stuttering sound from speakers

Hollywood

Major Contributor
I am sure that this gadget doesn't draw anything like 30 amps of course, but a robust power supply makes a big difference.
I was going to reply on @buybeach thread, but didn't want to hijack it.

Proper power supplies DO make a difference. When I first started with WiiMs, I had a boom box in my bathroom and connected a Mini to the USB on the boom box for power. It sounded terrible! I then used the original adapter and it worked fine.

I have (had) 6 WiiM pros and I just moved one to try with some Adam powered speakers. I didn't want to disconnect everything from the original location, so I used another USB cable and charger. There was rumbling, hiss, and poor sound. I then grabbed the original adapter and the sound was crystal clear. I just bought a 7th WiiM Pro to make it permanent.

Recently I have been hearing a stuttering sound from the towers and sub on my main stereo, even when not using it. The stuttering is separate from the music, it is there if the music is playing or not. It is hard to track down, but I see several forum members have posted here about the same thing (use search "stutter").

My system is WiiM Pro, optical to miniDSP SHD (as my control preamp), 1 coax (digital) out to a cheap Fiio DAC for the powered SVS sub, and 1 coax out to a Schitt modi+ DAC and Odyssey power amp.

The stuttering was noticeable, and I tried eliminating sources. Of all the troubleshooting, moving the Schitt power adapter from the power strip to another outlet seemed to quiet the stutter a little, but it was still there. Swapping the 2 DACs, the towers did not have the stuttering with the cheap FiiO DAC.

My feeling is that none of the hardware is bad, but there is some incompatible digital signal between the 3 digital devices. I can get all 3 digital devices to work properly, but can't get rid of the stuttering when connected together.

Anyone have a similar experience and solution? I read some users started having the stuttering after a firmware update.

Getting back to @buybeach post, are there better power supplies to use that are not super expensive, What would we be looking for, filtering, ground isolation, etc?

Thanks!

Back