Ugh. Never flipped flopped so much Qobuz vs Apple Music airplay

Bozzz

Driving me nuts. I have Qobuz it expires tomorrow. Also Apple Music. My wife and family use Apple Music. Love listening to classical and jazz on both. I honestly can’t tell the difference between Apple Music’s 256 16/44.1 and lossless/high res on Qobuz. On one hand my mind set is I can’t tell the difference so why pay extra for Qobuz. On the other I have a decent system and want to feed it the best signal. Wiim pro plus to Willsenton r8 integrated tube amp to Wharfdale speakers. Might end up keeping Qobuz or even thinking about tidal with the upcoming price drop. Wife says if you can’t hear the difference why pay for another service. Ugh. Decisions. Ready to just enjoy the music.

They usually do lol. Might end up staying with Apple Music. Sounds amazing to me.

Reactions: LEZ
The only reason I have come up with to have two streaming services, Amazon and Qobuz is the breath of content. There is just some stuff that they each have that the other does not. Either that or the algorithm works differently on the same content. I did drop Qobuz for a few months and try and train Amazon but did not get served some of the more eclectic European content Qobuz consistently offered up.....

The only reason I have come up with to have two streaming services, Amazon and Qobuz is the breath of content. There is just some stuff that they each have that the other does not. Either that or the algorithm works differently on the same content. I did drop Qobuz for a few months and try and train Amazon but did not get served some of the more eclectic European content Qobuz consistently offered up.....
I agree. I use both too. The breadth of content in having both Amazon and Qobuz is extensive.

For me old man it is simply for keeping track of my favorites and laziness.
Jazz & Classic = Qobuz
Rock/Pop = Tidal
Dolby/Spatial/mobil via Headphones = Apple
Audiobooks = Spotify
Tidal and Qobuz also increases the choice for Roon.
Beside, it saves money enough because it avoids buying the wrong stuff.

If as you say you can’t hear a difference, and if you only want one service, Apple has a more comprehensive library than Qobuz (in my opinion).

well, not sure it's worth much to anyone, but Qobuz pays the artists the most per stream... + the CEO has said many times that they are not going to lose the human-curated touch you get with the whole Qobuz experience and move to some algorithmic nonsense like everybody else. that and the fact that they have better HiRes than anyone else (Tidal still relies on unpacked MQA for a lot of their HiRes library afaik) makes it a no-brainer for me. 🤷‍♂️
if one of my mates wants to include me in their spotify family i'm not gonna say no, but that's only useful for the social features like shared playlists/party mode etc. once Qobuz connect is launched later this year it'll be far and away the best service from all angles imo 🤔

Human touch vs algorithmic nonsense...
This is quite interesting, but I'd have thought that the algorithm would pretty much be asking 'What have you liked that other people have also liked, and what have they liked that you haven't?
And the result is effectively fairly personal suggestions from other humans :)

Or maybe Q (as they are seemingly now known here) are still working on their algorithm. That would explain the frankly awful suggestions I got when i was using it. :ROFLMAO:

This is quite interesting, but I'd have thought that the algorithm would pretty much be asking 'What have you liked that other people have also liked, and what have they liked that you haven't?

Or maybe Q (as they are seemingly now known here) are still working on their algorithm. That would explain the frankly awful suggestions I got when i was using it. :ROFLMAO:
well, if the algorithms were built and implemented that way, then yes - it would be great!

I actually personally know the guys who founded Soundwave (the irish startup that spotify acquired to build out this feature) and let's just say that it worked a LOT differently before the acquisition... :LOL:

the algorithms are now used to funnel people towards the promoted artists - those that are invariably suported by the big 3 record labels. this is why we get people who seem to not be able to find good new music. when in reality there's more quiality stuff out there than ever before imo 🤷‍♂️

I don’t think anyone outside Qobuz knows anything more about Qobuz Connect and they’re definitely not saying. .
Except those under NDA. Definitely Masimo and WiiM/LinkPlay, and perhaps a couple of other CE conglomerates. And possibly, at this point, a set of alpha/beta testers under NDA to one or more of those companies -- a few of whom could be journalists/influencers. Depends on how far along the project has progressed. Nobody ain't sayin' nuttin'.

Pandora, Last.FM and others pioneered that approach way early on. It tends to work better for people with very narrow musical tastes. Much less reliable for those with wildly eclectic but not indiscriminate tastes. An AI-driven multidimensional approach could improve that.
Qobuz has stated that they're doing so. As AI is becoming more commoditized, I think they'll eventually leverage it to more rapidly perfect their predictive algorithms as well as drive some of the autoplay functionality. Ideally, they'll be able to do so without losing the human editorial element that so many of their subscribers love (and I include myself among that group).

Back