Do voice commands work only when playback is started by a voice command in the first place (vs. preset buttons, or the WiiM app)?

RSF

It seems that any commands that deal with a music service (e.g. "thumbs up", "what's playing?", "next") only work if the music stream was started via Alexa (i.e., if the stream was started by a voice command like "Play [stream] on [Spotify / Tidal / Pandora / etc.]". Those commands don't work if the music stream was started via the WiiM app or a preset button on the Voice Remote.

When I try a Voice Remote voice command like "thumbs up" on a stream that was started within the WiiM app, Alexa says it doesn't understand the command.

The WiiM app shows different icons at the top of its now-playing screen for music started from an Alexa voice command, vs. the WiiM app or a preset (or an API call); in this example, for Pandora:
1706491974223.png vs. 1706492003932.png
... so I'm guessing that the former is actually playing a stream from Alexa as a source, and that allows Alexa to support commands like "thumbs up". Whereas when WiiM is playing Pandora directly, Alexa isn't aware of it, and the voice commands don't work.

Is that all accurate? And ... is there any workaround to get those commands to work on a stream initiated directly in WiiM?

It seems that any commands that deal with a music service (e.g. "thumbs up", "what's playing?", "next") only work if the music stream was started via Alexa (i.e., if the stream was started by a voice command like "Play [stream] on [Spotify / Tidal / Pandora / etc.]". Those commands don't work if the music stream was started via the WiiM app or a preset button on the Voice Remote.

When I try a Voice Remote voice command like "thumbs up" on a stream that was started within the WiiM app, Alexa says it doesn't understand the command.

The WiiM app shows different icons at the top of its now-playing screen for music started from an Alexa voice command, vs. the WiiM app or a preset (or an API call); in this example, for Pandora:
View attachment 4812 vs. View attachment 4813
... so I'm guessing that the former is actually playing a stream from Alexa as a source, and that allows Alexa to support commands like "thumbs up". Whereas when WiiM is playing Pandora directly, Alexa isn't aware of it, and the voice commands don't work.

Is that all accurate? And ... is there any workaround to get those commands to work on a stream initiated directly in WiiM?
[edit]
Sorry, all my suggestions don't seem to work right now. 🤔
--------------------------------

Yes, I think you're right. I've also discussed this in other threads before.

To resolve this issue, you need to add the WiiM device name to the voice command.

Example: "Alexa, play the next song on WiiM."

In this case, you may want to change the WiiM device name in the alexa app (so that Alexa can easily recognize it).

Another suggestion is to use a routine in the Alexa app. Replace voice commands like the ones above with simpler ones. However, this method may be a little difficult because you need to use different voice commands.

Example: Replace "Alexa, play the next song on WiiM" with "Alexa, fast forward."

I think @Brantome knows more about Alexa than I do. 😊

Last edited:

View attachment 4812 vs. View attachment 4813

Voice commands only work on an Alexa initiated or AlexaCast streams. Alexa knows nothing of streams initiated outside of it (indeed it may not even support the service, such as Qobuz) so can’t interact with it by voice or any other manner.

Thanks, @Wiimer and @Brantome, for the quick replies. I figured as much.
It makes the voice part of the voice remote not useful to me (though the buttons, and thus the remote, are still useful, and overall the WiiM system is excellent).

@WiiM Team - It might help others, if someone could at some point update the WiiM FAQ regarding voice commands and WiiM Voice Remote User Manual to clarify this point. People who are familiar with Alexa's operation with 3rd party systems may find this point obvious, but I wasn't, so it took me a while to understand what the remote was and wasn't capable of.

I got this reply from WiiM at the start of the month, so it looks like they are already planning to improve the documentation there

”We're pleased to inform you that we will be updating our FAQ section to include detailed instructions on how to use Alexa Voice for controlling the WiiM remote via an Echo device. This addition is aimed at enhancing your user experience by integrating seamless voice control capabilities.

Furthermore, we're excited to share that the integration of Alexa commands for running Presets is on our development roadmap. This feature is currently in our to-do list, and we are working diligently to bring it to you. Please stay tuned for future updates on this enhancement.”

”We're pleased to inform you that we will be updating our FAQ section to include detailed instructions on how to use Alexa Voice for controlling the WiiM remote via an Echo device. This addition is aimed at enhancing your user experience by integrating seamless voice control capabilities.

