WiiM Mini: update firmware

tomash

Hello,

yesterday I bought and set up WiiM Mini. I'm having troubles connecting my Tidal account -- login form seems to accept my credentials and shows checkmark, but after some seconds I get a "login failed" message and I'm back to login form. I've also tried to stream to WiiM from my phone (like I do to Chromecast) but it also failed.

I read both this forum and firmware release notes, getting the conclusion that I should have the latest firmware, as many Tidal connectivity issues seem to have been fixed in the last year. The firmware my WiiM Mini reports is from 2023-04-27, version 4.6.515159. It did not upgrade when pairing with mobile app -- neither one one phone nor one on tablet. I've also tried factory reset and it did not help.

How do i force my WiiM Mini to upgrade its firmware to latest version?

Hello,

yesterday I bought and set up WiiM Mini. I'm having troubles connecting my Tidal account -- login form seems to accept my credentials and shows checkmark, but after some seconds I get a "login failed" message and I'm back to login form. I've also tried to stream to WiiM from my phone (like I do to Chromecast) but it also failed.

I read both this forum and firmware release notes, getting the conclusion that I should have the latest firmware, as many Tidal connectivity issues seem to have been fixed in the last year. The firmware my WiiM Mini reports is from 2023-04-27, version 4.6.515159. It did not upgrade when pairing with mobile app -- neither one one phone nor one on tablet. I've also tried factory reset and it did not help.

4.6.603557 the latest version was released 1/4/2024. Try close app by removing it to the memory then open. If that did not work, reboot wiim. If all fail, send message to wiim app and will see what causing it.​

Some extra context: I'm based in Poland, Europe. I never have issues with US-based services, but network routing across the pond can be a finnicky thing (I'm a software engineer at tech company that operates globally).

After contacting support and their suggestion to change the Preferred DNS server to some other address -- I couldn't do it, I can only enable or disable 8.8.8.8 being the preferred one. And of course both settings (preferred or not) didn't work, as per previous attempts.

But this gave me an idea to try something else. I've entered Manual IP configuration, gave the WiiM an IP that's outside of my DHCP's auto-assigned range, and set Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 as the DNS server.

Lo and behold, this time the firmware update downloaded and installed successfully. My WiiM Mini now runs on latest 4.6.603557 and Tidal works. Great!

So just writing it down here, maybe it'll help someone else experiencing similar issue.

Some extra context: I'm based in Poland, Europe. I never have issues with US-based services, but network routing across the pond can be a finnicky thing (I'm a software engineer at tech company that operates globally).

After contacting support and their suggestion to change the Preferred DNS server to some other address -- I couldn't do it, I can only enable or disable 8.8.8.8 being the preferred one. And of course both settings (preferred or not) didn't work, as per previous attempts.

But this gave me an idea to try something else. I've entered Manual IP configuration, gave the WiiM an IP that's outside of my DHCP's auto-assigned range, and set Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 as the DNS server.

Lo and behold, this time the firmware update downloaded and installed successfully. My WiiM Mini now runs on latest 4.6.603557 and Tidal works. Great!

So just writing it down here, maybe it'll help someone else experiencing similar issue.
I am having problems updating firmware; it always failed to download the new firmware. How do you enter manual IP configuration on the WiiM Mini? Thanks!

Hello,

Hello,

To help us further debug the update failure issue, could you help send us feedback with the WiiM Home app by selecting App Settings -> Feedback? We will check it immediately after receiving it.

I am having problems updating firmware; it always failed to download the new firmware. How do you enter manual IP configuration on the WiiM Mini? Thanks!
Device Settings -> Network status -> Configure IP.

Device Settings -> Network status -> Configure IP.
Thanks! But I don't have the "Configure IP" option. Maybe it's in a newer version of the firmware than mine. I have 4.6.507043. Thanks anyway!

Thanks! But I don't have the "Configure IP" option. Maybe it's in a newer version of the firmware than mine. I have 4.6.507043. Thanks anyway!

Ooof. See if you can override (force) specific DNS servers in your router configuration, and if yes -- make it 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare), and see if it helps.

Ooof. See if you can override (force) specific DNS servers in your router configuration, and if yes -- make it 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare), and see if it helps.
I tried that (setting 1.1.1.1 as DNS server for DHCP) and the update didn't work.

This also didn't work for me. I only get to change to last two digits of the IP address, but even when I change it to 99, it just connects like that, and still just claims the old firmware version is up to date (it's 9 months old).
Have tried many options in the network settings, device settings, router settings, and nothing has changed it.

In fact, now I can't connect to my WiiM Mini using Bluetooth on my phone any more.

Back