Basic question from a beginner

That you Pete! 😉
Yes I posted it in both places. I didn’t know both were linked. Only just joined both. Thanks
No problem. The WiiM fan page and this forum are both run by WiiM but I think you’re more likely to get answers here from the hard core users ;)

No problem. The WiiM fan page and this forum are both run by WiiM but I think you’re more likely to get answers here from the hard core users ;)
Thanks again. Already appreciating the help and advice

I have the Pro Plus on an Audiolab 6000a, paired with B&W 685 S2's and a Klipsch 120SW sub, connected with and optical (Toslink). Using Amazon HD music
Experimented with both DACs and for my ears I prefer the sound of the Audiolab DAC, both DACs are amazing and the detail you get from playing through the Wiim instead of going through Bluetooth through the Audiolab is night and day.
Can't help with the Airplay question, there was some sound quality issues when using Airplay and wiim from what I understand. It was mentioned on Cheapaudio Man.

The Wiim pro plus was one of my best audio buys I'll get a mini to tie it to another system I have.
If you don't be have a sub for your 6000a I would highly recommend it, changes the game.

Going back to base
1. If you connect via Co-ax then you will be using Audiolab. Try both and stick with what sounds best.
2. WiiM supports Airplay 2 but as others have said it’s a bit MQA
3. Yes it supports gapless.

Now my 2p. The devices are very good. The app is awful in some areas.

I have the Pro Plus on an Audiolab 6000a, paired with B&W 685 S2's and a Klipsch 120SW sub, connected with and optical (Toslink). Using Amazon HD music
Experimented with both DACs and for my ears I prefer the sound of the Audiolab DAC, both DACs are amazing and the detail you get from playing through the Wiim instead of going through Bluetooth through the Audiolab is night and day.
Can't help with the Airplay question, there was some sound quality issues when using Airplay and wiim from what I understand. It was mentioned on Cheapaudio Man.

The Wiim pro plus was one of my best audio buys I'll get a mini to tie it to another system I have.
If you don't be have a sub for your 6000a I would highly recommend it, changes the game.
Thanks. I compared the sound using both DACs and I definitely prefer the one in the Audiolab. Been using it this way for some weeks now, and enjoying every minute.
I’m using Qobuz now inside the WiiM app. So no worries about Airplay reducing the resolution.
I don’t have a sub. Just Dali Oberon 5’s. Which sub did you go with please? And how much difference does using it make? Thanks

Going back to base
1. If you connect via Co-ax then you will be using Audiolab. Try both and stick with what sounds best.
2. WiiM supports Airplay 2 but as others have said it’s a bit MQA
3. Yes it supports gapless.

Now my 2p. The devices are very good. The app is awful in some areas.
Yes I compared both and preferred the Audiolab. Thanks. No issues with the app as yet. Everything very stable and straight forward
Thanks

I have a similar scenario and a pre-sale check. BOTH my digital and my analog input devices are superb. The digital input would be an top-line (still!) Oppo 205, and the line input would be a ridiculously good Audio Research MP1 multi-channel preamp. I'm guessing the optical into the Oppo (using its awesome Sabre 9038Pro DACs) will be superior to the RCA into the AR (using WIIM DAC)...but as people have stated I will get at least a "Pro" so I can try both and see which I prefer. Thanks for all the "smart people" insight here :)

Last edited:
I have a similar scenario and a pre-sale check. BOTH my digital and my analog input devices are superb. The digital input would be an top-line (still!) Oppo 205, and the line input would be a ridiculously good Audio Research MET1 multi-channel preamp. I'm guessing the optical into the Oppo (using its awesome Sabre 9038Pro DACs) will be superior to the RCA into the AR (using WIIM DAC)...but as people have stated I will get at least a "Pro" so I can try both and see which I prefer. Thanks for all the "smart people" insight here :)
In my opinion, if you have any intention to use the wiim dac at all then get the pro plus.
For complete transparancy, I've not heard a pro plus to compare its analog out to the pro's, but, again, my opinion / experience, the pro's analog stage is significantly poorer than any other dac I've tried.
But as a digital streamer it's great!

Yes I compared both and preferred the Audiolab. Thanks. No issues with the app as yet. Everything very stable and straight forward
Thanks
On the app being awful in some areas. You haven’t tried playing from a local upnp server then!

On the app being awful in some areas. You haven’t tried playing from a local upnp server then!
No. I have very little stored music, and what I do have is on an Android phone and it plays perfectly via the WiiM app.
So obviously it’s not straight forward streaming from servers then! 😉

With the WiiM Amp right around the corner with onboard indexing they'd be mad not to have made progress on this front!

Must admit I have had very little issues in the past using something like Minimserver with even Linn’s own Kazoo/Linn app (and latterly the Wiim app) to play my NAS library, but then again I’m not encumbered with many gapless or multi disc set albums, and any issues I might have encountered haven’t really irked me. I do tend to use LMS these days admittedly for its music&artist info and other plugins like Radio Paradise and BBC Sounds.

Thanks for letting me join. I have a couple of very basic questions if possible. Please bear with me as I’m new to this.
1. If I connect a Wiim Pro to a coax port on my Audiolab 6000a amp, which DAC will I actually be using, the Wiim or the Audiolab? Not sure which is the better one.
2. Can I just confirm that the Wiim supports Apple Music Lossless/Airplay 2 please?
3. Also confirm that gapless playback is supported by the Wiim please?
Thanks advance for your help
Can answer your second question. Apple Music stabbed through air play well be limited to cd quality. I have Apple Music. But when I got the pro plus I subscribed to Qobuz and play through the pro plus for full high res.

Can answer your second question. Apple Music stabbed through air play well be limited to cd quality. I have Apple Music. But when I got the pro plus I subscribed to Qobuz and play through the pro plus for full high res.
Apple Music over AirPlay 2 from iOS is more likely limited to AAC, not even CD quality. See my earlier reply

I tried it and although my amp tells me I received 16/44.1 from Apple, it doesn’t sound like it to me. It’s poor.
I’ve switched to Qobuz and am getting up to 24/192.

Back