Using the Wiim remote to control volume

gazza1101

Major Contributor
I currently control the volume from the Wiim Pro with my amplifier (Audiolab 6000A)
So I set the output from the wiim to non variable and output the sound via optical to the DAC in my amp.
If I set the Wiim to variable and control the volume using the Wiim remote rather than my amplifier remote will it affect the output quality?

If you use Wiims onboard gEQ you should avoid 100% volume since it reduces quality as far as I remember.

If you‘re not using the gEQ it should be fine.

They will add new EQ features soon (parametric EQ) and maybe this issue will be resolves then.

@gazza1101
My recommendation is always leaving the volume to the last stage of the chain.
All what I read and heard about the 6000A is brilliant for his price range, especially the pre-section is well-regarded.
So why, the remote from the Audiolab is not so ugly 😉

@gazza1101
My recommendation is always leaving the volume to the last stage of the chain.
All what I read and heard about the 6000A is brilliant for his price range, especially the pre-section is well-regarded.
So why, the remote from the Audiolab is not so ugly 😉
It's complicated:) I have a Minidsp Dirac 2.0 or stereo box between the Wiim and the Audiolab, on the preout of the Audiolab I have a subwoofer connected, so any room compensation that the Dirac box makes affects the subwoofer.
I like to run the Dirac without the subwoofer connected to get the most from my speakers, but am aware that this will affect the subwoofer.
It sounds great but can't help thinking that I am leaving something on the table :)

Understand, but for such a situation my knowledge is to small. No, is zero 😉. You will find competent people here.
Old fashioned as I am I avoid every software based "bowing" of a signal. I like tone controls in my amps, but no EQ or DSP.

Understand, but for such a situation my knowledge is to small. No, is zero 😉. You will find competent people here.
Old fashioned as I am I avoid every software based "bowing" of a signal. I like tone controls in my amps, but no EQ or DSP.
Yes, I get it, keep it simple is probably always best, but my room even with small speakers I just got a lot of bass boom at certain frequencies:(

They will add new EQ features soon (parametric EQ) and maybe this issue will be resolves then.
No it will not. Any EQ alters the bitstream and ultimately the signal frequency response and signal amplitude plays a role. Clipping can occur with parametric or non-parametric EQ.

I currently control the volume from the Wiim Pro with my amplifier (Audiolab 6000A)
So I set the output from the wiim to non variable and output the sound via optical to the DAC in my amp.
If I set the Wiim to variable and control the volume using the Wiim remote rather than my amplifier remote will it affect the output quality?
No.

Back