Gapless mode (setNextURI) issues for UPnP interface

Take it from the right point of view ;) :

I will do visit here from time to time to see if Wiim support is taking care of this problem that has impact on 90% of the users.

In the mean time I'm writting an article abput Wiim for my Hifi blog, and for the few thousand users of the Hifi forum that i'm admin of.
Where do you get your figure of 90% from? I'd imagine a lot of WiiM users use Qobuz, Tidal, Amazon Music etc, and not all of them would use or care about specific UPNP related issues. I'm not saying that WiiM shouldn't address these issues, just that 90% is a very large number to pluck out of the air to apply to the specific issues discussed in this thread.

Anyway, I'm confident that the WiiM engineers will apply themselves to these issues - after all, hasn't the Symfonium dev admitted that UPNP is a "sh*tty protocol" and that testing takes time and cooperation from the users too? Lets hope the dev can devote the time to help WiiM resolve them ;)

Finally, which blog and forum? Might be worth a read :)

Cheers

Last edited:
@WiiM Support

Gapless mode seems to behave unpredictable for both WiiMs especially when audio streams are controlled by UPnP bridge plugin in LMS.
Author of the plugin suspects that

"The issue is that the UPnP stack of the WIIM (I don't have one) seems to be a very precarious. For example, per discussion with @d6dg it refuses (sometimes) to process a "next URI" command 20 seconds before the current track ends. I guess something like that they have some internal buffers or process (decode) that when emptied or terminated, sets the machine in a state where it cannot process "next URI"."

Can you please look at this issue to find out if it could be somehow fixed?
Hi Onlyoneme, Team

We just fixed "setNextURI" and metadata refresh issues in the gapless playback. If you want to help test it as a Beta user, please send us feedback so we can whitelist your devices today. Thank you again for helping us with these issues.

Hi Onlyoneme, Team

We just fixed "setNextURI" and metadata refresh issues in the gapless playback. If you want to help test it as a Beta user, please send us feedback so we can whitelist your devices today. Thank you again for helping us with these issues.
Ok, I send a PM.

Even though I had trouble getting off the last beta I was pushed onto this new one, and from my initial testing it looks to be an epic release!

From my limited testing with MinimServer and BubbleUPnP
  • The period in the name is fixed
  • I can now play tracks of 5 seconds in length gaplessly (previous limit was ~35 seconds before gaps appeared)
  • During the "album" consisting of 5 second tracks the metadata in the WHA was refreshing
Lots more scenarios to test but looking very impressive so far.

I hope/assume it's ok to put these beta comments on the forum? Obviously if they hadn't been as positive I would have just fed them back through the other channels.

Congrats so far @WiiM Support , @WiiM Team

Even though I had trouble getting off the last beta I was pushed onto this new one, and from my initial testing it looks to be an epic release!

• I can now play tracks of 5 seconds in length gaplessly (previous limit was ~35 seconds before gaps appeared)
  • During the "album" consisting of 5 second tracks the metadata in the WHA was refreshing

I hope/assume it's ok to put these beta comments on the forum? Obviously if they hadn't been as positive I would have just fed them back through the other channels.

Yes, it looks really good to me as well. Just one small issue I've reported to the support.

Last edited:

Yeah, period issue sorted for me too. Hopefully the multi disc issue will get resolved soon too, although from a very quick look this morning in bed before I got up, not sure if bubbleupnp/minimserver have an issue themselves with that - when I browsed a 2cd set, it tells me the first disc is empty. As I say, I need to have another better test, but perhaps this isn't the forum to progress that.

Hi Simbun, Brantome, onlyoneme, Team

Thank you very much for your help with the Beta test of these DLNA issues.

One remaining issue related to the track order needs to be fixed on the WiiM Home App. We'll release the App fix around 5/15. I hope the fixes provide better compatibility with third-party DLNA media servers. Our team highly appreciates the support received from the community. Thank you!

Hopefully the multi disc issue will get resolved soon too, although from a very quick look this morning in bed before I got up, not sure if bubbleupnp/minimserver have an issue themselves with that - when I browsed a 2cd set, it tells me the first disc is empty.
I just set the "showAllDiscs=true" option (I usually just have disc subtitles displayed where applicable) and it seems to be working for me, I do however only have FLAC and use DISCNUMBER and DISCTOTAL tags, so not a very extensive test.
Happy to test a scenario for you offline if you'd like?

I just set the "showAllDiscs=true" option (I usually just have disc subtitles displayed where applicable) and it seems to be working for me, I do however only have FLAC and use DISCNUMBER and DISCTOTAL tags, so not a very extensive test.
Happy to test a scenario for you offline if you'd like?
Thanks, I'll get on to it in a day or so - real life getting in the way today ;)

I have the beta firmware on my Mini now - 4.6.516229 - and using in conjunction with LMS UPnP/DLNA Bridge v2.2.1

The bridge is configured to simply pass the stream from LMS to the WiiM with no alteration at a max sample rate of 96,000 to match the optical input on my CD Receiver. I have made some very limited tests in the time available but so far gapless playback of local FLAC has been fine - DSOTM has played straight through. I will let LMS's Don't Stop The Music do its stuff over the course of the day which will throw a mix of stuff from various sources at various bit rates and will report back.

WiiM Mini firmware 4.6.516229 - LMS UPnP/DLNA Bridge v2.2.1

An hour and a half in and this is looking very promising. Don't Stop The Music has thrown up various 16/44.1, 24/96 and 24/192 tracks both from my own library and from Qobuz. I haven't had anything miss a beat yet. Stuff coming from Qobuz at 24/192 is being correctly downsampled by LMS to 24/96 before passthrough to the WiiM. Gapless where appropriate and short track handling has been correct.

While it is of no consequence to me as I am controlling via LMS/Material I have kept an eye of the metadata sent to the WiiM app by the UPnP/DLNA Bridge. It has updated correctly with one very very minor exception - kbps seems to be stuck and is displaying the data from the first track played. My ears tell me that what is actually reaching my DAC is correct.

An hour and a half in and this is looking very promising. Don't Stop The Music has thrown up various 16/44.1, 24/96 and 24/192 tracks both from my own library and from Qobuz. I haven't had anything miss a beat yet. Stuff coming from Qobuz at 24/192 is being correctly downsampled by LMS to 24/96 before passthrough to the WiiM. Gapless where appropriate and short track handling has been correct.

While it is of no consequence to me as I am controlling via LMS/Material I have kept an eye of the metadata sent to the WiiM app by the UPnP/DLNA Bridge. It has updated correctly with one very very minor exception - kbps seems to be stuck and is displaying the data from the first track played. My ears tell me that what is actually reaching my DAC is correct.
Can you try to mix wavs and flacs in the same playlist if you didn't test that yet?
Kbps is always 524 kbps in my case for flacs.

Hi d6jg,

Thanks for your tests. Our Eng. team will look at the bitrate issue and help fix it shortly. Thank you!

Back