Wiim Pro - static coming through via ethernet connect to external DAC

northernbreed

Hi - I just experienced my first and only problem so far with my new Wiim Pro. I seemed to be working flawlessly for several days now.

Configuration: Wiim Pro directly attached to router via Ethernet, using Qobuz streaming (native Wiim app support), coax output to a Benchmark DAC3, then onward to a Benchmark HPA2 preamp and dual mono AHB2 amp stack. This system has performed flawlessly for several years with a Bluesound NODE 2 streamer, which recently died. I replaced it with a Wiim Pro. Seemed to be working very well for several days.

This morning, I noticed that I was hearing static coming through with numerous hi-res Qobuz tracks. I also noticed the 24-bit input status indicator on the Benchmark DAC3 was now intermittently flashing because of the static. Checked all of the usual connections, etc. - all good.

As an experiment, I thought I'd see if the replacement Bluesound NODE streamer that Bluesound sent me (for free, surprised) showed the same behavior. And it doesn't - all audio from the NODE is static-free and clear as expected. No intermittent flashing for the 24-bit input light on the DAC3. In other words, perfect streaming and audio, as I'd expect.

This could indicate that the issue is with the 5 day old Wiim Pro. Thoughts? I appreciate any help or suggestions you may have. I can easily return the Wiim to Amazon, but thought it was a very nice alternative to the Bluesound NODE, and was prepared to continue with it and sell the new NODE.

Thanks again!

A grounding issue? What happens if the WiiM is switched over to the WiFi and the Ethernet cable removed?
The issue completely disappeared when I switched over to WiFi. Seems like it took me a while to get the Wiim to connect to WiFi, but when it did it worked quite well. Our newest router handled the hi-res bandwidth no problem. Not sure why I don't hear the static pops when using the Bluesound NODE via Ethernet.

Finding that when I unplug the Wiim, I'm having difficulty re-establishing the WiFi connection, but I suspect that I can figure that one out by reading some info here. Thanks!

It sounds like your DAC could have temporarily been losing sync on the S/PDIF, which in turn might have been caused by ground spikes on the coax. Perhaps something was getting into the WiiM via the Ethernet and then going to ground at the DAC? The WiiM itself has no grounding.

Maybe switching to optical connection would help, but it does seem @ratty has a valid point as wifi works fine.
Better to cure the cause than mask the symptom. Maybe you need to buy an expensive ethernet cable ;)
Or a new router...

Or ground the WiiM directly.

FWIW that DAC appears to only go to 96kHz on the optical, and in any case optical is regarded as sacrilegious in some circles. ;)

Back