USB - how does that work?

Steve Woodhouse

Major Contributor
I'm currently on a Mini, but intend to get the Ultra when it appears, and presume USB functionality will be similar to the Amp.

So, if I have a USB drive full of music, folders structured by artist, then album folders inside each artist's folder. These all ripped some time ago for my PC and portable media player. How does that show?

Can I access it by folder structure? Can I, or do I have to view by choosing artist, album, or song?

Can I create playlists?

Many thanks.

I'm currently on a Mini, but intend to get the Ultra when it appears, and presume USB functionality will be similar to the Amp.

So, if I have a USB drive full of music, folders structured by artist, then album folders inside each artist's folder. These all ripped some time ago for my PC and portable media player. How does that show?

Can I access it by folder structure? Can I, or do I have to view by choosing artist, album, or song?

Can I create playlists?

Many thanks.

Yes, you can view it by folder and play it that way. It does appear that you can create a playlist from its contents but it then appears under My Music and not under the Playlist section of the USB/Home Music Share which would suggest they’re not written to the USB drive.

IMG_8632.jpeg

Edit: navigating by Artist is similar (or perhaps better) to Folder in that you get a list of artists with each name annotated with the number of albums, and from there you get their album list etc.

Yes, you can view it by folder and play it that way. It does appear that you can create a playlist from its contents but it then appears under My Music and not under the Playlist section of the USB/Home Music Share which would suggest they’re not written to the USB drive.

View attachment 5389

Edit: navigating by Artist is similar (or perhaps better) to Folder in that you get a list of artists with each name annotated with the number of albums, and from there you get their album list etc.

Cheers, great info.

Regarding Artist view, in previous incarnations, I’ve found that I hate doing this. You bring up the artist list, and you get every chuffing singer who’s appeared on even one compilation/various artists CD.

And then, if you bring up (just as an example) U2, it brings up every compilation they’ve been on.

It’s good if you’re looking for someone who’s a one hit wonder, or you only like one of their songs, and you can’t remember which ‘Now’ it was on, but otherwise it’s just a mess.

Well, that’s my experience/preference, each to their own. 👍

Tbh, I haven’t checked if the Artist list is an AlbumArtist list or as you suggest an Artist list.

In all other uses, it’s an Artist list, but then when you click on the artist, it brings up every album they’re on.

Similarly, if you bring up the artist list, it brings up every artist who appears on every compilation.

A separate ‘album artist’ list which just lists ‘various artists’ would be excellent, but you’d surely still need to keep pure ‘artist’, too.

WiiM might be different, have a look if you get a moment. Cheers.

Yeah, it’s unfortunately an Artist not AlbumArtist list, so Folder browsing would be up your best bet

Cheers. You know, it’s a shame. Album Artist is, after all, a known tag. But I apply that to every system I’ve seen, not just WiiM.

Regarding playlists, I've created a few using MusicBee software on my laptop. I then exported them as .M3U files. Those files were put in a Playlist folder on the usb stick dedicated for use on the Wiim Amp. Works pretty well.

... using MusicBee software on my laptop.
MusicBee also offers a solution for the artist vs. album artist problem.

When synchronising your music collection (in whatever places it might be stored) with a USB thumb drive, MusicBee provides lots of useful sync settings. One of them is to replace the artist tag with either the Sort Artist or Display Artist. Display Artist is what MusicBee displays for albums featuring multiple artists and usually just mirrors the album artist.

MusicBee Synch Settings.png

On-the-fly conversion is probably not what you want when preparing a memory stick for the WiiM Amp, but is super handy for use in lowly car systems.

Regarding playlists, I've created a few using MusicBee software on my laptop. I then exported them as .M3U files. Those files were put in a Playlist folder on the usb stick dedicated for use on the Wiim Amp. Works pretty well.

I don’t suppose you could show me how to do this, I am struggling in creating playlists on a usb drive to plug into my WiiM amp!

I don’t suppose you could show me how to do this, I am struggling in creating playlists on a usb drive to plug into my WiiM amp!
As much as I would like to be helpful, I'm not sure how to go about it. This forum is not the best place to conduct a tutoring session.
Spend some time with your favorite search engine and hopefully you'll find the help you need. Good luck.

Can I create playlists?

Many thanks.

FYI… the USB feature many are after on a streamer is not the USB-in port but rather the USB digital out to an external DAC.

Back