Roadmaps - 10 Feb 24 updates

Brantome

I had asked WiiM a couple of weeks ago if any progress had been made in publishing revised roadmaps. Well, looks like they quietly updated them on 10 Feb 24 as below.

Please note: The dates and features listed below may change or be removed at any time without prior notice. Consequently, purchases should not be based on what is listed on the roadmap.

WiiM Mini

Upcoming Features

• Per-Source EQ: Allows you to set independent EQ for each source input
  • Enhanced Pandora Service
Features We're Actively Working on:
  • Persistent group for multiple devices
  • Smart Buttons: Allow to customize the four preset buttons on the remote
  • Support landscape mode on Android Tablets
  • Support App Widgets on iOS and Android
  • Separate Favorites Tab - The user's favorite tracks, playlists, stations, podcasts, and recently played are listed in the favorites tab.
  • Support SMB for music sharing and streaming
  • Native Plex integration
  • Enhanced 'Play Queue' Management
  • Enhanced Internet Radio
  • Maintain context when switching source input
Features We're Thinking About In Future Updates
  • New music services include YouTube Music, Idagio, SiriusXM, Nugs.net, RadioParadise, etc.
  • Play music from personal cloud storage (Dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud, etc.)
  • Users can select the streaming quality in the "Now Play" app UI
  • Improved NAS and DLNA DMS features

WiiM Pro/ Plus

Upcoming Features

• Fixed resolution output with the high fidelity ASRC
  • DLNA Cast: Cast to other 3rd DLNA devices (Similar to AirPlay Cast but offering lossless audio)
  • 8-band PEQ
  • Room Correction
  • Support landscape mode on Android Tablets
  • Separate Favorites Tab - The user's favorite tracks, playlists, stations, podcasts, and recently played are listed in the favorites tab.
  • KKBox integration
  • Multiroom of hi-res audio
  • New music services include YouTube Music, Idagio, SiriusXM, Nugs.net, RadioParadise, etc.

WiiM Amp

Upcoming Features

• USB Audio Output
  • Fixed resolution output with the high fidelity ASRC
  • DLNA Cast: Cast to other 3rd DLNA devices (Similar to AirPlay Cast but offering lossless audio)
  • Roon Ready
  • 8-band PEQ
  • Room Correction
  • Support landscape mode on the Android Tablets
  • KKBox integration
  • Multiroom of hi-res audio

You’ll note that there are no target dates on any of these, so there’s probably little point in asking when the features will appear but it’s good to see the updates nonetheless. I’m also sure you’ll notice the differences between the device types and that the Mini, due to less CPU power and smaller RAM, will not get all the planned enhancements its more capable siblings will.

Last edited by a moderator:
And not for each channel! 🤣 🤣

It's bound to happen - no matter however many new (and let's remind ourselves, free) features we get, you'll always get complaints it doesn't have someone's pet feature. Human nature I guess...

Τοo many filters cause group delay and phase distortion so sound quality may suffer . The algorithm should be best optimised with the minimum amount of filters. An innovation would be if a database of the anechoic frequency response of various speakers is included so when the algorithm suggests a correction above Schroeder it could be taken to consideration.

Alas you can please some of the people some of the time...
For me any improvement is a good thing. Thing is the size of the app will soon rival that of amazon music...:)

I have a bad feeling when I see the room correction in the same group as the landscape mode. 😂

Unless I’ve missed something, please note.:

Room correction and 8 band PEQ at the top level ‘Features We’re Actively Working On…” on the Pro, Pro Plus and Amp, but dropped completely, even from the bottom level “…Thinking about…” list for the Mini.

That’s good to know in advance of purchase.

EDIT: Actually, in its own way, that’s quite worrying. It’s not top level, is it, that’d be ‘Upcoming Features’. They’ve been working on these for a while (especially the PEQ), and the fact that they still can’t say it’s definitely coming to us doesn’t fill me with confidence.

Ultra it is.

Last edited:
I take “Upcoming features” as fairly imminent, while “..actively working on..” suggests they have started development (whether that be in the design, coding or testing phases), while “..thinking about..” entries are “we might or might not do these“. Just my views with no “insider knowledge” ;)

I’m not surprised really that room correction and 8 band PEQ (and hi res multiroom) aren’t coming to the Mini - I’ve often opined that the littlest member of the WiiM family is at or near capacity, and probably already punching above its weight.

I take “Upcoming features” as fairly imminent, while “..actively working on..” suggests they have started development (whether that be in the design, coding or testing phases), while “..thinking about..” entries are “we might or might not do these“. Just my views with no “insider knowledge” ;)

I’m not surprised really that room correction and 8 band PEQ (and hi res multiroom) aren’t coming to the Mini - I’ve often opined that the littlest member of the WiiM family is at or near capacity, and probably already punching above its weight.

I completely agree.

And I would imagine, I mean I sincerely hope, that whatever obstacles a lack of processing power in the Pro/Plus/Amp has caused in this area have been informative in deciding how much to include in the Ultra.

I hope the latter launches with all of this in place from the outset.

Asynchronous Sample Rate Conversion. I think it’s resampling to a fixed resolution for those external DACs which click between sample rate change, so I guess it might upsample everything to 24/192 for example so the rate stays constant.
If it’s constant, all music will be upsampled and not bit perfect.

If it’s constant, all music will be upsampled and not bit perfect.
True, but maybe that’s a trade off some users will be happy with to avoid the clicks/pops between sample rate changes. Much like the use of EQ/PEQ etc - if it improves your personal listening experience, so what if it doesn’t tick a bit perfect box? Plus my take on bit perfect is that the device doesn’t introduce any unwanted change to the signal, which WiiM devices don’t. If you do want changes, then that’s not breaking the device’s inherent bit perfect nature, just changing the signal in the manner you’ve chosen.

True, but maybe that’s a trade off some users will be happy with to avoid the clicks/pops between sample rate changes. Much like the use of EQ/PEQ etc - if it improves your personal listening experience, so what if it doesn’t tick a bit perfect box? Plus my take on bit perfect is that the device doesn’t introduce any unwanted change to the signal, which WiiM devices don’t. If you do want changes, then that’s not breaking the device’s inherent bit perfect nature, just changing the signal in the manner you’ve chosen.

I guess there would be an upsample switch. Users enable this feature by wish . Correct?

Upsampling algorithms in general require quite a bit of processing power to function correctly . If it is implemented correctly it will actually improve sound quality…

Primare np5 mk2 has this feature …

I guess there would be an upsample switch. Users enable this feature by wish . Correct?

I’d guess so as not all users would need/ want it.

Upsampling algorithms in general require quite a bit of processing power to function correctly . If it is implemented correctly it will actually improve sound quality…

Probably explains why the WiiM Mini won’t be getting this feature.

Edit: I personally/logically wouldn’t expect it to improve the sound, but hopefully it won’t worsen it

Back