What about the Pro Internal DAC?

Jim Shaw

I am probably going to buy a WiiM Pro, the value being fair. (I am already using two Minis).
I am interested in what data you might have on the new Pro's DAC. The only description I can find is that WiiM says it is 'audiophile quality." Typically, that doesn't say much because there's no rigorous definition of it.
I would prefer to use a new Pro without an outboard DAC, but to get actual 24/192k high res dynamic range music out of it to my amp.

What more can be said of the DAC inside the Pro?

It’s exactly the same DAC as the Mini, as confirmed by WiiM

Post in thread 'WiiM Pro Preview'
https://wiim.community.forum/threads/wiim-pro-preview.9/post-41

It’s exactly the same DAC as the Mini, as confirmed by WiiM

Post in thread 'WiiM Pro Preview'
https://wiim.community.forum/threads/wiim-pro-preview.9/post-41

It has the built in DAC featuring a high-precision, low-jitter TI Burr-Brown PCM5121 DAC with support of up to 384 kHz/32-bit audio with 106 dB SNR. It can support up to 24 bit/192 kHz digital audio output with gapless playback and hi-res lossless audio that most smartphone can't output directly.
I was under the (mis?)understanding that the Pro had an upgraded DAC. I guess I'm a bit disappointed because I definitely hear an improvement using a separate DAC (Modi3) from the Mini analog output.
Ah well, Amir's review showed the Mini DAC to be pretty good, and I'm happy to have 24/96k to good analog. I just want to eliminate an outboard DAC from the chain if I'm able. Too many stoves spoil the stew...

I have convinced myself (true or not) that I hear not just a difference but an improvement between 16-bit and 24-bit.

Do you place your Modi3 as Wi-Fi->WiiM->Modi3->speakers?
I have Devialet, which accepts 3.5 or optical input and am looking for the best way to stick a better-quality DAC into the mix.
thanks very much for any thoughts? (Beside laughter)
~Peter

Do you place your Modi3 as Wi-Fi->WiiM->Modi3->speakers?
I have Devialet, which accepts 3.5 or optical input and am looking for the best way to stick a better-quality DAC into the mix.
thanks very much for any thoughts? (Beside laughter)
~Peter
I do. Wifi > WiiM > optical > Modi3 > RCA analog > Emotiva preamp > RCA analog > Emotiva A300 > Elac DBR62 + 2 powered subwoofers driven from the preamp.
This setup seems stable and has been in use since several months ago.

Is that clear?

I do. Wifi > WiiM > optical > Modi3 > RCA analog > Emotiva preamp > RCA analog > Emotiva A300 > Elac DBR62 + 2 powered subwoofers driven from the preamp.
This setup seems stable and has been in use since several months ago.

Is that clear?
Excellent and my thanks for taking the time - appreciated.
~P

Back