In Heaven. I've never heard my music sound this incredible!

Looks like a Willsenton R8 on the mantle? And I Love the Zu's! DW6 Supremes here, triple black. Listening to them right now through the WiiM Pro, PS Audio DAC and Cayin EL84 tube amp... Also using a 1970 Sansui 4000 receiver... These WiiM units are the BOMB! I have owned a few streamers, and the WiiM is the best so far in regards to overall usability and sound quality. And I agree, the digital coax sounds the best out of the WiiM Pro. I had an i2s streamer in here, the digital coax simply sounds better to my ear. Oh, pick up a linear power supply for your WiiM, they do make a difference. I use an LHY 5v unit.

Looks like a Willsenton R8 on the mantle? And I Love the Zu's! DW6 Supremes here, triple black. Listening to them right now through the WiiM Pro, PS Audio DAC and Cayin EL84 tube amp... Also using a 1970 Sansui 4000 receiver... These WiiM units are the BOMB! I have owned a few streamers, and the WiiM is the best so far in regards to overall usability and sound quality. And I agree, the digital coax sounds the best out of the WiiM Pro. I had an i2s streamer in here, the digital coax simply sounds better to my ear. Oh, pick up a linear power supply for your WiiM, they do make a difference. I use an LHY 5v unit.
Yup, that's a Willsenton R8 with upgraded tubes, capacitors, and a few other mods. Sounds amazing with my Zu DW2's, WiiM Pro, and DacMagic 200M, although I want to upgrade my DAC. My MoFi Ultradeck sounds incredible too when spinning records. I'll look into a power supply for my WiiM. I have tried powering it via a rechargeable battery and I can hear a difference for the better.

Yup, that's a Willsenton R8 with upgraded tubes, capacitors, and a few other mods. Sounds amazing with my Zu DW2's, WiiM Pro, and DacMagic 200M, although I want to upgrade my DAC. My MoFi Ultradeck sounds incredible too when spinning records. I'll look into a power supply for my WiiM. I have tried powering it via a rechargeable battery and I can hear a difference for the better.
Cool! PS Audio has that Stellar Gaincell DAC/Preamp on sale right now, 50% off, or they're about. I would give that a serious look, it replaced my Venus II 12th that I swore I would never get rid of. It pairs incredibly well with my Zu's, a buddy of mine turned me onto the Gaincell. I am listening to mine right now, with the WiiM Pro on the little Cayin EL84. I just rolled some Gold Lions into her, and she is sounding good. And the MoFi deck, I have one too. Great minds think alike. ;-)

The mods you did to the R8, were those the Skunkie mods?

Last edited:
Cool! PS Audio has that Stellar Gaincell DAC/Preamp on sale right now, 50% off, or they're about. I would give that a serious look, it replaced my Venus II 12th that I swore I would never get rid of. It pairs incredibly well with my Zu's, a buddy of mine turned me onto the Gaincell. I am listening to mine right now, with the WiiM Pro on the little Cayin EL84. I just rolled some Gold Lions into her, and she is sounding good. And the MoFi deck, I have one too. Great minds think alike. ;-)

The mods you did to the R8, were those the Skunkie mods?
That's a tempting deal on the Stellar GainCell! I'll have to read some reviews. I've had my eye on the Gustard A26, or maybe their R26 - I haven't decided which yet. I can buy it outright now, but I just bought the R8 about four months ago, my WiiM recently, and my DacMagic is only a little over 1.5 years old. Because of all that, my fiancé gave me a hard time about wanting a $1400+ DAC when ours sounds "just fine," so I'm trying to wait a little bit longer for things to cool down. 😂 The Mofi deck is great. I've got a Hana ML on her, and WOW!

Yes, the mods I did are Skunkie mods, though I didn't do them all. I upgraded the important capacitors, split the front tube to feed each channel independently, upgraded the choke, and upgraded the resistors that feed signal to the biasing meter to much higher tolerance ones (0.1%). I've got a couple of resistors and mica capacitors on their way to me now so I can upgrade the GNFB.

I've upgraded all of the tubes, but since you mentioned Gold Lions, I put their KT77's in my R8, and they are really great!

That's a tempting deal on the Stellar GainCell! I'll have to read some reviews. I've had my eye on the Gustard A26, or maybe their R26 - I haven't decided which yet. I can buy it outright now, but I just bought the R8 about four months ago, my WiiM recently, and my DacMagic is only a little over 1.5 years old. Because of all that, my fiancé gave me a hard time about wanting a $1400+ DAC when ours sounds "just fine," so I'm trying to wait a little bit longer for things to cool down. 😂 The Mofi deck is great. I've got a Hana ML on her, and WOW!

Yes, the mods I did are Skunkie mods, though I didn't do them all. I upgraded the important capacitors, split the front tube to feed each channel independently, upgraded the choke, and upgraded the resistors that feed signal to the biasing meter to much higher tolerance ones (0.1%). I've got a couple of resistors and mica capacitors on their way to me now so I can upgrade the GNFB.

I've upgraded all of the tubes, but since you mentioned Gold Lions, I put their KT77's in my R8, and they are really great!
Give that Gaincell a serious look, it almost seems it was built specifically for our Zu's... My buddy turned me on to it, he is a Zu fan and has been in the audio racket since the 70's. His house looks like a high end audio store. He is big into tubes, and had more than a few tube amps on roller dollies. He also recommended the R8 as a good starter unit. It is on my list. Taking his advice on the Gaincell was a no brainer, the man knows his stuff.

And, I just rolled those Gold Lions in to the little Cayin, I heard an immediate difference in SQ vs the stock Cayin tubes. I cannot wait for these to settle in. So far, very happy with this little Cayin.

Back