Wiim Pro best digital output to AVR?

graystones

I just ordered a Wiim Pro to use as a streamer for my Denon AVR-X4800H rather than having to deal with the clunky HEOS ecosystem and have options for Tidal Connect should I decide to keep that as my main streaming service. The AVR supports Spotify Connect, so I imagine the Wiim wouldn't be needed for that.

Given that my Denon DAC is probably at least as good as the DAC in any of the Wiim devices, I opted for the Pro so I could still have Chromecast support.

Which output is the best output to the AVR?

Only you can decide that - try both analog and digital (and both of them) and stick with what you and your ears/brain prefer :)

Using the digital output from the WiiM to the Denon is better as it eliminates the WiiM D to A and Denon A to D conversions, but just because it is better it does not mean you will like the sound of it better.

Using the digital output from the WiiM to the Denon is better as it eliminates the WiiM D to A and Denon A to D conversions, but just because it is better it does not mean you will like the sound of it better.
Would I be correct in assuming the Toslink (optical) is the only digital out connection? What I'm trying to determine is which outputs are digital to avoid a D to A output, and of all digital options, which is the empirically better output type. Thanks.

What’s sound better on someone’s ear does not mean it sound better on your ear. All these dacs are flavoring to the sound. Two most popular dac chip akm and ess totally different sound signature.

What’s sound better on someone’s ear does not mean it sound better on your ear. All these dacs are flavoring to the sound. Two most popular dac chip akm and ess totally different sound signature.
I am bypassing the internal DAC of the player, which is why I chose the Pro vs the Pro Plus and am only looking at the digital outputs on the device.
There are coaxial and optical digital outputs on the WiiM Pro Plus. Here's an image of the back of the unit.

I will do some more research on the difference between coaxial vs the Toslink optical audio output.

Back