Wiim pro as input concentrator (pre-amp?!?)

homeduck

Hi,

I am wondering if I can use the wiim pro as input concentrator. Let me clarify a bit.

Current setup is the following:
- wiim pro as streamer (Spotify, Amazon and flac from a dlna server)
- Topping e30 mk2 dac
- Smsl a300 amp

Smsl Does not have native Trigger so i bought a iec plug Trigger to be driven On/off using wiim pro Trigger.
E30 has a native Trigger by sensing input level.
My intention is to expand input setup adding a cd player.
Cd player would be used only as transport, so my idea is to connect cd digital output to wiim pro digital input and then leave the chain as is (optical link between wiim and e30) in order to Keep Trigger function possible.

Does anyone use wiim pro as input concentrator?

Thanks

You've already got all the gear, why not try it?
A common use case is tv digital out into pro, then onto dac / amp.
No different really, surely?

Hi,

I am wondering if I can use the wiim pro as input concentrator. Let me clarify a bit.

Current setup is the following:
- wiim pro as streamer (Spotify, Amazon and flac from a dlna server)
- Topping e30 mk2 dac
- Smsl a300 amp

Smsl Does not have native Trigger so i bought a iec plug Trigger to be driven On/off using wiim pro Trigger.
E30 has a native Trigger by sensing input level.
My intention is to expand input setup adding a cd player.
Cd player would be used only as transport, so my idea is to connect cd digital output to wiim pro digital input and then leave the chain as is (optical link between wiim and e30) in order to Keep Trigger function possible.

Does anyone use wiim pro as input concentrator?

Thanks
Hi.

I don't use a CD player, but I have a Topping D30 pro DAC.

The D30 pro turns on when the Wiim wakes up standby or switches between inputs and outputs. For this reason, when the WiiM auto-input switching function is on, the DAC will turn on at the same time as the CD is played.

I haven't tried it so I'm sorry if I'm wrong.

You've already got all the gear, why not try it?
A common use case is tv digital out into pro, then onto dac / amp.
No different really, surely?
I was thinking the same, but my doubt is about using Coax between cd player and wiim. Currently i don’t have a cd player, i would buy a “vintage” one.
But ok, there should not be any difference.
Thanks

I was thinking the same, but my doubt is about using Coax between cd player and wiim. Currently i don’t have a cd player, i would buy a “vintage” one.
Thanks
WiiM doesn’t have a coax input - just optical, rca line in, bluetooth or wifi

What are people's experiences with the auto-sensing function? If this isn't perfect then I imagine switching between inputs would quickly become a pain.

Thanks
Ah, then I misread / misunderstood your original post - I thought you already had the cd transport!
No need to buy a vintage cd player, they are coming back into fashion...
But as @Brantome so wisely points out, it'd need an optical output.
Wondering why you'd put the signal through the wiim, esp. as you say the e30 has input sensing.

Edit, ok, so that the amp turns on automatically. Gee, just press the button ;)
You do realise you have to get up anyway to put a disc in the cd player...

Last edited:
What are people's experiences with the auto-sensing function? If this isn't perfect then I imagine switching between inputs would quickly become a pain.
Mine are rather positive, but it will depend on details and expectations. If you would like to have "in" port with higher priority than the network source, it won't work. If you would like to start the stream over "in" port in parallel with the network stream, and to get "in" stream active when network stream stops, it won't work. Etc etc.

Ah, then I misread / misunderstood your original post - I thought you already had the cd transport!
No need to buy a vintage cd player, they are coming back into fashion...
But as @Brantome so wisely points out, it'd need an optical output.
Wondering why you'd put the signal through the wiim, esp. as you say the e30 has input sensing.

Edit, ok, so that the amp turns on automatically. Gee, just press the button ;)
You do realise you have to get up anyway to put a disc in the cd player...
you are right, it is more a Matter of compulsive buying. Currently it is only an idea as i was converting my cds to flac using a pc and usb cd player. All flac files are stored in a dlna server and i use flac or streaming services through my phone apps (wiim/Spotify/Amazon). I need to silence the monkey On my shoulder 😅😅😅

one thing i don’t like with current setup is that the amp is triggered by wiim using a Trigger plug (so amp switch is always On), when i use (not so frequent) my turntable ( directly connected to amp) then i need to resume wiim from standby in any case…in that sense i was also thinking if the wiim pro can work as Phono stage

you are right, it is more a Matter of compulsive buying. Currently it is only an idea as i was converting my cds to flac using a pc and usb cd player. All flac files are stored in a dlna server and i use flac or streaming services through my phone apps (wiim/Spotify/Amazon). I need to silence the monkey On my shoulder 😅😅😅

one thing i don’t like with current setup is that the amp is triggered by wiim using a Trigger plug (so amp switch is always On), when i use (not so frequent) my turntable ( directly connected to amp) then i need to resume wiim from standby in any case…in that sense i was also thinking if the wiim pro can work as Phono stage
I think it depends on what comes out of the turntable. A phono stage normally takes the tiny signal generated from a TT and amplifies it to a 'normal' level for a preamp input.
i.e. the wiim is not a phono preamp.

I think it depends on what comes out of the turntable. A phono stage normally takes the tiny signal generated from a TT and amplifies it to a 'normal' level for a preamp input.
i.e. the wiim is not a phono preamp.
Yeah, and doesn't a phono pre-amp apply riaa equalisation which the WiiM wouldn't?

Edit: So I'd guess you'd need something like this between the deck and the WiiM

So in the end…a Phono stage is needed in between the tt and wiim. My setup is a mess 😂😂😂😂😂

What is the turntable plugged into at the moment? Surely not the smsl a300, which is a power amp, and doesn't have a phono stage.
Edit - seems it's not a power amp in the sense I was thinking; it has a volume control.

What is the turntable plugged into at the moment? Surely not the smsl a300, which is a power amp, and doesn't have a phono stage.
Edit - seems it's not a power amp in the sense I was thinking; it has a volume control.
Currently it is a dummy one with builtin speakers and bt (and phono includer) but i am planning to replace with an old technics i have in my parents house (sl-q212) and it needs the Phono stage as currently it is connected to Phono input of a technics su-z45

Back