Why are updates not automatically installed?

Benno

First, I think it is great that the Wiim team is rolling out updates every couple weeks. It's good to see this continued development/enhancement.

The downside to that is with 8 Wiims, it takes time to "push the button" and wait for each one to update (I've tried to speed up the process using a phone and a tablet to do two different Wiim's at the same time).

I guess I'm curious to know why the updates are not just installed automatically during 2:00 - 5:00am local time and then just the rocket pop up with the announcement that the update has happened with feature/bug changes.

Or am I missing how to do this automatically?

First, I think it is great that the Wiim team is rolling out updates every couple weeks. It's good to see this continued development/enhancement.

The downside to that is with 8 Wiims, it takes time to "push the button" and wait for each one to update (I've tried to speed up the process using a phone and a tablet to do two different Wiim's at the same time).

I guess I'm curious to know why the updates are not just installed automatically during 2:00 - 5:00am local time and then just the rocket pop up with the announcement that the update has happened with feature/bug changes.

Or am I missing how to do this automatically?
If you do nothing then they will get installed automatically at some point.
Can't guarantee it'll be between 2 and 5 though!

Edit: well, that's been my experience so far, and seeing as I manually updated one of my pros last night and this morning the other two show an update is available, I'm just going to wait to see what happens...

A common complaint since WiiMs were first released is that users generally don’t like the automatic updates we tend to get and would prefer to choose when or indeed if they should apply a firmware update. You’re probably the first to call for it to be totally automatic :)

What if you just happen to switch off during update not knowing it's updating

A big fat no to auto updates

Plus a new update can introduce more bugs or instability, so it's best to find out first then allow it

Ok, understand the points made... maybe a setup option to let the user choose?

Since I don't power off my units, this shouldn't be a problem for me.

There's a chance of power failure (we live fairly remote in a rural part of the US). The power failure could happen while I'm doing the updates too, not just between 2-5 am.

Just opened the wiim home app.
One of my 2 remaining pros updated at some point during the day today; don't know exactly when, but I first posted at 07:30 and it's now 22:30, so definitely not between 2 and 5 am!
The 2nd pro still has the update arrow next to it.

There's a chance of power failure (we live fairly remote in a rural part of the US). The power failure could happen while I'm doing the updates too, not just between 2-5 am.
That truly amazes me. The last power failure here in Germany that I remember was probably decades ago. Mostly in the 70s during thunderstorms. Not so much in the 80s and hardly ever later. Must be scary to always have to expect electricity to be gone.

Back