WiiM Amp setup that requires WiFi username?

TahoeGator

My son just returned to University with the new WiiM Amp he got for Christmas and his university’s Wi-Fi network requires a username. Any idea how to set it up? Even just to get around the initial set up so he can use it without a Wi-Fi, or a way to figure out the MAC address to submit to the IT department, would be a start but seems that the app is requiring him to have his phone and the WiiM app on the same network to get started. Help!

My son just returned to University with the new WiiM Amp he got for Christmas and his university’s Wi-Fi network requires a username. Any idea how to set it up? Even just to get around the initial set up so he can use it without a Wi-Fi, or a way to figure out the MAC address to submit to the IT department, would be a start but seems that the app is requiring him to have his phone and the WiiM app on the same network to get started. Help!
I doubt the Wiim Amp can connect to the university network (eduroam?) but Ethernet might work. However, I do not know if a mobile on the university WiFi will find the Wiim Amp on an Ethernet connection and if it could then so could everyone else on the WiFi network.

Could he log on to the uni wifi on his phone, enable phone hotspot, share wifi on hotspot, and connect wiim amp via the phone hotspot?

Could he log on to the uni wifi on his phone, enable phone hotspot, share wifi on hotspot, and connect wiim amp via the phone hotspot?

Why not just connect to his phone hotspot in the first place, using the native data, to set up ?

Why not just connect to his phone hotspot in the first place, using the native data, to set up ?
Possibly could; I was mostly trying to emphasise sharing wifi (as opposed to mobile data) over the hotspot connection, as that sometimes needs an additional step to enable.
i.e. you can disable mobile data on the phone and the wiim will still work via the phone's wifi connection.

Possibly could; I was mostly trying to emphasise sharing wifi (as opposed to mobile data) over the hotspot connection, as that sometimes needs an additional step to enable.
i.e. you can disable mobile data on the phone and the wiim will still work via the phone's wifi connection.

I’m not sure that’s possible. As far as I’m aware, use of personal hotspot uses the data from your network bundle. The act of connecting to that hotspot disconnects you from any WiFi network that you may have been using.

Disabling mobile data disables your hotspot, supporting what I’m saying.

In any case 4 or 5G data would be more than adequate just to set up the Wiim.

Setting up is one thing but you are going to struggle to make any sensible use of it if you don't have a means of connecting to it to select something to play even from a connected USB.

Right at the beginning the OP asked about where to find the MAC address in order to give it to "IT". If you can connect you will find the MAC address inside the app under Device Info. It may be possible that IT can allow a non username connection based on MAC address.

EDIT
I don't have an Amp but there may also be a sticker on the underside of it with the MAC address listed @Brantome ?

@TahoeGator

Does your son have a computer which he uses with the University Wi-Fi network ?

If so, he could enable a Wi-Fi hotspot on the computer and connect his phone and Wiim amp both to the hotspot.

I have just tested this with my Windows 11 PC

1. I enabled the hotspot on the PC
2. Connected my Android phone to the hotspot
3. Did a reset on one of my Wiim Minis and connected it over wi-fi to the PC hotspot using the Wiim app on my phone
4. Successfully played a Radio Paradise stream on the Wiim Mini initiated from the Wiim app on my phone

@TahoeGator

Does your son have a computer which he uses with the University Wi-Fi network ?

If so, he could enable a Wi-Fi hotspot on the computer and connect his phone and Wiim amp both to the hotspot.

I have just tested this with my Windows 11 PC

1. I enabled the hotspot on the PC
2. Connected my Android phone to the hotspot
3. Did a reset on one of my Wiim Minis and connected it over wi-fi to the PC hotspot using the Wiim app on my phone
4. Successfully played a Radio Paradise stream on the Wiim Mini initiated from the Wiim app on my phone
Good workaround with only drawback that the laptop will always have to stay powered on like that in order to play something.

Travel router is the solution to creating a usable local network when dealing with a captive login system.

I’m not sure that’s possible. As far as I’m aware, use of personal hotspot uses the data from your network bundle. The act of connecting to that hotspot disconnects you from any WiFi network that you may have been using.

Disabling mobile data disables your hotspot, supporting what I’m saying.

In any case 4 or 5G data would be more than adequate just to set up the Wiim.
Now that is very strange...
I would have sworn that when I tried this a bit before xmas my phone asked me whether I wanted to share wifi too, but that phone died and the only way I can see to share wifi on my new phone, without mobile data, is via bluetooth.

Of course, I suppose it's possible I could have been mistaken too.
Unlikely, but possible :ROFLMAO:

Back