This is what I've been trying to figure out too, so a tutorial like this would definitely be appreciated on this end. I use Alexa Voice via multiple Echo Dots, Shows and Fire Tablets (wall mounted) throughout my home to control so many devices and actions at this point, I'm hooked. I would love to be able to directly initiate and control streams to my WiiM Amp via the Alexa Voice network in my home! But I can't figure out how to do it on my own.

This is what I've been trying to figure out too, so a tutorial like this would definitely be appreciated on this end. I use Alexa Voice via multiple Echo Dots, Shows and Fire Tablets (wall mounted) throughout my home to control so many devices and actions at this point, I'm hooked. I would love to be able to directly initiate and control streams to my WiiM Amp via the Alexa Voice network in my home! But I can't figure out how to do it on my own.

How far have you got with your WiiM Amp, have you linked your Amazon/Alexa account to the WiiM Amp thru the Alexa menu on the WiiM Home app main Browse page?

See the first half of this response, up to “Now to the Echo Link” - if you have any questions, please ask

How far have you got with your WiiM Amp, have you linked your Amazon/Alexa account to the WiiM Amp thru the Alexa menu on the WiiM Home app main Browse page?

See the first half of this response, up to “Now to the Echo Link” - if you have any questions, please ask

I think I have it working now. I had it linked to Alexa already, but Alexa wasn't sending commands to the WiiM Amp. I changed the name of the device in the Amazon Alexa app and that seems to have solved the problem; I can now tell Alexa "Play X on Amazon Music on Streaming Amp" and I get a successful result.

I think I have it working now. I had it linked to Alexa already, but Alexa wasn't sending commands to the WiiM Amp. I changed the name of the device in the Amazon Alexa app and that seems to have solved the problem; I can now tell Alexa "Play X on Amazon Music on Streaming Amp" and I get a successful result.
I found that you can make an Alexa group around each room that has an Echo device and include the WiiM Amp as a part of that group. You will be able to just say "Alexa, play some music" and all devices you've associated with that Echo device will play.
I have multiple rooms associated with the multiple Echos so that I can start streaming to the room I'm in as well as any other speakers I've included. Works the same for lights and switches so you can simplify and say "Alexa, turn on the lights".
Helps me to keep things simple. (which I really need, lol)
Most of the time the WiiM app, Amazon Music and the Alexa app are synchronized in their display of what's playing, but other times not and I'm pretty sure it's on the Amazon side.

I found that you can make an Alexa group around each room that has an Echo device and include the WiiM Amp as a part of that group. You will be able to just say "Alexa, play some music" and all devices you've associated with that Echo device will play.
I have multiple rooms associated with the multiple Echos so that I can start streaming to the room I'm in as well as any other speakers I've included. Works the same for lights and switches so you can simplify and say "Alexa, turn on the lights".
Most of the time the WiiM app, Amazon Music and the Alexa app are synchronized in their display of what's playing, but other times not and I'm pretty sure it's on the Amazon side.
That‘s pretty close to what I say in point 3 of the link I posted. However, note that a particular echo device or by extension a WiiM device can only be in one such room group - you couldn’t have your WiiM Amp in your kitchen group as well as your living room group for example. You could however use the room group preferred speaker option to direct music requests to any speaker whether it’s in that group or not.

In your setup, does music then play on both the Amp and your Echo Dot? I wouldn't want that. I love the Dots, but the Amp is set up on a real stereo system. When I want that system playing music, I don't want to hear the tinny Dot, fun as it is on its own terms.

In your setup, does music then play on both the Amp and your Echo Dot? I wouldn't want that. I love the Dots, but the Amp is set up on a real stereo system. When I want that system playing music, I don't want to hear the tinny Dot, fun as it is on its own terms.
That entirely depends on which speakers or multi room music groups you have chosen to play the audio when you set up the group - they can either be part of the group or not.

The room where I have my Amp, I also have an Echo Dot. In the group speaker settings, I selected the Amp to play but not the Echo Dot when I ask for music. I also have that same Dot setup to start playing in other rooms as well, just not on itself.
Basically, the Dot acts like the Amp remote, but it can initiate other actions as well.

The room where I have my Amp, I also have an Echo Dot. In the group speaker settings, I selected the Amp to play but not the Echo Dot when I ask for music. I also have that same Dot setup to start playing in other rooms as well, just not on itself.
Basically, the Dot acts like the Amp remote, but it can initiate other actions as well.
Cool, that's exactly how I'd be using it as well. I use my Dots as "voice remotes" throughout my home.

Back