Gapless mode (setNextURI) issues for UPnP interface

I had a silly feedback response on the subject telling me I have a lot of files at the same 524 kbps! Made me wonder if the Bridge was indeed doing something.

EDIT.
My system just threw an M4A into the mix. There is no kbps display at all in the app for this - it is hidden.
You will see the same 524 kbps when using WiiM Home app instead of LMS.

Well unless my aged ears are well and truly fooked what is being played is definitely not all 524.3 kbps. As I am using LMS to me it doesn't really matter what the app says or what is logged. The "mix" gapless issue is a bit of an edge case as in reality it isn't likely to occur.
WiiM are getting closer which is a good thing.

Well unless my aged ears are well and truly fooked what is being played is definitely not all 524.3 kbps. As I am using LMS to me it doesn't really matter what the app says or what is logged. The "mix" gapless issue is a bit of an edge case as in reality it isn't likely to occur.
WiiM are getting closer which is a good thing.
None of these issues is critical. Maybe the "524 bug" is related to the way LMS/bridge processes flac headers and WiiM cannot calculate the bitrate correctly.
BTW, is seeking working for you? For me it advances to the next song.

None of these issues is critical. Maybe the "524 bug" is related to the way LMS/bridge processes flac headers and WiiM cannot calculate the bitrate correctly.
BTW, is seeking working for you? For me it advances to the next song.
I haven’t tried seeking as frankly I never use it

Me neither but I've clicked by accident and realized it advanced to the another song instead.

I had a silly feedback response on the subject telling me I have a lot of files at the same 524 kbps! Made me wonder if the Bridge was indeed doing something.

EDIT.
My system just threw an M4A into the mix. There is no kbps display at all in the app for this - it is hidden.
Hi d6jg,

Instead of putting "silly" in front of our feedback response, please try a different media server that doesn't do any transcoding. Or, you can share some of non-524kbps FLAC files so we can reproduce it in our lab.

From your feedback log, the FLAC we received is indeed 524 kbps. We don't make it up. Hope it clarifies! Thank you!

Hi d6jg,

Instead of putting "silly" in front of our feedback response, please try a different media server that doesn't do any transcoding. Or, you can share some of non-524kbps FLAC files so we can reproduce it in our lab.

From your feedback log, the FLAC we received is indeed 524 kbps. We don't make it up. Hope it clarifies! Thank you!
Aside from the unnecessary emotional bits of the statements, other things are true - the bitrate of any flac content shown is 524 kbps when played via LMS/bridge. It happens also for files I had provided here and during our conversation. I suspect this is somehow related to the flac header manipulation that takes place in the LMS bridge. Did you try to reproduce it in your lab? Or can you provide any details about the way the bitrate is calculated to let us share it with the LMS bridge dev?

Hi d6jg,

I considered the response to be silly because you told me that all of the items I was playing were at 524.3 kbps when I had already inferred that they weren't in my initial feedback.

Since you had specifically asked me to test the beta firmware against LMS/UPnP Bridge it clearly was either a calculation and resultant display issue your side or something in the Bridge. I am not going to try another media server as LMS is far superior to anything else I have ever tried.

Edit.
My ears agree with onlyoneme. The log extract showed 20 odd tracks at 524.3 kbps I cannot see (hear) how that could really be the case as they were from various sources. The only common factor being that they were all FLACs. As onlyoneme suggests I suspect something in the FLAC header sent from the LMS Bridge.
NB when I set transcoding to pcm all tracks showed as 1411 kbps.

I've tried with a couple of better setups ;) (MinimServer/BubbleUPnP and AssetUPnP/mconnect) and the bitrate shown for FLAC files in the WiiM app agrees with what I see in the controllers and foobar2000, so it's either an edge case or the UPnP Bridge problem.

The repeated switching between controllers did cause issues though, and when trying Hi-Fi Cast the WHA didn't update its metadata, but that's something I'll try and narrow down this end first.

I've tried with a couple of better setups ;) (MinimServer/BubbleUPnP and AssetUPnP/mconnect) and the bitrate shown for FLAC files in the WiiM app agrees with what I see in the controllers and foobar2000, so it's either an edge case or the UPnP Bridge problem.

The repeated switching between controllers did cause issues though, and when trying Hi-Fi Cast the WHA didn't update its metadata, but that's something I'll try and narrow down this end first.
Can you verify the seeking/next track/prev track behavior using those upnp servers and controllers? I'm facing issues when performing such actions in LMS, especially for flacs.

