system has elevated it to near perfection. The speakers seem to be just as perfect for this, too. They are 3way speakers.

I ended up keeping the Sonos linked to my Tv and having the CD player in the WPP on optical. So practically I use the Wiim’s DAC for CDs. And they sound amazing.

I wanted to buy a new cd player but I don’t think it matters in this case, right?
I also think about going for a Mini for my kids room.

Back