Connecting to 'Old' HiFi System

stuarþgb10

Hi, new to the forum and also to streaming..
I'm looking to buy a Wiim Pro to connect to my old hifi system.
Can I do that, and if so, how please ?
Thanks.

If your older receiver has a coax/optical input, I would use those outputs on the Wiim to the receivers' input. The receivers DAC will do the conversion.

If not, just use the analog output on the Wiim to an analog "IN" on your receiver. The Wiim DAC will do the conversion.

What model receiver or amp/preamp do you have? That will help us give you the best option.

Since you also said you are new to streaming, have you chosen a hi-res service like Qobuz, Tidal, Amazon? Or will you use Spotify, YT Music, etc? If audio quality is important and your equipment is decent enough, hi-res or at least 16/44.1 CD-quality would be my recommendation.

The Wiim Pro has both Ethernet and WiFi options. I use wifi 5Ghz only and I have excellent signal and a 300Mb up/down. In the 9 months that I've owned the Pro, I have never lost connection nor have I had any pauses or buffering. Wifi, for me, has been flawless from Day 1.

I repurposed an older tablet with a 256GB MICRO SD card with WAV and FLAC files and the Pro sees that card and plays all of the files that are on it.

The Pro really is a great product with many capabilities. For me, it does everything that I expected from it and the Home app on my Pixel 8 Pro controls all of my settings and playback controls.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the reply.
The amp that I'm hoping to use is a Sansui AU-5900 !
It will be out in the workshop, so quality is not a problem since I'm looking for 'background' sound.
I cannot get wi-fi in the workshop, so I've hard-wired a spare router in the workshop back to the house.
I hope to control the Wiim over the network with the Wiim Home app using a smartphone.
Music will come from a Synology Nas which is already on the same network.
Does all that seem feasible please ?
Thanks.

Seems fine as you described it. As you already know, use the Ethernet port on the Wiim and one of your Aux analog inputs on the Sansui integrated amp.

I bet you're gonna spend more time in your shop, now, if you go this route. Which is always a good thing.

Just re-read your post.(I should be sleeping now 🤣) If you hardwired your shop router then you should have no issues getting wifi there. So you can also stream from your smartphone, tablet, etc. Plus your networked server.

I use all sorts of vintage amps, and have no issues with the WiiM pro on any of them. It may appear MUCH louder than other inputs depending on what other gear you have paired with it, if this happens, lower the vrms of the WiiMs output.

I just connect the RCA out of the WiiM to any of the (non phono) inputs on the amp.

Thanks both for the replies.

I bet you're gonna spend more time in your shop, now, if you go this route. Which is always a good thing.
Yes, and that's likely to get me into more trouble !

So you can also stream from your smartphone, tablet, etc. Plus your networked server.
Yes, that was the idea.

When it's up and running, I'll build a cabinet to protect all from dust, but allow for some heat dissipation.

The bit I didn't know was what is needed between the old set of speakers and the Wiim.
Think I'll buy the Pro, then see how it all goes.
If I'm happy (I'm sure I will be) then I'll move that into the house and connect it to my Current hi-fi system.
Then buy a basic Wiim for the workshop.
Thanks again for the help.
Cheers.

move that into the house and connect it to my Current hi-fi system
Which is...?

I'm only asking as you might want to consider the pro plus over the pro, depending on what you have / how you might use it.
e.g. the pro plus has both a better analog input (well, the ADC done on the input) and a better dac / analog output stage.
General concensus is that if you will only use the digital outs then there's no real benefit in getting a plus over the basic pro.
Just food for thought.

I cannot get wi-fi in the workshop, so I've hard-wired a spare router in the workshop back to the house.
I just wanted to double check this...

So by doing that you now have wifi in the workshop?
If not, how will you use your phone to control the music?

Which is...?

I'm only asking as you might want to consider the pro plus over the pro, depending on what you have / how you might use it.
e.g. the pro plus has both a better analog input (well, the ADC done on the input) and a better dac / analog output stage.
General concensus is that if you will only use the digital outs then there's no real benefit in getting a plus over the basic pro.
Just food for thought.
I approve of this, the Pro Plus has a very strong DAC and RCA output stage.

just wanted to double check this...

Perhaps I didn't explain clearly ........
Worshop router is hard-wired to home network router in the house.
Nas is hard-wired to home network router.

My current home system is a little old, but does for me .............
Amp: Arcam A8
Preap: Arcam P8

So, will it be reusing the Pro, or buying a Pro + ?
Cheers.

just wanted to double check this...

Perhaps I didn't explain clearly ........
Worshop router is hard-wired to home network router in the house.
Nas is hard-wired to home network router.

My current home system is a little old, but does for me .............
Amp: Arcam A8
Preap: Arcam P8

So, will it be reusing the Pro, or buying a Pro + ?
Cheers.
Sorry, still not clear!
Is the workshop router broadcasting a wifi signal?
If not, presumably your phone won't be connected to wifi when in the workshop, so you won't be able to control the workshop pro when in the workshop.

Those arcams only have analog inputs, right?
Pro or plus is still up to you.
Many seem happy with the pro's analog output. Many seem happy (maybe happier?) with the plus's output.
Personally, I don't much care for the pro's analog out, but I've not heard a plus to compare.

To make it clear for me. Really an Arcam A8 which I never heard about? Or an Arcam ALPHA 8? What does "Preap" mean? The P8 is a power amplifier.
In both cases my suggestion is the Pro Plus. You have no DAC in your amp.

Ok, thanks again.
To clarify:
I have wi-fi in the workshop via the router.
I can connect to the home network on the phone using Connections > Wi-Fi

Apologies ! My bad on the Arcam.
Preap should read 'Preamp'
The amp is an A85.
The pre-amp is a P85.
This is a link to Arcam's specification sheet:

If these units have no digital inputs, then I'll have to go for the Pro +.

Given that I have wi-fi in the workshop, it looks as though the wiim mini will suffice,
but no need for that if I have to get a Pro + for the house.

Regards and thanks.
Cheers.

Back