Audiolab 6000a or other + wiim

EddieMurphy

Hello guys,

I have speakers Dali Opticon 2 mkII + active Dali subwoofer lektor.

I am looking for some amp + wiim.

1) which dac will be used if i send high res files to stream on wiim? Wiim dac or amp dac? Is it good idea?
2) can i control subwoofer on 2 sources ( Optical TV + wiim streaming) by using Wiim Amp? I know that it is possible, but what if amp also can control sub settings? How it will work?
3) how to connect wiim amp and TV?
4) is there a sound latency when connecting wiim pro to tv?
I am looking for amp. Currently looking for Audiolab 6000a, but maybe you can suggest good one?

Last edited:
Hello guys,

I have speakers Dali Opticon 2 mkII + active Dali subwoofer lektor.

I am looking for some amp + wiim.

1) which dac will be used if i send high res files to stream on wiim? Wiim dac or amp dac? Is it good idea?
2) can i control subwoofer on 2 sources ( Optical TV + wiim streaming) by using Wiim Amp? I know that it is possible, but what if amp also can control sub settings? How it will work?
3) how to connect wiim amp and TV?

I am looking for amp. Currently looking for Audiolab 6000a, but maybe you can suggest good one?
Hi,

I'm currently running a WiiM Pro Plus into an Audiolab 7000A which is a great combo. I don't have a sub but the upcoming WiiM Ultra will have a sub out so there's no reason why you couldn't run a sub from the Ultra and your Opticons from a 6000A. The Ultra also has HDMI Arc so your TV can connect to the Ultra too. I'm not sure if the WiiM Amp has sub out or HDMI Arc, I'm sure someone else on here can answer that. If you go the WiiM Amp route there's no need for the 6000A. Hope that helps?

Hi,

I'm currently running a WiiM Pro Plus into an Audiolab 7000A which is a great combo. I don't have a sub but the upcoming WiiM Ultra will have a sub out so there's no reason why you couldn't run a sub from the Ultra and your Opticons from a 6000A. The Ultra also has HDMI Arc so your TV can connect to the Ultra too. I'm not sure if the WiiM Amp has sub out or HDMI Arc, I'm sure someone else on here can answer that. If you go the WiiM Amp route there's no need for the 6000A. Hope that helps?
I have wiim amp now, it is very good, but i think my speakers need some better amp to make them sounds really nice.
Wiim amp has sub out and now I see wiim pro does not. So that’s means I need to control it on Audiolab.

I have wiim amp now, it is very good, but i think my speakers need some better amp to make them sounds really nice.
Wiim amp has sub out and now I see wiim pro does not. So that’s means I need to control it on Audiolab.
Ah OK, you're quite right, neither the Pro or Pro Plus have sub out so you'd have to wait for the Ultra which is imminent.

Ah OK, you're quite right, neither the Pro or Pro Plus have sub out so you'd have to wait for the Ultra which is imminent.
Yes. I can wait. But what if just connect subwoofer to Audiolab and then just setup it settings on the back of subwoofer. That also can work I guess.

Yes. I can wait. But what if just connect subwoofer to Audiolab and then just setup it settings on the back of subwoofer. That also can work I guess.
There's no LFE sub out on the Audiolab, but, from what I've read, you can connect a sub to the Pre-out(?). The problem then is there's no bass management/filtering built in to the Amp. The Ultra on the other hand will have this (I think).

There's no LFE sub out on the Audiolab, but, from what I've read, you can connect a sub to the Pre-out(?). The problem then is there's no bass management/filtering built in to the Amp. The Ultra on the other hand will have this (I think).
Indeed… I can connect to preout, but maybe you guys know will it sound well and this type of connection is ok? 😀 it is magic for me.
I can control sub settings on subwoofer and will do it once, so I think there is no issue.

Indeed… I can connect to preout, but maybe you guys know will it sound well and this type of connection is ok? 😀 it is magic for me.
I can control sub settings on subwoofer and will do it once, so I think there is no issue.
Maybe someone else can answer this with more experience than me? I hope you get a good solution.

