Just tried out Plexamp

dssme

Major Contributor
So Plexamp is now available for free after being part of the "Plex Pass" kit before

So I got a minpc that runs an n95 with 16GB RAM & a 500 GB NVME, not that fastest machine but very low energy

I finished up the win 11 setup and decided to try out a couple server apps before I finalize a 2nd install for headless use

I put a couple USB drives on it with music and movies on them, installed Plex Server, Plexamp & also an LMS instance

I ran the LMS first and it gathered metadata on the music files, then I ran the Plex Server, and only put the music in so far and noticed it was much slower gathering the metadata but comes with that fancier interface that some users might prefer (not me)

So I just wanted to mention that once you set the DLNA on inside Plex Server, Wiim can easily run it's own interface with those files on that particular hard drive (something LMS can also do with it's UPNP/DLNA plugin)

So, again, just FYI

So Plexamp is now available for free after being part of the "Plex Pass" kit before

So I got a minpc that runs an n95 with 16GB RAM & a 500 GB NVME, not that fastest machine but very low energy

I finished up the win 11 setup and decided to try out a couple server apps before I finalize a 2nd install for headless use

I put a couple USB drives on it with music and movies on them, installed Plex Server, Plexamp & also an LMS instance

I ran the LMS first and it gathered metadata on the music files, then I ran the Plex Server, and only put the music in so far and noticed it was much slower gathering the metadata but comes with that fancier interface that some users might prefer (not me)

So I just wanted to mention that once you set the DLNA on inside Plex Server, Wiim can easily run it's own interface with those files on that particular hard drive (something LMS can also do with it's UPNP/DLNA plugin)

So, again, just FYI
well...I don't know

Bit bloated, but runs better on this modern hardware

I think I am telling everybody to take a look for themselves

1692135753577.png

The functionality that Plexamp users want is for the Wiim to show up as a Plexamp player. This would allow the use of the radio, sweet fades, and sonic sage features.
Indeed. Being able to use Wii Amp as Plexamp player would be great. Plexamp is a very well built player, nice looking and fully integrated with Plex

The functionality that Plexamp users want is for the Wiim to show up as a Plexamp player. This would allow the use of the radio, sweet fades, and sonic sage features.
Sweet fades and sonic sage (whatever they really are) still require a PlexPass. The versions of Plexamp that could conceivably be added to the WiiM firmware is either the Linux one or the one for Raspberry Pi (Pi also requires PlexPass) - https://www.plex.tv/plexamp/#downloads

That said I am starting to use Plexamp as it is CarPlay friendly even though I'm an LMS person. Unfortunately iPeng (the de-facto LMS iOS player app) doesn't support CarPlay. I'm only using it in the car though. If I am out walking the dog for example I am using iPeng (in conjunction with Tailscale).

I have all my music files stored on a NAS so to get Plexamp running all I have done is spin up a Centos VM and install Plex Media Server onto it and point it at the NAS. This means that the WHA can now see the Plex server's DLNA interface. It isn't very good and TBH I can't see how it can be improved greatly.

It would be sensible if WiiM actually advised what they intend to do with Plex. Just making the DLNA interface work better isn't going to appease many people I wouldn't think.

I'll stick with LMS thanks.

You’re free to do want you want. I’d still like to have Plexamp show up as a player.

Sweet fades and sonic sage (whatever they really are) still require a PlexPass. The versions of Plexamp that could conceivably be added to the WiiM firmware is either the Linux one or the one for Raspberry Pi (Pi also requires PlexPass) - https://www.plex.tv/plexamp/#downloads

That said I am starting to use Plexamp as it is CarPlay friendly even though I'm an LMS person. Unfortunately iPeng (the de-facto LMS iOS player app) doesn't support CarPlay. I'm only using it in the car though. If I am out walking the dog for example I am using iPeng (in conjunction with Tailscale).

I have all my music files stored on a NAS so to get Plexamp running all I have done is spin up a Centos VM and install Plex Media Server onto it and point it at the NAS. This means that the WHA can now see the Plex server's DLNA interface. It isn't very good and TBH I can't see how it can be improved greatly.

It would be sensible if WiiM actually advised what they intend to do with Plex. Just making the DLNA interface work better isn't going to appease many people I wouldn't think.

I'll stick with LMS thanks.
I use Plexamp basically the same way, in the car and on mobile if I'm away from the house. otherwise I'm using LMS 99% of the time. I haven't tried using tailscale yet.

You’re free to do want you want. I’d still like to have Plexamp show up as a player.
I wasn't saying that what you want isn't worthwhile. I just think WiiM need to say what their plans are (I'm told they have some for Plex).
Just to clarify. Do you want the WiiM Pro/Pro+/Amp to have Plexamp capability or are you wanting the WHA to see your existing Plexamp players?

I agree, the Wiim as a player for Plexamp would be ideal. I probably wouldn't use it but I can see others using it as there primary. I think Plex and Plexamp are pretty good.

Now this is cool. I picked up a beelink ser6 max to play with. Runs win 11 pro plus my debian install via virtual box. Will have to give this a go.

I use Plexamp basically the same way, in the car and on mobile if I'm away from the house. otherwise I'm using LMS 99% of the time. I haven't tried using tailscale yet.
It was a comment from you that made me re-examine Plexamp and when I looked I saw the CarPlay element.

I agree, the Wiim as a player for Plexamp would be ideal. I probably wouldn't use it but I can see others using it as there primary. I think Plex and Plexamp are pretty good.
Indeed. It is a nice player, WiiM devices seen as Plexamp player would be great.

Adding support for Wiim to show as PlexAmp client would be a real coup as not many out there apart from Lumin it using a Raspberry pi or phone/tabelt. Its interface is the next best after Roon and it has some great features. Been a PlexPass customer for many years as use it for video all the time and use it all the time on the go for music as it’s a great and robust client unlike Roons ARC. But at home as it’s not as easy to get it into Hifi unless you use Airplay or Chromecast or a pi. I am sure it would also boost PlexAmps take up. Maybe a partnership would be good.

Back