WiiM Pro Initial Setup

As reported yesterday, I received my test WiiM Pro unit yesterday and I hope over the next week or so to relate my experience with it.

Thank you for your detailed review of WiiM Pro.

I have a question.

When work with Amazon music on the Wiim app, is the Pro faster than the Mini? Or about the same?

Also, is there a speed difference in Alexa cast control?

(My English is Google Translate, I'm Japan.)

Thank you for your detailed review of WiiM Pro.

I have a question.

When work with Amazon music on the Wiim app, is the Pro faster than the Mini? Or about the same?

Also, is there a speed difference in Alexa cast control?

(My English is Google Translate, I'm Japan.)
TBH, I haven't noticed any difference in speed as both are very responsive

Can you have optical and spdif coax outputs working together same time? Can you set resolution parameters independently for them?
While both are fully capable of independent output settings, it appears that I am limited to having one output active at a time.

Please, everyone chime in if I'm wrong on this since I'm still in the  noob stage.

I noticed that in order to activate the Pro's hardwired ethernet jack, I had to turn off wifi.

While both are fully capable of independent output settings, it appears that I am limited to having one output active at a time.

Please, everyone chime in if I'm wrong on this since I'm still in the  noob stage.
Looks like you can indeed only select one output at a time in the app

Just got my WiimPro 3 hours ago. I'm using an iPad for the app. The Apple app is atrociously incompetent. Probably the worst app I have on my iPad.

Worse yet is the Little White Booklet -- functionally useless.
I really can't understand how a company can design a product, tool it up, manufacture it in volume, sell it all over the world, but fail to have the ability to write a useful user manual! I'm gobsmacked by the insult to the customer to not be bothered with proper instructions.
I got it working through trial and error. I could sit down and write a USEABLE MANUAL in about 15 minutes, but somehow the company couldn't be bothered.

The worst part of the app is that there is no HOME button. If you get stuck in the settings and it isn't working you can't back up to the beginning. You have to kill the app and restart it! Really? Sorry, that's just incompetence to the extteme.

Odd, the WiiM app, at least on the iPhone, is widely considered to be pretty darn good. Better than Bluesound and Sonos apps, IME.

Just got my WiimPro 3 hours ago. I'm using an iPad for the app. The Apple app is atrociously incompetent. Probably the worst app I have on my iPad.

I really can't understand how a company can design a product, tool it up, manufacture it in volume, sell it all over the world, but fail to have the ability to write a useful user manual! I'm gobsmacked by the insult to the customer to not be bothered with proper instructions.
I got it working through trial and error. I could sit down and write a USEABLE MANUAL in about 15 minutes, but somehow the company couldn't be bothered.

The worst part of the app is that there is no HOME button. If you get stuck in the settings and it isn't working you can't back up to the beginning. You have to kill the app and restart it! Really? Sorry, that's just incompetence to the extteme.
Sorry to hear you’re having so many issues with the iPad app. I have an iPad let me know you run into any additional issue. The included manual more a quick start and there much more info under settings then FAQ.

Not my experience as I say in the second comment in this thread: "I then fired up the WiiM app on my Ipad and stepped thru setup as shown in the rather self explanatory screenshots shown".
Nor have I experienced being stuck in the settings - I've always been able to use the back arrow to go back a level.
Hope your experience of the actual unit in operation is more optimistic.

I've been buying stereo gear since 1970. I'm accustomed to manufacturers that have the resources to properly complete their offerings by considering the user experience. I'm referring to REAL companies that have the resources to be in a consumer market. They can take the time to write user manuals, they have designers who know how to label the controls, who know you don't use dark grey printing over black plastic to identify control surfaces, etc. This product ha s zero user friendliness because they have no clue how that is accomplished. Yes, it works--someone has a electrical design idea, then figured they were done. Very unsophisticated offering regarding the rest of the design. I see this happening a lot with "digital" products. I suspect it's because these are designed by kids who have no industrial or manufacturing or marketing experience. Just my opinion.
As soon as a Better one comes along, this one will go into my junk drawer.

Odd, the WiiM app, at least on the iPhone, is widely considered to be pretty darn good. Better than Bluesound and Sonos apps, IME.
You've got to admit that Bluesound and Sonos set a pretty low bar to surmount. :)

There are a few UX elements in the app that could be better executed, particularly in terms of navigation and organization, but the functional foundation is in place to improve those, so I'm inclined to feel hopeful they will be. There remain a couple of ecosystem improvements I'd like to see, but I'll post those in the appropriate forum.

People still cherish and pay dearly for great audio gear that was introduced 50 years ago! A Marantz, a McIntosh, an Audio Research piece. No one will cherish any of this digital detritis even a year from now. We all have that drawer filled with yesterday's cell phones, iPods, DACs, digital amps, USB junk. This is all disposable junk useful for a very very short time before the next hot chip is released and obsolescence sets in. I suppose that's what all makers of this fad stuff realizes. It has the lifespan of a house fly. Why bother spending even a penny on the aesthetics or the UX? There's no payoff.

I bought my first Marantz receiver in 1970 too. I’m also old and grumpy, but then I discovered Margaritas.
Indeed, I'm old and grumpy. I threaten to smash my i Phone at least three times a day. I allowed myself to get sucked into digital audio one step at a time. If it gets too much more frustrating, I'll go back to LPs.

Plugging in a cable and pulling an IP automatically turns off Wi-Fi. Input label says Wi-Fi no matter what connection is active.
yeah, i noticed that wifi input option as well. Seems like it would be better to have the option of turning all wifi off in the app.

Nor have I experienced being stuck in the settings - I've always been able to use the back arrow to go back a level.
I incorrectly said "settings" when I mean to say "setup." If your BT isn't recognized after you complete "setup" the app doesn't allow you back to "setup". You have to hold a symbol on the box for some number of seconds to go back to setup. That doesn't make sense to me.

But once more, a proper User Guide would solve all this. But who can be bothered for a product with such a short life span? It would take me less than 1 hour to write a very thorough User Guide. Linkplay couldn't be bothered because this thing will only be saleable for a few months until the next faster, cheaper, better, chip arrives on the scene.

Back