Your Dali Opticon 2 mkII won't be high pass filtered then. That's not good.
Ohh this is not good news. Could you please describe more what does it mean? I am newbie.
The same happens if i plug it via LFE input in sub and amp?

Ohh this is not good news. Could you please describe more what does it mean? I am newbie.
Rather than not good, maybe not ideal.
If you have a subwoofer then ideally you might want the very low frequency sounds to go to that only instead of also going to your main speakers.
i.e. let the sub do the low stuff and take that deep bass load off the mains by 'high pass filtering' (only allowing notes higher than a certain frequency to pass) what gets sent to the main speakers.

Rather than not good, maybe not ideal.
If you have a subwoofer then ideally you might want the very low frequency sounds to go to that only instead of also going to your main speakers.
i.e. let the sub do the low stuff and take that deep bass load off the mains by 'high pass filtering' (only allowing notes higher than a certain frequency to pass) what gets sent to the main speakers.

Which amp are you talking about? :)

The sub's LFE input has nothing to do with high pass filtering of the main speakers. The LFE input just bypasses the subwoofer's internal low pass filter. That's exactly what you want when you connect a subwoofer to an amplifier with proper bass management like the WiiM Amp or an AVR. In this case, the Amp/AVRvwill so the low pass filtering.

The WiiM Amp would also do the matching high pass filtering for your Dalis. In fact it should do it right now, if you have enabled the subwoofer setting in your WiiM Amp right now. If you still feel that the Wiim Amp is lacking power with your active subwoofer and the crossover set to something between 80 Hz and 100 Hz, then adding the Audio lab but keeping the WiiM Amp makes no sense.

Going with the WiiM Pro or Pro Plus doesn't make sense for me either, because integration of mains and sub will suffer. The upcoming WiiM Ultra will obviously provide proper sub integration, but there is really not much point in combining it with a pricey integrated amplifier like the Audiolab 6000A. You would just need a power amp then to drive your Dalis.

Which amp are you talking about? :)

The sub's LFE input has nothing to do with high pass filtering of the main speakers. The LFE input just bypasses the subwoofer's internal low pass filter. That's exactly what you want when you connect a subwoofer to an amplifier with proper bass management like the WiiM Amp or an AVR. In this case, the Amp/AVRvwill so the low pass filtering.

The WiiM Amp would also do the matching high pass filtering for your Dalis. In fact it should do it right now, if you have enabled the subwoofer setting in your WiiM Amp right now. If you still feel that the Wiim Amp is lacking power with your active subwoofer and the crossover set to something between 80 Hz and 100 Hz, then adding the Audio lab but keeping the WiiM Amp makes no sense.

Going with the WiiM Pro or Pro Plus doesn't make sense for me either, because integration of mains and sub will suffer. The upcoming WiiM Ultra will obviously provide proper sub integration, but there is really not much point in combining it with a pricey integrated amplifier like the Audiolab 6000A. You would just need a power amp then to drive your Dalis.
hi!

I currently have wiim AMP with sub settings to 40HZ. Works really good.

Oh so looks like there no point to buy better amp + wiim pro/ultra in my case(with sub)?

Maybe i should look for one which have already good streaming optionts and sub out LFE?

Dali Opticon 2 Mk2 are probably nice speakers (personally, I have only listened to the Opticon 1 Mk2). And yes, maybe they could benefit from a better amplifier than the WiiM Amp. But before you even start thinking about that, a crossover frequency of 40 Hz is definitely too low!

The good thing about the WiiM Amp is that it can offload all the heavy bass duties to the subwoofer. Your Opticon 2 Mk2 will sound better if they no longer need to work below 80 or 100 Hz. The WiiM Amp also benefits from setting a higher crossover frequency, because it no longer has to provide the power for deep bass. The subwoofer will take care of that. There is one YouTube reviewer stating that this is not true, but trust me, he's plain wrong.