Can you verify the seeking/next track/prev track behavior using those upnp servers and controllers? I'm facing issues when performing such actions in LMS, especially for flacs.
I've just tried a handful of FLAC 16/44 tracks with BubbleUPnP/AssetUPnP and Hi-Fi Cast/MinimServer and they both work fine.
Interestingly, I just pointed BubbleUPnP to LMS playing to the WiiM and it produces 'Invalid MIM-type or resource not find (code: 714)'! Will need to take another look at that although the same track plays fine to the local renderer of BubbleUPnP.

EDIT: Tracks from LMS via BubbleUPnP play fine to Sonos too, so it might be worth verifying your end.
LMS is serving up an flc file, that might be what the WiiM is baulking at as I know WiiM use the file extension for something. Not sure I've ever tried LMS to WiiM via BubbleUPnP...

Last edited:
I considered the response to be silly because you told me that all of the items I was playing were at 524.3 kbps when I had already inferred that they weren't in my initial feedback.

Since you had specifically asked me to test the beta firmware against LMS/UPnP Bridge it clearly was either a calculation and resultant display issue your side or something in the Bridge. I am not going to try another media server as LMS is far superior to anything else I have ever tried.

Edit.
My ears agree with onlyoneme. The log extract showed 20 odd tracks at 524.3 kbps I cannot see (hear) how that could really be the case as they were from various sources. The only common factor being that they were all FLACs. As onlyoneme suggests I suspect something in the FLAC header sent from the LMS Bridge.
NB when I set transcoding to pcm all tracks showed as 1411 kbps.
Hi d6jg, Team

Please don't take it personally. The truth is both we and LMS are "silly".

LMS uses the HTTP chunk transfer, so the header has no content length information. It's a bad decision for a media server (you have all the file length information, unlike live broadcasting, so why use the chunked HTTP). Thus, it's impossible for our player to calculate the bitrate. However, there's a dummy bitrate filled for this case. We'll remove the bitrate information for this case since it's inaccurate. Thank you all for helping to point this out.

I've just tried a handful of FLAC 16/44 tracks with BubbleUPnP/AssetUPnP and Hi-Fi Cast/MinimServer and they both work fine.
Interestingly, I just pointed BubbleUPnP to LMS playing to the WiiM and it produces 'Invalid MIM-type or resource not find (code: 714)'! Will need to take another look at that although the same track plays fine to the local renderer of BubbleUPnP.

EDIT: Tracks from LMS via BubbleUPnP play fine to Sonos too, so it might be worth verifying your end.
Just did a quick check of that too using bubbleupnp client and minimserver and get the same error, but if I play to the Openhome version of the WiiM Pro that BubbleUPNP server presents, it plays ok from both BubbleUPNP and my Linn app.

Hi d6jg, Team

Please don't take it personally. The truth is both we and LMS are "silly".

LMS uses the HTTP chunk transfer, so the header has no content length information. It's a bad decision for a media server (you have all the file length information, unlike live broadcasting, so why use the chunked HTTP). Thus, it's impossible for our player to calculate the bitrate. However, there's a dummy bitrate filled for this case. We'll remove the bitrate information for this case since it's inaccurate. Thank you all for helping to point this out.
Glad you have sorted.
I think I am right in saying that the LMS Bridge uses chunked as its default because as well as making a UPnP player capable of streaming local content it also exposes ANY content that LMS can deliver e.g. Qobuz, Tidal, Spotify, Deezer, BBC Sounds, Radio Paradise, Internet Radio, Podcasts etc etc.
"chunked" is the default but not the only option.

LMS is serving up an flc file, that might be what the WiiM is baulking at as I know WiiM use the file extension for something. Not sure I've ever tried LMS to WiiM via BubbleUPnP...
Hi Simbun,

Please kindly send us feedback from the WiiM Home App so we can troubleshoot this quickly. Thank you again for your help.

Just did a quick check of that too using bubbleupnp client and minimserver and get the same error, but if I play to the Openhome version of the WiiM Pro that BubbleUPNP server presents, it plays ok from both BubbleUPNP and my Linn app.
Did you mean to say LMS?

Yeah, sorry, LMS - I’ll try it afresh and take my time second time round ;)
Also, were you proxying LMS rather than the WiiM? I assume that's what you meant as the other way around doesn't work for me.
Proxying LMS changes the URL that's delivered to the WiiM.

Back