Very simple request - metronome

rjw

Feature is simple. Let me play a metronome (a tick every second) to an entire WiiM group to make it easy to check the sync and make any adjustments.

Won’t you find a metronome track on your streaming service and play that? If not, then I’d be surprised if you couldn’t find a free track online you could download.

Won’t you find a metronome track on your streaming service and play that? If not, then I’d be surprised if you couldn’t find a free track online you could download.

Sure, but at the moment I ran into this issue, and was trying to get my speakers to synch, the last thing I wanted to do was go and find this track. There actually isn't a "metronome" track on spotify, I found one on YouTube but Wiim mini can't play that - it ended up being a big hassle.

Yes, given time you can make this track. But it's also a super trivial feature for Wiim.

Also, have you tried the auto sync in your WiiM device settings?

See my posts on trying to get the Denon AVR working. The synch worked for analog input but I have had a lot of trouble with the AVR.

Sure, but at the moment I ran into this issue, and was trying to get my speakers to synch, the last thing I wanted to do was go and find this track. There actually isn't a "metronome" track on spotify, I found one on YouTube but Wiim mini can't play that - it ended up being a big hassle.

Yes, given time you can make this track. But it's also a super trivial feature for Wiim.
To be frank, if it’s on YouTube it’s pretty trivial to Google and find a way to save the audio to your phone and then play that. I‘d rather WiiM didn’t spend development time on something users could easily achieve for themselves 🤷‍♂️

Googling “Spotify metronome” and the first result is
The counter argument would be that ensuring your speakers are synced is something everyone needs to do, and it's easier to do that with a track that makes the timing very evident.

It may be as simple as them updating the test music that they already have (for validating digital bitrate) to include 10 seconds of metronome.

The counter argument would be that ensuring your speakers are synced is something everyone needs to do, and it's easier to do that with a track that makes the timing very evident.

It may be as simple as them updating the test music that they already have (for validating digital bitrate) to include 10 seconds of metronome.
Or, for your single person use case, you could simply play the track from Spotify. :rolleyes:

I can't believe this is a single person request. Even if the synch works you will want to verify that.
I find that the rhythmic doof doof doof of most pop songs does the trick for me. ;)
It gets close but it's not crisp enough and there's too much going on. I was really struggling to figure out which side was "late" until I put the metronome track on. At that point it was easy to tell from which side I heard the click first.

I can't believe this is a single person request. Even if the synch works you will want to verify that.

It gets close but it's not crisp enough and there's too much going on. I was really struggling to figure out which side was "late" until I put the metronome track on. At that point it was easy to tell from which side I heard the click first.
I hope the big, smiley face conveyed the intention of my mostly tongue in cheek response.
However, I do find the doof doof to be generally plently good enough - walking just a couple of metres into/away from any synched room is enough to cause a difference, so 'good enough' is good enough, for me anyway!

I hope the big, smiley face conveyed the intention of my mostly tongue in cheek response.
However, I do find the doof doof to be generally plently good enough - walking just a couple of metres into/away from any synched room is enough to cause a difference, so 'good enough' is good enough, for me anyway!
Yeah, these areas are connected by a hallway. What I actually want is for it to be synced in the hallway where you can hear the sound from both rooms. Once you're in either room it's less important.

And for what it's worth the metronome track makes it easy to adjust. Start with auto sync, go to the point where the signals interfere, and you can easily hear which direction is "late" and fine tune it

I found it helpful which is why I suggested it as a trivial feature

A convenient test signal for manually synchronisation is e.g. a rectangle PWM 50% on 1Hz.

Back