Most stereo amplifiers cannot split up the work between main speakers and subwoofers. There is no other one I am aware of in the price range of the WiiM Amp. Most just provide a mono pre-out (leaving the filtering to the subwoofer) or just feed a monophonic bass signal to the sub. In all these cases the main speakers (and the Option 2 are still small speakers) have to reproduce low bass that is better left to the subwoofer. The more the cones move, the more distortion is created. The more power goes through the passive crossover (in particular if iron core inductors are used), the more distortion is created. Relieving standmount speakers from their bass duties is a great way to improve their sound.

Integrating a sub and mains speakers without a high pass filter for the mains is often possible. But it's much harder to do and you would not make the most from your Opticons.

Dali Opticon 2 Mk2 are probably nice speakers (personally, I have only listened to the Opticon 1 Mk2). And yes, maybe they could benefit from a better amplifier than the WiiM Amp. But before you even start thinking about that, a crossover frequency of 40 Hz is definitely too low!

The good thing about the WiiM Amp is that it can offload all the heavy bass duties to the subwoofer. Your Opticon 2 Mk2 will sound better if they no longer need to work below 80 or 100 Hz. The WiiM Amp also benefits from setting a higher crossover frequency, because it no longer has to provide the power for deep bass. The subwoofer will take care of that. There is one YouTube reviewer stating that this is not true, but trust me, he's plain wrong.

Most stereo amplifiers cannot split up the work between main speakers and subwoofers. There is no other one I am aware of in the price range of the WiiM Amp. Most just provide a mono pre-out (leaving the filtering to the subwoofer) or just feed a monophonic bass signal to the sub. In all these cases the main speakers (and the Option 2 are still small speakers) have to reproduce low bass that is better left to the subwoofer. The more the cones move, the more distortion is created. The more power goes through the passive crossover (in particular if iron core inductors are used), the more distortion is created. Relieving standmount speakers from their bass duties is a great way to improve their sound.

Integrating a sub and mains speakers without a high pass filter for the mains is often possible. But it's much harder to do and you would not make the most from your Opticons.
Thank you for such detailed answer, it is more clear for me now.

Please see below what I did. I think I understand you correctly. Now it sounds different. I need some more time to know how is better :)

Previously I had set sub to 40hz. So It was playing only super low bass and speakers were without any EQ. - this is not good solution? I kinda liked the sound.

Attachments

• AEA3CC5E-4DB6-4AA3-BFD7-E1C200F52F2D.jpeg
    AEA3CC5E-4DB6-4AA3-BFD7-E1C200F52F2D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 45B36174-45F4-47E0-9AAD-C65FB04E4201.jpeg
    45B36174-45F4-47E0-9AAD-C65FB04E4201.jpeg
    522.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Thank you for such detailed answer, it is more clear for me now.

Please see below what I did. I think I understand you correctly. Now it sounds different. I need some more time to know how is better :)

Previously I had set sub to 40hz. So It was playing only super low bass and speakers were without any EQ. - this is not good solution? I kinda liked the sound.
You don't need to modify any EQ settings and you should not! :)

The slider is not just for the sub. It's one slider, but if you move it to say 80 Hz it will direct anything below 80 Hz to the sub and anything above 80 Hz to the speakers.

You just have to adjust a matching level and check which phase setting works better. Stay away from EQ (for now).

I had my subwoofwr connected to the pre outs of my 6000A, it worked fine, just set your crossover on your subwoofer:)

You don't need to modify any EQ settings and you should not! :)

The slider is not just for the sub. It's one slider, but if you move it to say 80 Hz it will direct anything below 80 Hz to the sub and anything above 80 Hz to the speakers.

You just have to adjust a matching level and check which phase setting works better. Stay away from EQ (for now).
Yes. When i start playing with EQ, they start Sound like small jbl wireless speaker 🤣 oh i see how it works

Speakers can play from 49hz. Is it good idea to set sub to play all below 49hz, so the speakers will play from it natural 49 hz? 😀
Or I need to configure sub to play under 80hz so I will make speaker live easier and they will sound better?

Last edited:
I had my subwoofwr connected to the pre outs of my 6000A, it worked fine, just set your crossover on your subwoofer:)
Thanks for the info man!
So does it mean if I will set sub to play all above 49hz, speakers will play from 49hz and this will sound good and this type of connection is fine or the same as lfe? 😀

Back