WiiM Pro 12v Trigger to compatible small amp

d6jg

Major Contributor
Here - https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/kitchen-refurb.1581/ - I posted about my WiiM Pro / Alexa and LMS install.

There is one minor issue with the current arrangement and that is that the Onkyo CD Receiver needs to be permanently ON for things to work. By ON I don't mean Standby I mean fully active. Obviously this uses a bit of power but it also means the amp, which is enclosed in a kitchen cabinet albeit ventilated, does get a bit warm.

What I really need is to replace the amp with something that can work with the WiiM trigger. It needs line in only, must have volume control (even though I will mostly be controlling volume in Alexa or LMS) and be capable of driving the B&W 8" speakers. It also needs to fit in the small cabinet which is only 300 deep.

It also needs to be budget friendly. Second hand would be OK.

It has occurred to me that removing both the Pro and amp and replacing with WiiM Amp maybe a longer term route but I feel it may be a waste of the WiiM Amp.

So does anybody know of a suitable small amplifier with compatible trigger input?

NB. A 230v trigger device with current amp probably won't work as when powered ON at mains level it doesn't always come on with same input selected.

Alternatively an amp with auto switching on digital input might do the job - anyone have experience of Topping MX3 ?

Besides the Topping MX3, have you considered the Topping PA5 II?

At the very least, the PA5 is more powerful than the MX3.

I own a Topping (TP) RA3 and the trigger works fine. (However, when using Alexa Routines, I don't use triggers because they cause malfunctions.)

Has the PA5 got a trigger input?

EDIT
I can now see that it does.

I’m running WiiM Pro Plus with PA5 II…also Plus.
There’s not very loud but audible pop when the 12v trigger is deactivated.
Does anyone else have this ’issue’?

I’m running WiiM Pro Plus with PA5 II…also Plus.
There’s not very loud but audible pop when the 12v trigger is deactivated.
Does anyone else have this ’issue’?
I think you need to see if it's a WiiM issue or an amp issue. The PA5 II has a slight popping sound when powered on and off.

So does anybody know of a suitable small amplifier with compatible trigger input?
My Parasound zAmp (v.3) works fine with WiiM's 12V trigger output (it also has a setting to sense an active input signal, and that works fine as well). It's also fairly compact (designed to fit in a half-height rack space), and sounds good.

In the end I decided on WiiM Pro connected by co-axial cable to Topping MX3 which has auto switching on all of its digital circuits and is sufficiently powerful enough to drive my in ceiling B&Ws. Yes there are better similar options available but as the location is a kitchen the MX3 is more than upto the task.

My wife can switch things on just by asking "Alexa play BBC Radio 2" etc where the audio quality is good enough and if I want to play something from my server at a higher quality I can control from my phone or for Silk browser on the Echo Show. Switching back and forth works perfectly.

Back