Is your Chromecast reliable?

anli

Hi,

I have connected WiiM Pro to LAN via rj45. The only way I use it as a Chromecast device (and then WiiM Pro is connected to DAC with tosslink). I have tried both Android phones and tablets as well as iPhone and iPad, as well as different players and streaming services. At all cases the first connection is rather quick (2-4 second), but then it could take up to, say, 10 or 15 second on song navigation or skipping to next. Also stuttering and such take place (especially at the playing back beginning).

Are all these troubles just Chromecast protocol properties? Or is something wrong with my WiiM Pro?

I start to think about changing WiiM Pro to something else (probably more dedicated in terms of Chromecast). Official Chromecase device is not suitable as far as it is impossible ot connect it ot DAC, having coaxial, optical and USB inputs (not saying about BT).

What is your experience? Advices?

Addition: say, AirPlay is much faster on operations and doesn't result on any stuttering.

Last edited:
Could you check if there is any difference (temporarily)I was going to say that too.

I was going to say that too.
In any case, I have the impression that there is a problem with the network.

@anli ,
There is almost no delay on my WiiM pro Chromecast. What happens if you turn "DNS server" or "IPv6" on/off in the network status of the WiiM Home app?

Have you tried using UPnP instead of Chromecast (to rule out a protocol issue)?
I believe Neutron can play to UPnP renderers.

Last edited:
Have you tried using UPnP instead of Chromecast (to rule out a protocol issue)?
I believe Neutron can play to UPnP renderers.
Not remember with Android, but on iPad it does appear in the output devices list, but it happens usually much later in comparison with Chromecast and isn't better in any case.

And again, with AirPlay overall using is much smoother. Unfortunately I haven't any other Chromecast device to compare behaviour.

Not remember with Android, but on iPad it does appear in the output devices list, but it happens usually much later in comparison with Chromecast and isn't better in any case.
For me, Chromecast and UPnP have roughly a 2 second delay when skipping tracks, that's with playing a track from a DLNA server. Did you try this with Neutron? Could you try mconnect as it looks like Neutron might be processing the stream.
This is definitely not a problem with the protocol.

And again, with AirPlay overall using is much smoother. Unfortunately I haven't any other Chromecast device to compare behaviour.
With AirPlay, WiiM is pulling data from the phone unlike UPnP and Chromecast where it's pulling from the server (unless the app is processing the track).

Last edited:
I've got two Chromcast and one Wiim pro plus on my wifi network. I've grouped them together, playing from my Synology DS1821+ NAS with minimserver, using Bubble UPnP to control the renders. I would say it's rock solid, the sync is perfect and there's absolutly no hassle.
I'ts totaly outperform my Auralic Aries G2/mini system when it comes to multiroom.

Back