Unexpected WiiM Amp Behavior

Woody

Major Contributor
I've been really enjoying my WiiM Amp since I received it on Christmas Eve.

Yesterday I used the voice remote and ask it to "Play some music" which normally prompts the Amp to play tunes from Amazon Prime Music.
This time no music so I turned up the volume a couple of notches and still no sound, but I noticed the power light flashing red for a few moments. I went to my PC to look up the meaning of the flashing red light only to find that my internet was down from my ISP.

It was down for many hours, and I left home for a while. In the meantime, my ISP resolved their issues, and the internet was back online for the WiiM Amp.

The unexpected behavior was that when I returned home the Amp was playing uncomfortably loud and I imagine that it had been playing since the ISP came back online.
I suppose that it remembered the voice commands from hours ago and was playing at the volume I had set it to when trying to see if it was working initially.
Since I use several Echo Devices to play music around the house, I expected the WiiM Amp to behave in a similar way and not buffer the voice request like it did.
I'm not sure if buffering is needed for another purpose, but it seems it could be a bit problematic in the situation that I encountered and could be a concern for the speakers.
It also had to have come out of standby on its own too, which I guess is desired for some inputs but maybe not needed for streaming?
I just wanted to share so others may not be surprised like I was.

Hmm. It would be a real bummer if the amp didn't wake from a voice command to play music. I think perhaps in this unique circumstance you should prob unplug the amp until you return home?

Hmm. It would be a real bummer if the amp didn't wake from a voice command to play music. I think perhaps in this unique circumstance you should prob unplug the amp until you return home?
Yes, but should it buffer a voice command for hours? Echo devices don't. No internet, no action.
The WiiM Amp could easily have a verbal response that no internet connection and leave it at that.

I've been really enjoying my WiiM Amp since I received it on Christmas Eve.

Yesterday I used the voice remote and ask it to "Play some music" which normally prompts the Amp to play tunes from Amazon Prime Music.
This time no music so I turned up the volume a couple of notches and still no sound, but I noticed the power light flashing red for a few moments. I went to my PC to look up the meaning of the flashing red light only to find that my internet was down from my ISP.

It was down for many hours, and I left home for a while. In the meantime, my ISP resolved their issues, and the internet was back online for the WiiM Amp.

The unexpected behavior was that when I returned home the Amp was playing uncomfortably loud and I imagine that it had been playing since the ISP came back online.
I suppose that it remembered the voice commands from hours ago and was playing at the volume I had set it to when trying to see if it was working initially.
Since I use several Echo Devices to play music around the house, I expected the WiiM Amp to behave in a similar way and not buffer the voice request like it did.
I'm not sure if buffering is needed for another purpose, but it seems it could be a bit problematic in the situation that I encountered and could be a concern for the speakers.
It also had to have come out of standby on its own too, which I guess is desired for some inputs but maybe not needed for streaming?
I just wanted to share so others may not be surprised like I was.
You would think that it would respond to "Play some music" with something like, "I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that" in a HAL 9000 voice, or some indication that it's offline beyond a changed color on the power light. Agreed that it shouldn't buffer the voice command indefinitely.

It’s purely been a glitch with Alexa and Amazon Music which, on occasion, will respond on echos with a message along the lines of “I’m unable to complete your request at the moment, please try later” when it‘s having connectivity issues.

It’s purely been a glitch with Alexa and Amazon Music which, on occasion, will respond on echos with a message along the lines of “I’m unable to complete your request at the moment, please try later” when it‘s having connectivity issues.
Yes, the Echo devices respond with a red ring, a bong sound and message saying the internet is unreachable at this time. Is the WiiM Amp supposed to behave in the same way?
Majority of the time I will speak to an Echo device to make a request, but this time I used the Amp remote instead which only starts music playing on the Amp only instead of an Echo speaker group.

Yes, the Echo devices respond with a red ring, a bong sound and message saying the internet is unreachable at this time. Is the WiiM Amp supposed to behave in the same way?
Majority of the time I will speak to an Echo device to make a request, but this time I used the Amp remote instead which only starts music playing on the Amp only instead of an Echo speaker group.
Could well be a response coded into the echo firmware that might be useful for WiiM to emulate. I guess in your case Alexa had already received the request and had started to enact it just as the internet went down but I would have expected it to have not resumed when the connection was restored. I'd personally would have written it off as a one-off, but you could ask WiiM for an explanation via a ticket if you wish

Back