What are you listening to?

Knew him only as composer of film music. But as a confessing non-cineast it seems I overlooked some good music. Will try also!

Yeah, he’s more often known these days for his film and orchestral works, but early on in his career he was briefly in some local, relatively well known bands (well, here in Scotland anyway ;) ) such as Hipsway, The Big Dish and Texas.
The above has put me in mind to listen to his first album “The Space Between Us” which also has a version of The Blue Nile’s “Let’s Go Out Tonight”. Hope you enjoy it :)

Attachments

• IMG_8253.jpeg
    IMG_8253.jpeg
    953.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back from gear to music. This new release jumped to my eyes quite quickly.
Jazz, Mahler AND Big Band. Reads for me like a perfect match.
After two complete listenings my thoughts are quite ambivalent.
As usual this ACT production is perfectly recorded and sounds superb.
The artists playing is outstanding.
But...I miss everything that makes Jazz!
It is perfectly played, note by note from a score and on its right place.
Would name it simply Big Band Music. May be in the style of European "Dance Orchestras" from the time after WW2. Like Strasser or Greger. Arranged and composed from A to Z.
Building a Big Band with the typical instruments of Jazz does not mean they make Jazz. For me it is too....academic!
Nothing to do with Jazz in the meaning of the Duke or the Count. Good played but false flagged. Sorry. 😉

Screenshot_20231027_133014_Qobuz Bta.jpeg

4:1 win on the road, weekend in front, a Columbian coffee, the house still sleeping, Robert's music via Qobuz and listened to by a WiiM Pro (and an external DAC), a vintage receiver and very good headphones.
Hard to beat. Possible of course. Not the music. But "better" sound? It will cost a lot.

IMG_1826.jpeg

So a question, going through my 1000+ discs, I want to transfer to NAS. What do you use to record to media? I could go .wav or .flac. thanks all.
As others have mentioned, dBPoweramp does a good job, I have heard. I personally use EAC then foobar2000 to finish tweaking the tags, but I love the details and I'm a bit OCD. I normally rip to FLAC, for home use and 320 AAC for the portable for in car and earphone/IEM use. I would also say have fun with it, it is part of a hobby, right? Oh, read a few articles on naming conventions for files and folders, if you are doing 1000+ discs, starting out organized will be very helpful. :cool:

My inner clock does not accept this summer/winter-time nonsense..maybe I should try some "audiophile" re-clocking? 😂
So time for Chet with one of my favorite floating-in-the-day records.

20231029_043748.jpeg

Back