Wiim Pro Power Requirement

Witterings

Major Contributor
Where a lot of my AV plugs in is quite inaccesible and have to move a number of things to get to it which is a bit of a pain.

I’ve got everything out at the moment and at some stage will probably upgrade my mini to a Pro but I’d heard it has a higher power requirement and thought I’d swap it out whilst I can easily get to it.

I’m guessing it comes with a lead but probably not the wall adapter, if anybody could let me know what amps are required, would be much appreciated.

Brilliant guys and cheers for that 2A it will be and saves me moving a load of stuff down the road :D

I’m now using the ifi 5vdc @3amps. This is a switcher but it seems ok. It should be… it’s 300 bucks.
the topping p 50 will not supply 2 amps. It’s only rated for one amp. The Pro wants 2 amps at the least.
a 5 vdc @3 amps would be good.

I've just measured my Pro with one of those digital outlet power meters. It showed 1 Watt and randomly 2 during booting and constantly 1 Watt during standby and streaming. The resolution of my power meter is 1 Watt and while I am aware that those power meters are not very precise, I know that they usually show values that are higher than reality for low loads. No need to use standby I guess.

Measured again with another better power meter (German Brennenstuhl PM231E).
Booting: varying between 0.7 and 2.5 Watt
Standby/idle/streaming: 1.5 Watt

Basically confirms what I measured first.

Standby seems to be a marketing gimmick. But power consumption is so low, we really don't need to worry about that.

In other words: max. 0.5A, 5V

Last edited:
I’m now using the ifi 5vdc @3amps. This is a switcher but it seems ok. It should be… it’s 300 bucks.
the topping p 50 will not supply 2 amps. It’s only rated for one amp. The Pro wants 2 amps at the least.
a 5 vdc @3 amps would be good.
So the Topping P50 will definitely not work with the Pro? I own one and have just brought the Pro. I'm tempted to try unless there's a safety issue.

it seems that often the old classic 1a wall transformers are "cleaner" than the 2a 2.1a...so that's good news this 0.5a...easy...

Measured again with another better power meter (German Brennenstuhl PM231E).
Booting: varying between 0.7 and 2.5 Watt
Standby/idle/streaming: 1.5 Watt

Basically confirms what I measured first.

Standby seems to be a marketing gimmick. But power consumption is so low, we really don't need to worry about that.

In other words: max. 0.5A, 5V
analog input and output in function? ethernet option in use?
etc
(otherwise there is the option that is often used "for the measurement with 5v usb" of large powerbanks")

Last edited:
I don't think at matters at how many amperes the power supply is rated as long a it is more than the WIIM will draw. When in doubt get more amperes. The power supply won't get stressed so much and probably run quieter and last longer.

to measure ( personnal).. on my side, (taking out all the ones I had in the drawer and cupboards).. as said above...
standard power supplies are significantly noisier the higher the available amperage.. and will remain so..
the idea of having a "margin" remains to be seen factually
if around 0.5a...a 1a is already "margined"
;-)
(not using "audiophile" power supply for the mini.. I got my answer anyway..)

as said above...
standard power supplies are significantly noisier the higher the available amperage..
Do you have any evidence of that? if I draw .8A from a 1A supply or from a 3A supply will there be a noise difference?

excuse me..
of course, too tight a diet will become too noisy...
but already check the exact max consumption of the pro...
I theorize nothing for my part
just that if a 1a is more than enough .. in the case of the transformers that I have at home ..
I prefer to use my significantly less dirty than my 2a
that's all
I will stay here...
I was just stupid to share this little observation...

Last edited:
Pretty dated but with obvious relation "more stress, smaller current margin, more noise". And such chargers are commonly used as PSUs for low current devices. Of course some of them can work better than others, ie. MeanWell GSM18E05-P1J with declared ripple noise 60mVpp.

Back