Alexa does not play to Wiim Pro Directly

dtc

I set up Wiim Pro with Alexa but Alexa does not seem to play to it directly and commands like Pause are not recognized. Seems like something is wrong with my Alexa setup

The Wiim Pro is a device within Alexa and it is set as a speaker. Alexa will not play to it directly. The voice command does not recognize the device.

I created a group (Grand) and put just the Wiim Pro in that group. Now I can play to Grand (Play Music on Grand). However, when playing, it does not recognize even simple commands like Pause.

Within the Wiim Home app under Browse - Amazon Alexa it shows I am logged into Alexa.

FYI - Alexa commands work fine with my Sonos setup, so it must be something with my WIim setup.

I must be missing something. Any help is appreciated.

I have an Echo Show and a Pro in an Alexa "Room".
The Pro is the designated speaker for the Show.
If I ask the Show to play something it diverts audio out to the Pro as I would expect. Stop, Pause etc all work.

I think you need a similar set up to enable subsequent commands to be identified as relating to your Pro.

I set up Wiim Pro with Alexa but Alexa does not seem to play to it directly and commands like Pause are not recognized. Seems like something is wrong with my Alexa setup

The Wiim Pro is a device within Alexa and it is set as a speaker. Alexa will not play to it directly. The voice command does not recognize the device.

I created a group (Grand) and put just the Wiim Pro in that group. Now I can play to Grand (Play Music on Grand). However, when playing, it does not recognize even simple commands like Pause.

Within the Wiim Home app under Browse - Amazon Alexa it shows I am logged into Alexa.

FYI - Alexa commands work fine with my Sonos setup, so it must be something with my WIim setup.

I must be missing something. Any help is appreciated.
Have you set it to always play on your group's speakers?
If not, I think you should include the group name in the command.

Also, if you start playback in the WiiM app, Alexa commands are usually not available. Commands are only available when played via Alexa. (However, if you include the device name in the command, it will work.)

I have an Echo Show and a Pro in an Alexa "Room".
The Pro is the designated speaker for the Show.
If I ask the Show to play something it diverts audio out to the Pro as I would expect. Stop, Pause etc all work.

I think you need a similar set up to enable subsequent commands to be identified as relating to your Pro.
Thanks. Since the Pro is the only speaker in my group, I did not think to set it to always play on it. But, that seems to work.

Now, it does not recognize the command Open Preset One which was supposed to have added. Any thoughts on that?

Have you set it to always play on your group's speakers?
If not, I think you should include the group name in the command.
Thanks. I did not get using the group name to work until I changed the Wiim to be the default speaker in the group, even though it is the only speaker in the group. Now that seems to work also.

It seems like I need to use the group name when I am using my dot, but not when I am using the Wiim remote.

Thanks. Since the Pro is the only speaker in my group, I did not think to set it to always play on it. But, that seems to work.

Now, it does not recognize the command Open Preset One which was supposed to have added. Any thoughts on that?
Sorry no.
The use case for Echo Show and Pro is for my wife to use in the kitchen in conjunction with a Topping amp that has auto power on over digital circuits and in Ceiling speakers where she can "Alexa play ..."
My use case doesn't involve Alexa. I can use Material on my phone to control LMS using the same Pro and Topping amp/speakers.
Meaning I don't go anywhere near the WiiM app and its pre-sets.

Thanks. My wife likes the Presets on the remote and I am trying to figure out how to use more than 4 of them from the remote. But that is another story.

It helps if you rename your WiiM in the Alexa app as Alexa (like lots of people) can easily get confused as to how to pronounce and interpret “WiiM” as part of the device name. For example, I call my WiiM Pro “Coax” as that’s how it’s connected to my amp.

While you can set your WiiM as preferred speaker in a room/ device group that contains the echo you make the request to, that’s not essential. For example, I can ask my echo plus “Alexa, play my good stuff playlist on coax” and it plays. Similarly I can simply ask the echo “Alexa, pause” or “Alexa, resume”. If you wish to be specific, you can ask “Alexa, pause/ resume music on coax”. Asking “Alexa, what’s playing” and it’ll respond even though the echo isn’t playing the track on its speaker but on “coax”.

WiiM have said they would enhance Alexa control, or indeed make it possible to use more than four presets on the remote, but until they do you can easily use Alexa routines to do in effect provide an equivalent. You can create one manually under the routines section on the Alexa app, or you can try asking “Alexa, when I say preset one, play my adhoc playlist”. In the latter case, you may need to use the alexa app to edit the routine to specify your WiiM device name. If you need help with this, let me know and I’ll walk you through setting up a voice triggered routine to play a specific playlist, album, genre etc

It seems like I need to use the group name when I am using my dot, but not when I am using the Wiim remote.
If you don’t tell the echo which device or group to play on, it will play on its own speaker. Using the WiiM remote is like speaking directly to an echo, so the music will play on the device the remote is paired with I.e. your WiiM.

Thanks all. I think I have the voice part working OK. Setting the Pro as the default device in the group did the trick.

Now, I just need to track down the Open Preset # command, but that is a separate issue.

Thanks again.

Now, I just need to track down the Open Preset # command, but that is a separate issue.
It doesn’t look like WiiM have implemented the Alexa commands identified in their FAQ entry, so you’ll need to go down the routine route I outlined until they do.

It doesn’t look like WiiM have implemented the Alexa commands identified in their FAQ entry, so you’ll need to go down the routine route I outlined until they do.
Thanks. I will confirm with Wiim what their intent is and then try the routines option. I use them for other things.

Just to confirm ,Wiim support has confirmed that the Alexa open preset command was never implemented.

Back