A few ideas on how to further improve WiiM Remote user experience

DariuszP

My WiiM Remote has just arrived and I believe that this is absolutely great, must-have add-on to WiiM streamers (unless you are one of those people that do not need a watch as… they have one in the cellphone:)).

However, there are a few things that hopefully WiiM could do (via firmware updates) to further improve this (already very good) product:
a) pressing next / previous track buttons just does what expected (skipping tracks), however no fast forward/backward is currently supported - it could be implemented via long (continous?) presses of those buttons. The remote / WiiM unit are apparently ready to recognize such presses: one of the (undocumented?) functions I have spotted is “back to first song in current queue” that is achieved via first short and then long press on the “previous track” button - VERY handy!
b) the “presets” buttons (1 to 4) are great - these allow to use WiiM principally w/o the phone as you can e.g. program those to play your (currently) preferred albums (or playlists or radiostations, etc). It would be nice if those could support more than four presets, and again - this could be achieved via long presses (e.g. short press on 1 = preset 1, long press on 1 = preset 5) - this way the number of accessible presets would double (and 8 would be perfectly enough for me).
c) “source” button is another very handy feature - you can easily and instantly switch from streaming music to bluetooth connection (and almost automatically start playing your bluetooth sources). Wouldn’t it be nice if you could similarly switch your outputs (e.g. from OPT to Line)? Again: long presses on this button could serve this purpose easily.

Please share your thoughts / ideas on this subject:)

Another idea: long press on Play/Pause button cycles through the presets (i.e. moves to the next preset).

Obviously, there is a risk of confusing useres here, but you could make all those long presses an option (by dafualt: off) in the Remote menu (so there could be a toogle: "Allow long presses to control more functions [on/off]")

re b)
to use all 12 presets there could be:
1,2,3,4 press the respective buttons 1,2,3,4 once
5,6,7,8 " " " " twice
9,10,11,12 " " " " 3 times shortly (e.g. within 1 second).

d)
pressing buttons 1,2,3,4 for long may switch to "setup configurations" (=new feature) 1-4 which include volume, EQ, link configuration, a "preset", input channel etc.

re b)
to use all 12 presets there could be:
1,2,3,4 press the respective buttons 1,2,3,4 once
5,6,7,8 " " " " twice
9,10,11,12 " " " " 3 times shortly (e.g. within 1 second).

d)
pressing buttons 1,2,3,4 for long may switch to "setup configurations" (=new feature) 1-4 which include volume, EQ, link configuration, a "preset", input channel etc.
Dear planetti,
Nice ideas! However those assume that it is possible that the system would recognize "quick presses", which to me seems more problematic (both: technically and UI clarity-wise) than long presses only. I like your idea of "setup configurations" (it is quite similar to what I have in one of my DACs - RME ADI 2) - those I would add as a "cycle" for long press of "mute" button? - this way all buttons would have corresponding long press alternative action (of course except for mic button and vol+ and vol- where such functionality would make no sense).

Technical equivalence for UI:

Shortly pressing remote commands exist for decades in satellite TV receiver remotes for accessing high channel numbers:
button 1 only once for channel 1,
within a short period the button 2 for the channel 12,
within a short period the 3 for channel 123 etc.

It would be simple for the user to learn pressing the same button twice or three times within a time frame/cycle

Since for pairing we have to press on the WiiM remote two buttons for a certain time, I would assume that there already is a time counter implemented.

I would love to have more than 4 presets to my disposal via the remote. Maybe Wiim should manufacture a remote with - for example - 8 preset buttons, the remote would probably be a bit bigger but it must be possible I think.

My WiiM Remote has just arrived and I believe that this is absolutely great, must-have add-on to WiiM streamers (unless you are one of those people that do not need a watch as… they have one in the cellphone:)).

However, there are a few things that hopefully WiiM could do (via firmware updates) to further improve this (already very good) product:
a) pressing next / previous track buttons just does what expected (skipping tracks), however no fast forward/backward is currently supported - it could be implemented via long (continous?) presses of those buttons. The remote / WiiM unit are apparently ready to recognize such presses: one of the (undocumented?) functions I have spotted is “back to first song in current queue” that is achieved via first short and then long press on the “previous track” button - VERY handy!
b) the “presets” buttons (1 to 4) are great - these allow to use WiiM principally w/o the phone as you can e.g. program those to play your (currently) preferred albums (or playlists or radiostations, etc). It would be nice if those could support more than four presets, and again - this could be achieved via long presses (e.g. short press on 1 = preset 1, long press on 1 = preset 5) - this way the number of accessible presets would double (and 8 would be perfectly enough for me).
c) “source” button is another very handy feature - you can easily and instantly switch from streaming music to bluetooth connection (and almost automatically start playing your bluetooth sources). Wouldn’t it be nice if you could similarly switch your outputs (e.g. from OPT to Line)? Again: long presses on this button could serve this purpose easily.

Please share your thoughts / ideas on this subject:)
I really like this remote but a couple of of Q's... The power button makes the LED on the unit go dim or bright NOT red or green? (Standby / On) Is this how it's supposed to be and what do those 2 mean? Then, can buttons 1 - 4 be assigned to EQ presets? And last, is the Type C an input? Can I plug in a type C pendrive? Thanks in advance 😊

Re EQ, the preset buttons can’t be used for that. And what type C input are you asking about? Only the WiiM amp has a USB A input that can support pen drives, the USB C slot on other models is only for power.

Reactions: Apu
There possibly could be a option in the WiiM home app to set the remote to simple or advanced mode. Advanced mode would enable long press, multiple presses on the same button, etc.

Re EQ, the preset buttons can’t be used for that. And what type C input are you asking about? Only the WiiM amp has a USB A input that can support pen drives, the USB C slot on other models is only for power.
Thanks much and yes, you're absolutely right... I'm kinda dyslexic, just took it for granted the power port was Type C 😜 So no USB, no biggie.

I have managed to do without a remote but if WiiM were to implement a firmware upgrade so that if you press the microphone button and say "Make me a cup of tea" someone, my Wife in my case, does just that it would be absolutely brilliant and I'd part with the £18.99 that Amazon UK want for one in an absolute heartbeat!

Even better if she had set up an Alexa routine with that voice trigger and it replied "Get off your backside and do it yourself" 🤣 🤣

Even better if she had set up an Alexa routine with that voice trigger and it replied "Get off your backside and do it yourself" 🤣 🤣
This is straying Off Topic but I was persuaded to stick some Christmas outside lights up at the weekend and they are connected to some Alexa enabled smart plugs. SWMBO created an Alexa routine to switch them on "Merry Christmas" but I was left with the responsibility of creating the Alexa routine that switches them off. "Bah Humbug"

A while back Wiim documented a soon to be available Alexa command to "open preset #" where number is any one of the presets. So, you just press the talk button and give the command for the appropriate preset. Simple to use and no problems with short versus long presses. Unfortunately, the best I can tell they never implemented this command. Implementing this command seems like a simple solution to the preset problem.

I have managed to do without a remote but if WiiM were to implement a firmware upgrade so that if you press the microphone button and say "Make me a cup of tea" someone, my Wife in my case, does just that it would be absolutely brilliant and I'd part with the £18.99 that Amazon UK want for one in an absolute heartbeat!
😂 Seriously, the Alexa button isn't working though I did set it up right... ? But it's a good remote, has all I need...

Don't you mean £180.99? And the Power button and the Alexa button don't work but it's still a good buy as it sounds great. I put off the switch on my "spike buster" and I don't use Alexa, so...

Back