Issues with switching sources

Rockstar2020

Hi,
I have a WiiM mini connected via Optical Out to an Onkyo receiver.
The audio input is WiFi and below are the music sources I often use:
1. Tidal Connect.
2. Amazon Music/Alexa with Plex Skill.
3. DLNA playing via BubbleUPnP with Plex as DLNA source. Hopefully when Plexamp integration is launched I will stop using DLNA. :)

Also, I created a group on Alexa app where WiiM mini is the speaker of the group. So basically I can ask Alexa to play any music from my Plex server using Plex skill on Alexa.

I have discovered a bug when switching from one source to another and below is how you can re-produce the issue:
1. Play an album or a playlist from the DLNA source to WiiM mini. You can use any DLNA player app but I'm using BubbleUPnP android app coupled with BubbleUPnP server running on Ubuntu 22.04.
2. After playing few tracks from DLNA source, pause and then ask Alexa to play any music/playlist from Plex or Amazon Music which will obviously play on WiiM mini because that's the speaker set in the group.
3. At this stage when I open my DLNA player app (ie BubbleUPnP) I can see the track progress as if it is playing from DLNA while it is from a different source.
4. After playing the first track, the next track is played from what was in the queue from the DLNA playlist, not the next track from the Alexa playlist.
5. Even if I pause the track, it instantly plays the next track that's waiting to be played on the DLNA playlist. Clearing the playlist from BubbleUPnP doesn't help.

Above issue also happens in reverse, meaning if you start playing from Alexa source and then switch to DLNA, WiiM mini still plays the next track from what's in the queue to be played from the Alexa source.

The way I could rectify this issue for the time being is to use WiiM API and send the Stop command which I think kind of clears the playing queue on WiiM.
Additionally, on BubbleUPnP Server I created an OpenHome renderer which points to WiiM mini. This way I'm not playing from my DLNA directly to WiiM, instead via the OpenHome's virtual renderer.
In case you are not familiar with OpenHome protocol, it basically takes care of maintaining playlists of each renderer instead of letting the renderers to manage their own playlists.

Sorry for the long post but this issue is so annoying because in my setup I won't know what's going to play next if I forget to stop WiiM mini via the API call before.

I can think of one possible solution to this but would like to hear from others and specially WiiM support team.
My idea is to have WiiM clear its playlist when it's switched from one source to another.

Thanks

Back