Subwoofer Amp Recommendation

The Fosi Audio ZA3 has a 12v trigger input, and I think it has plenty of power. But exceed your budget.

Aiyima A07 MAX, Fosi Audio V3 and so on a budget.

If you're looking for a cheap active sub, there's Edifier T5. https://www.edifier.com/global/p/subwoofers/t5

Can't say it has all the features you need but it's good for the price.
That's a powered subwoofer. @smirny is looking for an amplifier for his passive subwoofer. That's two different things, especially since his setup is for outdoor use.

Unfortunately, pretty much all cheap mono amplifiers come with sub filtering, which is not needed and can only do harm when used with the WiiM Amp's own bass management.

Stretching the budget just a bit for the Fosi ZA3 (in mono mode) seems like the best bet for me.

This has been working great for me for a couple of years now.
I use it on a Paradigm powered sub that the amp smoked, and it has plenty of power. Not sure of the model, but it has one active speaker and two passives in the sub box. 8" I believe.
Amp sets on top of the sub with outputs wired directly to the active speaker.
Edit to add this sub amp is not connected to my WiiM Amp but another sound system. Shouldn't make any difference though, it just takes a line level input from source.

Last edited:
This has been working great for me for a couple of years now.
I use it on a Paradigm powered sub that the amp smoked, and it has plenty of power. Not sure of the model, but it has one active speaker and two passives in the sub box. 8" I believe.
Amp sets on top of the sub with outputs wired directly to the active speaker.
Not a big thing, but I would like to see which direction a link goes. ;-)

Not a big thing, but I would like to see which direction a link goes. ;-)
You can. Hover the mouse cursor and watch the status bar, if your on a computer. Tap and hold the link until the target URL pops up, if you're on a mobile device.

Certainly more reliable than whatever text someone might have added.

As for the Fosi Audio TP-02: This will certainly work well enough. You just have to make sure to dial the filter knob fully clockwise and have to find and maintain a reasonable volume setting.

It won't power off and on automatically. This is a tough requirement for any external amp, since the WiiM Amp doesn't have a trigger out.

You can. Hover the mouse cursor and watch the status bar, if your on a computer. Tap and hold the link until the target URL pops up, if you're on a mobile device.

Certainly more reliable than whatever text someone might have added.

As for the Fosi Audio TP-02: This will certainly work well enough. You just have to make sure to dial the filter knob fully clockwise and have to find and maintain a reasonable volume setting.

It won't power off and on automatically. This is a tough requirement for any external amp, since the WiiM Amp doesn't have a trigger out.
Again something learned thank you! Tried it on iPad, fine.

Would this work?

Dayton Audio DTA-100LF Desktop Low-Frequency Amplifier with EQ

Close enough to budget at $123 on Amazon.

If this will work, next question is how to hook it up to the WiiM Amp.

Would this work?

Dayton Audio DTA-100LF Desktop Low-Frequency Amplifier with EQ

Close enough to budget at $123 on Amazon.

If this will work, next question is how to hook it up to the WiiM Amp.
At that price I'd say: Go for it.

Power output is a little bit on the lowish side, but should work just fine unless you want club levels at your garden parties.

To use it with the WiiM Amp do the following:
  • Connect the Amp's sub output to the DTA's line in. You can use a single channel RCA cable and connect it to the left line input, only. You coul also use a Y style splitter cable, but it wouldn't make a difference.
  • Set Auto On to on and EQ to off. You can play around with it any time later, but it won't help with initial setup (plus the WiiM Amp can do the same, just more flexible). Turn the subsonic filter dial to the off position.
  • On the DTA's front panel set low pass gain to 5 and low pass freq to 200 Hz. The EQ settings should have no effect with the slider switch on the back set to off.
  • Connect the sub wires to the speaker outputs, connect the power cord and set the main power switch to on, of course.
  • Within the WiiM Home app switch on the subwoofer output and set the crossover frequency to ~80 Hz. With the sub level still at 0 dB give it a first listen. If the sub level seems about OK or even too loud, play around with the phase dial on the DTA's front panel until you get the loudest output. If it is too low, increase the level in the WiiM Home app until above conditions are met and adjust the phase for max level.
  • Only if the sub's level is too low even with volume set to +15 dB, slightly increase the gain at the DTA. Adjust final level to your taste.
That should be it for a start.

Depending on your main speakers you could try different crossover frequencies later on, but 80 Hz should generally be a good compromise. Whenever you change the crossover frequency you might have to readjust the phase for maximum output. If you feel that a certain frequency range needs taming or some extra beef you could try out the DTA's EQ or do the same from the WiiM Amp's EQ settings.

It might be worth playing with the subsonic filter on the DTA. This will remove very low bass. Even if you acquired a sub to get low bass in the first place, it makes no sense to waste amplifier power and woofer cone movement for inaudible rumble.

Many thanks to those who replied. I went with the Dayton Audio DTA-100LF amp. It will be here in a couple of days. I have a small backyard, with close neighbors. This setup should do the trick.

Special thanks to harkpabst for the great write up on how to install it!

Back